Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Complications Could Cause Me To Have Bypass!

My sleeve is swollen and tight after almost five weeks post op!!!! Surgeon is saying I may have to have the bypass if it doesn't resolve on its own. Has anyone else had this problem?????? Any suggestions????

You have already done exactly what you needed to do: talked to your doctor. Try not to worry, be kind to your sleeve and only take in liquids, oh, and try not to worry :-(

Hi,how tight?why would the bypass fix this?Im just interested to know what the surgeon said.

xxo

My sleeve was swollen completely shut immediately following surgery. Today, 12 weeks post-op, my capacity is still relatively limited (I'm only able to eat about 2 oz of dense Protein at a time), but my surgeon isn't concerned about this...it will just take time for the inflammation to resolve completely.

I'm sorry to hear you're still having issues...I hope things sort themselves out for you quickly!!

Laura

Do you have a stricture? This is the consensus order of treatment:

Table 8

Treatment options for strictures in order of implementation

1. Observation

2. Endoscopic dilation

3. Seromyotomy

4. Conversion to RYGB

From the report in this post: http://www.verticals...-of-12000-cases

Good luck.

But why GB for a stricture?Many GB patients get strictures for which they have to have a dilatation.

My sleeve is swollen and tight after almost five weeks post op!!!! Surgeon is saying I may have to have the bypass if it doesn't resolve on its own. Has anyone else had this problem?????? Any suggestions????

I am not a doctor but going straight to a bypass, sounds as if your surgeon is jumping the gun a bit. What happened to trying a dilation? Read what lollyfidy1965 said about her sleeve and the response from her doctor. Think I would fight a bit more before agreeing to a full bypass at this point.

I totally agree. Tht is why I am asking others out there if they had the same problem. Please spread the word for me so I can get opinions.

We all have opinions here, but the only one that matters is your doc's and yours. Talk with you doc about doing a dilation first and see if it clears up and then go from there. What does your body tell you? Listen to your inner wisdom and see what comes up. That may help some. Best wishes.....

I don’t; get why you would have bypass the only thing they can do from the bypass is move your intestines that doesn’t solve your stomach issue.

Btw you can take the full 8 weeks or more to heal that’s why they say 6-8 weeks for internal healing some people heal slower so if you’re a 8 weeks or longer person your going to be sore and swollen for more than 8 weeks.

To me its jumping the gun I was swollen still past 8 weeks, even the small amount fo food I eat in one sitting I can see my stomach stick out like I binge ate and stuffed myself with buckets of chicken and pizzas its kinda funny considering its just 1oz of food nothing at all crazy but it sticks out when its full!

I think we also worry and over stress about everything in the early stages so the tight full feeling from being swollen turns into oh my god it went wrong its too small I have a leak I will never be able to eat/drink more I did such a bad thing to myself fix me fix me!!!

Your doctor should have told you to maybe cut back n portion size and wait a few more weeks for the swelling to go down.

I had to backtrack to the soft stages and work my way forward again because when I hit solids it was ridicules and I just puked all the time.

I am not getting in any good at all and barely 10 oz of fluids per day. This is much more than just giving myself time to heal.

I am not getting in any good at all and barely 10 oz of fluids per day. This is much more than just giving myself time to heal.

My surgery date was july 16th & liquids hv been rough on me from the get go. I prob get abt that much in & on good days a little more. I tried lemon lime gatorade friday night & actually drank tht pretty good. Its crazy tht i hv more prob drinking then I do eating.

My stomach was swollen for abt 6-8 weeks also.

I wld research more & take your info with your questions to your doctor. Get second opions if tht will help you get peace of mind. Everyone heals differently. My cousin had his surgery in may & he has a hard time eating certain meats. Mine ws n July & I do grt with meats, its the starchy food i hv a hard time with. Everyone is diff & every doctor is different. Be open & honest w yours & tell him your concerns, ask how a bypass will help (you may hv already). This is your body, ask away. Please keep us updated on your recovery. Thx

I may not understand completely exactly what your dealing with but 5 weeks out was tough for me including Soup I was getting about 15-20oz total a day for everything.

food never stayed in me I puked all food up pretty much so I just went back to Soups and even then I started puking that up too.

In Fluid today I do like 25-30oz a day now this includes ice poles I am 3 and half months out and eat total in the whole day about 5oz of food if I am lucky.

It got to the point I did get mad and kicked off at them that’s when they told me to go back a couple of stages and cut down how much I tried to eat the standard 40z thing half a cup was too much for me, its still too much for me now I only eat 1oz portions and drinking 4 or 5 mouthfuls and I have to wait about 20mins mins or up it comes again.

They were gonna check me for scare tissue but when I cut back on portion size and stopped trying to drink so much I puke way less not completely never again half a teaspoon more than I should and blugh up it all comes but its easier not trying to be the standard this is what you do at this stage cookie cutter info and tailor it to my own personal needs.

I do what I can manage if I can’t increase my intake in 3 months to 4oz at a sitting they will check for scare tissue.

I just personally don’t see how moving your intestines will fix the issues with your stomach they can’t reopen your stomach put it back then do the bypass you don’t have the rest of your stomach to do that with.

Going bypass to sleeve is easy because you keep the rest of your stomach in bypass its just closed off so they can convert.

I’m not a medical doctor just going by what I know of the 2 ops and my own personal experience of having a hard time drinking and eating, so I am wondering how this is meant to help you eat and drink when all it will do is make you absorb even less of what you can barely take in right now.

Like are they thinking if they do the intestine move you will loose more weight so that’s the end result they are happy with?

Or do they honestly think it will make you eat and drink more?

You must be severely dehydrated by now after only 10oz of fluids per day for 5 weeks.If it is a stricture it will not go away by itself and you need to get someone to help you.If it is swelling my dr gave my cortizone (with manitol I think) to reduce the swelling.

When I had dehydration, my stomach was swelled also. This is a good time to go get an IV for hydration and see how that affects your stomach. Just food for thought, I am not a medical doc. :)