Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wls Is Taking The Easy Way Out

I saw (and currently see it the same way) that WLS is the "only way out"

I think in the coming years, more info about how hard it is to break the obesity cycle will come out. Just yesterday i heard of a study that showed that obese teens don't eat more then normal weight teens. I genuinely believe that once you are morbidly obese, you have all those fat cells, and all those metabolic triggers just waiting for a chance to get fat again. You can lose weight, but it is nearly impossible to keep it off. The sleeve will help with this issue, but of course maintenance remains a lifelong struggle due to the metabolic disease that nearly all obese people have.

so, the key is to never become obese, but once you are there, weight loss surgery is about the only way out.

I read the same article. They summed it up by saying that if you are fat beginning in childhood the body will do try to stat fat no matter what. Very interesting...

I had a guy say to me "oh, well wls is the easy way out ya puss" and my response to him was "well, at least I found a way out. How's the hard way working out for you?"

To fully appreciate this conversation, you gotta know that he is about 50 pounds less than I was at the beginning (one time a couple of years ago, for laughs in front of other guys, he gave me one of his winter vests that I liked, that was about 2 sizes too small for me, and told me that this would give me a goal to work towards) and he has gained about 5-10 pounds since my surgery, and I've lost 120. It was actually the first time I ever let myself get smug with someone over my weight.

P.s. I put on the vest in front of him the other day, and it was loose. Ahhhh life is good :)

I have come to the conclusion that I really could care less what others think about the surgery. They can think what they want, but I will always KNOW that it was the best decison of my life and that I will live a much longer and happier life because of it. I will KNOW that it was not "the easy way out" no matter what others think.

Personally I do believe it was the easy way. With the exception of my not so fun first six months this has been fairly easy. Why do people always want to struggle. I understand hard work and how by working hard and accomplishing a goal can provide satisfaction, but washing my car at the car wash makes me feel just as good as washing the car myself. I might save a little more money by washing it myself, but for me, I like the fact that someone else can wash it. Now if only I could get my MBA that easy! I do believe people who elect to have this surgery are fed up and tired of struggling. I do believe we had to make a scary and tough decision to go through with the surgery. For us, just to do that, says a lot about our character. We either felt hopeless and just like a drug addict had hit rock bottom or we knew that we could keep going year after year and opted to change our lives. We are not scared. We are strong. I see people everyday that need this surgery, but opt not to take a risk. We are risk takers! You don't get anywhere by sitting in the sidelines.

Great point June13! Maybe for some of us it is the easy way out (hopefully it will be for me!) Certainly easier than living the way I am right now!

And if there was a pill to cure cancer, would you take it? Or would you be prouder to say you bravely struggled with chemo, radiation, etc? Give me the easy way any day!

I'm not telling many people, not because I'm afraid they will think I took the easy way, but because I don't want them to know I was actually fat enough to qualify. Like they can't already see that! I know they can. I just prefer to maintain my delusions!

If you notice most of the people that say this are very overweight themselves, so I think it is pure jealousy. My standard answer to this is "So?". There isn't much they can say to that and just look confused for a minute and then walk away. Lol. I couldn't care less what other people think, I'm at a weight and clothing size I haven't been at in several years and I'm thrilled!!

I don't feel like this is the "easy way out"... Nothing about being overweight is EASY! I would say for the vast majority of us getting WLS is not the first attempt at weight loss... Most, if not all, of us have tried TONS of other things to lose weight with little or no success. So now we are chosing something that works for us! It is what it is people who make comments are either jelouse or they know nothing about the struggle it is to be over weight in a "hyperskinny" world!

Great point June13! Maybe for some of us it is the easy way out (hopefully it will be for me!) Certainly easier than living the way I am right now!

And if there was a pill to cure cancer, would you take it? Or would you be prouder to say you bravely struggled with chemo, radiation, etc? Give me the easy way any day!

