Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please Tell Me Your Post Op Story!

Hey all! I'm getting cold feet almost freezing actually. My biggest fear is the first couple of days post op. If you could please share with me your post op surgery story from the op room to home!!!

I think we all had cold feet at some point before surgery. Here's my story.. the honest truth!!! The day of the surgery I felt a little nausea in recovery which the quickly got under control. I felt great after that until I had to first try to get up to walk. The pressure on my stomach was pretty intense the first time, but that's what you get with any abdominal surgery. Every time I got up to walk was a little easier. and by the end of the day I was getting up with minimal pain. Day two I was feeling pretty good as well and not really taking any pain meds. They gave me some morphine right before taking out my drain and cathetor and I'm glad they did. It was not super painful but more uncomfortable. Night 2 was hard, I was out of the hospital and sleeping in a normal bed and had to get up several times overnight which was really painful from a completely flat position. Day 3 was probably the hardest of all post surgery. My stomach was spasiming/cramping quite a bit which is normal since your body is trying to figure out just what the heck happened. The nausea was better by day 4 although there was still some of the spasms going on. I would say the spasms lasted until the end of week two post op but got better every day. By the end of week three there were points where I amost forgot that I had surgery, except that I couldn't eat much.

Will you have some pain... Yes, will you have some nausea... Yes, will it be worth it... ABSOLUTELY!!!! Everyone's experience is a little different. I think the better the surgeon the better experience you have post op. The short term discomforts that you will expereince post op will soon fade and the long term success and happiness that comes with it will last and last and last.

Good luck on your surgery!!!!

Well I am at 8 days post op so it is all still fresh in my mind. Although maybe to fresh and I might make it worse for you! I walked into the OR, I got a local anesthetic for my IV which was AWESOME! It was just some lidocaine in the area of the IV which I thought was so unnecessary but then when the anesthesiologist did my IV I didn't feel a thing. Then he was talking to me and gave me some nice dream medicine and then next thing I remember was waking up in the recovery room. I was in pain and uncomfortable, I said I was in pain and then they gave me some medication and I went back to sleep. I got a PCA, which is a patient controlled analgesic machine. Pain button, I pushed it when I was in pain and then the pain went away. The first day wasn't fun, I was basically in and out of sleep all day. Towards the evening I was awake more, uncomfortable but not in horrible pain. Uncomfortable is a good way to describe it. My husband was there and we chatted on and off. I was still attached to all the monitors and was not allowed to get up until the next morning. The next morning I asked to get up, I walked to the bathroom, washed my face and body with these cleansing towels they gave me. My Foley had been taken out so I got to pee on my own. I walked the hallway for about 20 mins or so. I was less uncomfortable than the first day, but still in some discomfort. Mid morning I went for my leak test, which was fine except the stuff you have to drink is GROSS. It was over quickly though, so not so bad. Went back to my room, walked some more. slept some more. Once leak results were negative I was given clears to drink. Honestly I wanted ice and Water because my mouth was dry but I wasn't hungry. I drank some water, a little broth and slept some more. I walked more.. and more... and more... I got rid of the PCA and switched to Percocet. Slept fine that night with my pain pills on board. Went home the next morning, and have been home since. I'm walking a lot and having a hard time getting Protein in, but fluids are fine. I don't like the taste of the Protein Shakes, they all taste horrible to me. I am getting the unflavored ones and will be putting them in Soup etc... I think fluids is the most important thing the first week. At day 8 protein is getting easier and the shakes are more tolerable. The first couple days are hard, but not impossible by any stretch. I weighed myself yesterday which was 7 days and I lost 17lbs already. The beginning is hard, I won't lie but I know it will be worth it in the end. I want to be healthy and this small amount of discomfort and pain is all worth it!!!

You don't want my story....pure he'll since day 1 September 6th but it is getting better :-(

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/47767-anyone-have-a-relatively-easy-recovery-story/

Don't sweat it, even if the first few days are bad, it's such a small price to pay for the rest of your life back.

Here's a link for you to check out.

You don't want my story....pure he'll since day 1 September 6th but it is getting better :-(

Did you have any issues pre op? What was your starting weight?

Hey there!

I had my surgery on Sept. 4th. I went to the hospital at 5 in the morning, and had my IV and relaxation meds by 6:45. I remember laughing as the meds took effect. That is about all I remember until much later that day. When I woke back up I was back in my room surrounded by friends and family. I was in and out for a couple of hours. I don't remember being in any serious pain...but was sore and it was uncomfortable to take a super deep breath. I was getting ice chips that afternoon, and they had me up walking in the hall around 2pm. They even brought me my clear liquid meal that night for dinner. After they took our my catherter I had trouble peeing on my own so they had to do a small cath again. It was not bad....by that night around 7 I was peeing on my own. I had a "I peed in the potty party"!!!! I took my last pain meds in my IV around 8:30 that night and did not take any again until about 6 the next morning. Pain was not bad for me....just really sore. I was up walking every 3-4 hours and each time I walked a little farther.

The morning of the 5th they had me drinking 2.5 ozs every hour or so. They came and took out my IV and my drain. The drain removal was a little painful, but not passing out kind of pain. I was discharged by 10:45 that morning.

The first couple days at home I was having some uncomfortable gas pains, but was making sure to take a little gas-x and walk often. I was sore, but not in pain. I stopped taking my Liquid Lortab on Thursday... (surgery was Tuesday). I would recommend sleeping proped up with pillows...laying falt was not comfortable! I went out everyday and walked around Walmart a little bit...and Sunday I went to church and shopping. Not having any trouble with liquids...or keeping things down. I honestly have felt worse after having the flu!

I got my staples out yesterday and have felt great. I started driving again yesterday and have so much energy! I also went back to work on Monday 9/10.

I promise you might be in a little pain and discomfort, but in just the short time since my surgery I feel so much better with each pound that comes off. I feel like I am getting my life back!

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask any questions!