Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reading Everyone's Comments

Just to clarify' date=' I don't think surgery is as painful as child birth. I just mean that the end results far outweigh all of the negatives that may come along with the journey of getting there. I've had 4 other surgeries since I was sleeved. Believe me, being sleeved was a walk in the park in comparison![/quote']

you walk in a different park than i do. vsg was much harder that pregnancy (ive been pregnant six times). and believe me honey, i wont be forgetting the feeling of uncontrollable ful body spasms while people discussed how to keep me alive.

every aspect of thia surgery needs to be conaidered before people move forward. i will be bed ridden for six weeks. who the hell cares how skinny you are when you cant leave your room. im 49 and now use a cane full time and a walker at night. i was running on the beach with my child three weeks ago.....

Thank you all so much! It means the world to me that you are willing to share your stories with me. I identify with just about everything. I know I need help. I've been tying to loose weight for years, only to gain it back and then some. High blood pressure, type II diabetes, hashimotos disease....... Keep me swimming upstream in this fight. I've had two breast reductions, a lump removed from under my arm and a few other minor surgeries. And I was a Marine, so you think I'd be unafraid of a little pain! All prayers welcome! I know I need to do this and make the best of it.

you walk in a different park than i do. vsg was much harder that pregnancy (ive been pregnant six times). and believe me honey, i wont be forgetting the feeling of uncontrollable ful body spasms while people discussed how to keep me alive.

every aspect of thia surgery needs to be conaidered before people move forward. i will be bed ridden for six weeks. who the hell cares how skinny you are when you cant leave your room. im 49 and now use a cane full time and a walker at night. i was running on the beach with my child three weeks ago.....

We do indeed walk in different parks. I have never been pregnant. I can however relate to being bed ridden and walking with a cane. A few months after my surgery I was diagnosed with a tumor AND a rare neurological disorder. On a positive note, the tumor was benign. However, it was very large and took over about 1/3 of my spinal cord. It caused a significant amount of nerve damage in my legs that I'm still dealing with even though the tumor was removed last summer. I can't feel my legs properly, thus the use of a cane. I don't use it as much as I used to, though. As far as my neurological disorder goes, I had surgery for that in June. A part of my skull and spine had to be removed b/c my brain is larger than my skull and it creates an enormous amount of pressure in my head and causes me to fall all the time ( nerve damaged legs don't help! ) among other things. For me, having part of my tummy sucked out was a walk in the park compared to having 1/3 of my spine taken apart, having an extensively intricate tumor removed, and then having my spine put back together. And it was also a walk in the park compared to having brain/cranial surgery. I'm only 30. I'm not married and I will more than likely not be able to be pregnant b/c of my spinal and neurological issues. The past 18 months have been very difficult and getting thinner has been one of the positive things in my life! :)

Im sorry your experience isnt going that great. Im not trying to lessen your experience or get your sympathy by telling you my story. And I do agree that all possibilities need to be explored and considered. Everyone has a different experience and it's interesting to see different perspectives, too.

Neither the tumor nor the neurological disorder were caused by my WLS. In fact, if I hadn't had the WLS, I'd be probably be paralyzed right now b/c my excessive weight would have delayed my surgery the tumor would have completely destroyed my nerves. WLS saved my life in more than one way and I'm a big fan of it.

I haven't had any children' date=' so I may be way off base here, but I equate surgery to being pregnant and giving birth. Sure you might have morning sickness, and swelling, and feel awful while you are preggers, and childbirth can be all kinds of painful from what I hear, but the end result, being your child, is totally worth it. Surgery, and post op issues that may arise, and getting used to a new way of life is painful at times, but in the end, I think it's totally worth it! Don't let the comments get ya down! :)[/quote']

:) the two do not EVEN begin to compare to one another :) <3 not even remotely close ;)

I'm one month out from being sleeved and I have to admit reading everyones posts is scaring the you know what out of me! I'm truly grateful for the honesty! I just don't know if I'm cut out for all the pain and inability to eat and obtain energy again.

My experience has been an absolute fairy tale!! No pain, no problems, no lack of energy, in fact I'm overflowing with it now!!! I can not complain about a moment of ANYthing. Most people don't post a lot of things about doing well, so you hear a lot of negative experiences. There's more of a chance that everything will go just fine for you than not. Really.

I had a great and trouble free recovery. Sure I have had to make changes, but that was the point of doing this. To make changes. I don't regret having the surgery, not for a minute. I also think anyone who says they wouldn't have done it if they knew it would be hard clearly didn't research the surgery prior.

We do indeed walk in different parks. I have never been pregnant. I can however relate to being bed ridden and walking with a cane. A few months after my surgery I was diagnosed with a tumor AND a rare neurological disorder. On a positive note' date=' the tumor was benign. However, it was very large and took over about 1/3 of my spinal cord. It caused a significant amount of nerve damage in my legs that I'm still dealing with even though the tumor was removed last summer. I can't feel my legs properly, thus the use of a cane. I don't use it as much as I used to, though. As far as my neurological disorder goes, I had surgery for that in June. A part of my skull and spine had to be removed b/c my brain is larger than my skull and it creates an enormous amount of pressure in my head and causes me to fall all the time ( nerve damaged legs don't help! ) among other things. For me, having part of my tummy sucked out was a walk in the park compared to having 1/3 of my spine taken apart, having an extensively intricate tumor removed, and then having my spine put back together. And it was also a walk in the park compared to having brain/cranial surgery. I'm only 30. I'm not married and I will more than likely not be able to be pregnant b/c of my spinal and neurological issues. The past 18 months have been very difficult and getting thinner has been one of the positive things in my life! :)

Im sorry your experience isnt going that great. Im not trying to lessen your experience or get your sympathy by telling you my story. And I do agree that all possibilities need to be explored and considered. Everyone has a different experience and it's interesting to see different perspectives, too.