I'm not telling many people, not because I'm afraid they will think I took the easy way, but because I don't want them to know I was actually fat enough to qualify. Like they can't already see that! I know they can. I just prefer to maintain my delusions!

Oh my God! I'm thinking the SAME thing! I don't want people to know that I'm FAT ENOUGH FOR SURGERY!! You're right! As if they can't already see that!!! LOL....

It's not easier though. People who decide to wake up on morning can diet and exercise and eat "normal" foods where as we wake up one morning after surgery and can't eat for a day..then have to drink this awful liquid to make sure we can start drinking Fluid. Only drink fluid for a few days, baby food it for 6 weeks only to eat 1/4 of the amount of food other people eat. And we have to continuously count calories carbs Proteins for the rest of our lives. Oh yeah, much easier :-/

Just last night I begged my husband not to tell his family about my decision to have this surgery. He was dumb.founded as to why I would feel this way.

If people only understood. There is NOTHING easy about this. First' date=' you have a person that has been tortured by the societal stigma of being fat. Being able to still face the world and all its prejudices takes a huge amount of courage. I know, I've been doing it since FIRST GRADE. But I persevered. Through my thin beautiful mother's disappointment in me, through elementary school, high school, college, professionally. Through my divorce and remarriage. Through medical diagnoses -- cancer, multiple sclerosis and lupus. Then you come to the decision to have SURGERY -- knowing the risks and the life changing consequences. But you are willing to risk your life and endure major, BODY/LIFE altering SURGERY for the chance to be finally be free of the self loathing and have peace in your soul.

By the time you come to this decision you probably possess more courage and character than they could possibly understand and could possibly hope to possess.

.[/quote']

I wish I could have voiced it this well. Thank you!

VSG or any weight loss surgery isn't the easy way out. WLS has a very high mortality rate for elective surgery -- so we are risking our lives just by getting on the operating table. So you make it out of surgery alive -- then you spend the next 6 months it was for me -- figuring out how to eat with this new banana shaped stomach that holds not very much food. I struggled with solid food. I was nauseous constantly. I couldn't eat anything but Soup comfortably for nearly 6 months. I developed gastric reflux that I never had before my sleeve. I had other digestive issues that took time to resolve. Four months after surgery my hair fell out -- not some of my hair but the majority of my hair fell out.

How is this the easy way? I am 15 months out of surgery -- I have lost 125 pounds. I have to work on my desire to compulsively overeat or eat for emotional reasons every single day. Yes, my sleeve makes me acutely aware of feeling full. Yes, taking to big or fast a bite of food at the beginning of a meal can mean my meal is over until the food has moved down my narrow redesigned stomach. My GERD continues to be a problem but I'm more used to it. I am healthier. I don't take any medication anymore. I feel better. I can walk around, climb stairs, take walks, be active without having joint pain or shortness of breath. I extended my life and improved the quality of my life.

It doesn't count because I did it with the help of surgery? Tell the people who say that to "cheat" and have weight loss surgery and then tell me about how easy it was.

Being healthier and living longer and better is what counts. How you achieve that is your own business.

Hey Raven.... My parents & whole family were one of those people who thought this operation was the easy way out.... and God knows how many days I spent trying to convince them...why... cause my dad was paying for it :(...... they don't know how it is to spend 30 years struggling with weight & moving from one doctor to another & one diet to another... they don't know that food is an addiction as well as drugs & alcohol.... and I am sad to say I was a food addict.... can they imagine someone who can't stop eating for 24 hours.... who is blindly led to the fridge and couldn't help it... so when I started choking in my sleep many times, and had an almost stroke... I just had to stop and think..... I'm going to die soon and my kids will grow up without a mom.... so I had to do this and I fought for it..... I didn't have the money or the support but I struggled and in the end, I didn't get any support from anybody, but at least I got the money :)))

people say c section is the easy way out.

these "people" are always men or women who chose "natural birth" (usually in a wading pool in their basement but i wont go there".

im three weeks out tomorrow and still too weak to leave my bed. ya this is super easy!