Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello VSG world. Had my pysch appointment this morning. Got cleared. I kinda worked myself up thinking what kind of stuff they would ask me. It was pretty painless. Longest and hardest part was filing out all the new patient paperwork. She asked me if i knew what the surgery was about. Do I understand it's a lifestyle change. I will only be able to eat small amounts of food. Have I ever taken psych meds. How was my childhood. How was highschool. Told me 3 words at the start of the session and halfway through it she asked what those words were(hair,dog,money). Asked me to spell WORLD and asked me to spell it backwards. Made me repeat a couple sentences. Asked me what I would do if I seen a letter on the ground next to one of those big blue post office boxes.( I said I would look at it and keep on moving. She laughed.) Then asked me what I would do if I seen a house with smoke coming out of the window. Asked what I did for work, change in my sleeping habits. Any family history of mental illness. What kind of support group do I have. Pretty much just smalled talked with me for the rest of the session, being that I work as a nurse on a mental health unit in a prison. She was pretty intrigued with my job. Hopefully this little rant helps answer some questions you guys have about upcoming psych appts.

It does actually, I haven't had my psych visit yet - Thanks

I also had to take a 400 question test! Like the kind you would take in school where you had to fill in the little circles...lol

It actually kind of amused me , one question was do the voices in your head tell you to kill people!!!

Then I got kinda disturbed thinking some people might actually say yes!

Had mine today! Only 30 minutes and easy as pie. 400 questions??!! We basically chatted (he and his wife have had the surgery!) and he asked the basic questions.

Hello VSG world. Had my pysch appointment this morning. Got cleared. I kinda worked myself up thinking what kind of stuff they would ask me. It was pretty painless. Longest and hardest part was filing out all the new patient paperwork. She asked me if i knew what the surgery was about. Do I understand it's a lifestyle change. I will only be able to eat small amounts of food. Have I ever taken psych meds. How was my childhood. How was highschool. Told me 3 words at the start of the session and halfway through it she asked what those words were(hair,dog,money). Asked me to spell WORLD and asked me to spell it backwards. Made me repeat a couple sentences. Asked me what I would do if I seen a letter on the ground next to one of those big blue post office boxes.( I said I would look at it and keep on moving. She laughed.) Then asked me what I would do if I seen a house with smoke coming out of the window. Asked what I did for work, change in my sleeping habits. Any family history of mental illness. What kind of support group do I have. Pretty much just smalled talked with me for the rest of the session, being that I work as a nurse on a mental health unit in a prison. She was pretty intrigued with my job. Hopefully this little rant helps answer some questions you guys have about upcoming psych appts.

Thanks! Very helpful info. I have my psych eval on 10/5. I am on medication for depression. I hope the doctor gives me a thumbs up. She's the same one that put me on antidepressants.

I wish mine was that painless! I really hate tests! I had the 385 true false question test, memory tests, other puzzles(I didn't understand that part) and spent only about 15 mins with the actual dr and all this took 4 hrs. I was starting to get bored lol. I've heard of other people who just talked to the dr for like an hour and got approved. She actually said my OCD may keep me from getting approved bc I may not be able to ritualize thru the day when I'm trying to heal. I was starting to think she was the crazy one lol

My first of two psych appts was yesterday. The psychologist was a sweet older man and we chatted for 45 minutes about all kinds of things. Of course, he was taking notes the entire time. He said he thinks I'm a "wonderful candidate" and that I am informed and ready. I have one more session with him next week where he will prepare his report and give me his recommendation.

My eval was on 9/27, I was there for about 30 mins. He was a nice guy asked me about my support system, drinking habits, etc. No quizzes or puzzles, lol! I too have ocd, he asked how I control it since I don't take meds. I explained that the meds make me feel to muted and I am able to control my compulsive behaviors/rituals by taking a step back and trying to see the bigger picture. I do have bad days, but they are far and few between. In the end he gave me the okay!! But I can't begin to express how worked up I got myself over the appointment, I am glad it wasn't as in depth as some of you had to experience :)

Hi guys. I had my evaluation on the 4th. Had 344 mental health questions and about another 100 questions about my dietary habits. Most of the questions about my mental health were really funny and out of this world. "The voices inside my head are louder than the voices outside my head." Then I had to chat with the doc for about 30 minutes. He says I'm going to be a great patient and should have great success.

All in all it seemed a big waste of time. Honestly I didn't learn anything new about myself and it just wasted a couple hours of my time. I already know what to expect and I have reasonable expectations. But at least that is one more requirement that I can check off and I can move on. Surgery will hopefully be October 24th or 25th. Yay! =)

Wow! I guess I was really lucky to have such a quick & easy appointment. No puzzles or quizzes for me either! I feel fit those of tounwhomhad tongi through that.

But we're all one step closer!!!

Had mine today! Only 30 minutes and easy as pie. 400 questions??!! We basically chatted (he and his wife have had the surgery!) and he asked the basic questions.

Yea, mine was too! I worked myself up for nothing.

My eval is monday so this is really helpful. Thanks!

Good luck Everlag! =)

I was nervous for my psych. Apt.- there's a history of mental illness in my family (depression, bi-polar)- thinking I'll be denied for toomany "issues". The psych. was wonderful- some questions but not like a quiz - nothing to spell or remember for later (wow, that was weird!) I wish I could see her again-excellent discussion about my past relationship with food, nutrition and diet and my expectations and desire for a permanent life-altering change. I can't imagine not taking this procedure seriously, but the psych. eval. probably reflects whether or not this is true for you. Good luck to those who haven't gone yet- you'll be fine. Just be educated and honest!