Neither the tumor nor the neurological disorder were caused by my WLS. In fact, if I hadn't had the WLS, I'd be probably be paralyzed right now b/c my excessive weight would have delayed my surgery the tumor would have completely destroyed my nerves. WLS saved my life in more than one way and I'm a big fan of it.[/quote']

wow tiffers....you and should find some better parks to walk in my dear! our are full of pot holes. you my dear have been through the ringer. im glad some things are looking up for you, and i hope as the medical world improves that they are able to find ways to make your life even better!

did you make me feel you lessened my story because you told me yours? reality checks arent a bad thing tiff. one of my favorite hospital stories is about my baby when he was around ten months old. i was sitting in the play room with another mom and we were discussing how lucky we had it in comparison to so many of the children in the room. my son had just been cleared of the fatal disorder they thought he had but was wearing na ng tube and kept knocking into other kids when he tried to use it as a stand. another child, maybe five, pulled himself to his hips on a wheelchair but when the chair moved he went flat on his face. he had a brain tumer at three months. one day a normal baby and now completely paralized with limited brain function. and she felt her life was "lucky".

sometimes perspective is a good thing to understand! if its done with grace and kindness as yours was.

that little boy died, but his mom thought they were one of the lucky ones. i took my baby home alive. even when i have abad day i have to rememberthere are worse out there.

i hope you are able to win this battle tiffers :). you deserve it

If you'll keep your eye on the prize through the not-so-great times it doesn't seem like such an overwhelming journey. I have found it exciting and refreshing to do things totallly differently, because what i WAS doing wasn't working for me and I was unhappy. and unhealthy. I've enjoyed the changes i've had to make and when i step on the scales and put on clothes that didn't fit 1 month ago it's all worth while and I feel great. Its great knowing that i will be successful for sure this time..This is what keeps me going...Good luck and chances are you WILL be successful as well!

I also use imagery, to picture in my head, me standing looking in the mirror with my old size 5 jeans on and picture in my head how i'm going to look it keeps me motivated very well. I enjoy going to that place in my mind that shows me what the outcome of all of this work will be like....

I had my surgery 8/31 and have no regrets! I have fought the weight battle for more than 10 years and finally decided I needed a new & improved weapon for the fight. Yes, I am well aware I will have to work at it for the rest of my life, but I believe this weapon will help me finally win.

As for pain, I can honestly say I never felt much. Just kinda felt like I had done 1000 situps. I had some nausea the first 2 nights, but they just put meds in my iv and it was under control, I still have some gas, my stomach still feels swollen, but it doesn't hurt at all.

My only issue (if I really had to look for one) is that I have suffered from insomnia for years and I cant take my sleep meds until I am on mushies. That's why I'm writing this at 2:17 am. But it's a very small price to pay.

I still have the palate of a 12-year old so I'm very picky. I'm getting Protein in by mixing unflavored powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury in with my broth and in my crystal light and propel drinks. I can't taste anything but the drink flavor. I ordered sample packets of every kind of Protein I heard was decent and am looking forward to trying them when I'm on full liquids.

Is it a walk in the park? Depends on your point of view I guess. So far, so good for me. My surgery was last Friday, I went home Monday and was at work on Wednesday because I felt so good. Just took it easy and didn't try anything crazy. I have no regrets at all. I researched everything and decided that for me, the advantages far outweighed any disadvantages. I wish you the best in your decision.

Every recovery is different' date=' remember that. I'm a few days out and my recovery has been so good. Not a lot of pain at all. I am struggling with eating/drinking but it's because I'm really trying not to vomit so I'm being super cautious with how much I take in. Someone said it in another post and I remembered it....people don't post about their good/easy recoveries a ton. Maybe because they want to have compassion for those that have bad recoveries (it may feel like you're bragging or whatever). If you look around a little though, there are threads where people talk about having great recoveries with no issues.

Try to stay positive....hang in there. :-)

Sent using VST[/quote']

This is very true. I have had a great recovery. I was sleeved on 8/23 and left in my RV for an 8 day camping/ road trip. No problems except gout from the 12 lbs I lost so quickly. I have never been nauseous or vomited and I have been eating mushy foods since day 9. I have pushed it when I have felt I could handle it. I don't reccomend anyone to not follow doc orders but I have tolerated everything so far and I do not feel deprived and I have found if I have a bite or two of something I really want I end up enjoying my Protein shakes as a main source and am really enjoying them now. I guess because it is now a choice. I love my sleeve and I am down 30lbs total.

My op was on 6/26. I posted yesterday as I was feeling very sorry for myself with quite a few post op issues. I got some lovely comments on the thread, some private messages and I met some friends in the afternoon which really cheered me up.

I have had a good think to myself on how to turn all this into a positive. I have lost 34lbs which seems to be a lot less than some, but I know I would never have the motivation to do it myself and at the end of the day that's a great weight loss. I am going to join the gym after work tonight and stop feeling sorry for myself and take some control.

I have been given the privilege of being allowed this op and I am going to make the most of it.

Good luck in whatever you decide.