Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gain With Birth Control

I had my surgery July 9th and my weight loss was great. I started my birth control once I got my period, stepped in the scale one morning and all of a sudden I gained 6lbs. The weight is coming down about a 1lb a week and it's very frustrating. Has this happened to anyone? I feel like getting off the BC but if I got pregnant that would be a whole separate problem. Please help

Kellee

birth control has been talked about pretty frequently here. it is generally said that you should have 2 forms of birth control.. ie: pill + condoms or implant & condoms or shot & condoms.. or whatever.. but you need a backup. the pill itself seems to not work as effectively, because your stomach doesn't absorb it the same way.

I had my surgery July 9th and my weight loss was great. I started my birth control once I got my period' date=' stepped in the scale one morning and all of a sudden I gained 6lbs. The weight is coming down about a 1lb a week and it's very frustrating. Has this happened to anyone? I feel like getting off the BC but if I got pregnant that would be a whole separate problem. Please help

Kellee[/quote']

I am getting an IUD because pills are problematic in many ways.

I am getting an IUD because pills are problematic in many ways.

I will never recommend any IUD to any one,I have gained 14 lbs in last 5 months despite of efforts,watchful eating and exercise....i had mirena and I m going to get it removed at my earliest.

Sent from my iPad using VST

My Obgyn took me off the pill when I discussed I was having the surgery. I Have the implant in my arm low estrogen so no weight gain or crazy hormones. No issues thus far that are noticeable I'm only 3 weeks out though hope this helps good luck

I had mirena put in three months after my surgery and I haven't had any issues... It did not slow my weight loss at all. I'm almost a year out and down almost 150lbs.

i've told this story before...

one of my guy friends was telling me about one of his ex girlfriend.. i guess they were getting busy & her IUD poked him right in the pee hole... the look of horror on his face from just remembering the experience was funny, but i had never even thought about that happening before... but i guess it can.

also.. IUD's can poke holes in your uterus... which is a bad thing, for numerous reasons.... your uterus is often part of or responsible for a lot of your orgasms.. when women have their uterus removed (hysterectomy) they often lose the ability to have an orgasm all together.. and if they do, they're often a shadow of what they used to be before they had their uterus taken out.... so just keep that in mind.... doctors don't usually tell you about that, but i've seen countless thousands of internet posts from women, talked to a lot of women & spoken with various sex therapists and gurus about that (and other things).. to me, it's not worth it.. i wouldn't want to risk anything poking my partner in the pee hole (once i get a partner.... >.>) or poking a hole through my uterus.

if i HAD to do birth control for myself, i'd use shots or those implant things like VirticalMorey was talking about. the pill is good for regulating hormones, but not for stopping birth when you've had WLS. so... yeah..

if you DON'T want children at all.. consider having your husband (if you have one) get a vasectomy.. it's an out-patient procedure & is a lot less invasive than having your tubes tied.. alternately, it's possibly reversible should you change your mind... there's also the Essure procedure... http://www.essure.com/ << it blocks your fallopian tubes. you still ovulate & have periods & stuff, but your eggs will just dissolve into your body, instead of go to your uterus. you basically make yourself sterile. it's also an out-patient procedure.

Wait what? pills aren't effecitve. This is news to me.

My surgeon and nurses know I'm on birth control pills and have never said anything about it. I will have to ask at my appointment this week. That's scary.

I will never recommend any IUD to any one' date='I have gained 14 lbs in last 5 months despite of efforts,watchful eating and exercise....i had mirena and I m going to get it removed at my earliest.

Sent from my iPad using VST[/quote']

I have a Paragard IUD which is copper and no hormones. So far so good. I've had it for about 8 months now. No additional weight gain.

Mirena is more popular than Paragard now because with the added hormones, it can make your period "go away", also they have a lot more marketing in the US. But elsewhere in the world, Paragard is more popular.

also.. IUD's can poke holes in your uterus... which is a bad thing' date=' for numerous reasons.... your uterus is often part of or responsible for a lot of your orgasms.. when women have their uterus removed (hysterectomy) they often lose the ability to have an orgasm all together.. and if they do, they're often a shadow of what they used to be before they had their uterus taken out.... [/quote']

Say what? The uterus isn't responsible for orgasm.... And if women who have had a hysterectomy have problems, it's more likely a hormonal issue.

Say what? The uterus isn't responsible for orgasm.... And if women who have had a hysterectomy have problems, it's more likely a hormonal issue.

*sigh* i've gone over this before.. also, you didn't read my statement.. i said the "uterus is OFTEN PART OF or responsible for a lot of orgasms"

i phrased it that way because i realize that EVERY woman is different. women orgasm differently. i, personally, KNOW that i have uterine orgasms, so i'm not willing to personally risk something damaging my uterus. i *CAN* have other kinds of orgasms, too, but the ones where your uterus contracts are really amazing. it really depends on what kind of orgasms you have & are used to. some women don't have any change in their ability to orgasm.. others have better orgasms.. but most commonly, i have found that women are disappointed with the quality of their orgasms, if they even have them at all after a hysterectomy.

quote from myself:

i've spent a lot of time studying sex and stuff. i know women *CAN* have orgasms without a uterus, but over the YEARS of research i've done, THOUSANDS of conversations and posts on forums and studies i've read.. they all say that it's "not the same" that it's "different" etc.. a lot of women can't orgasm or they're not as strong without their uterus. the uterus contracts when you have an orgasm.. that's also why too many orgasms while pregnant can lead to a miscarriage.

i've consulted with sex therapists, doctors, etc.. please don't assume that everyone on the internet is a total moron. sometimes i will just say things in a simple way, to get enough of my point across, so it can be easily understood & i don't have to write 100 pages about why i said what i said.

a lot of women who have had hysterectomies have regretted getting them, because their sex life has gone totally downhill because they can't get off... with or without their S/O..

you can do your own research. i'm not denying that you CAN have an orgasm without a uterus, but from everything i've read, women i've talked with, read posts from on various forums, and talked with doctors and therapists about.. it's not the same at all & because of that, i would *NEVER* want my uterus removed or damaged. IMO it'd be like a guy chopping off his testes or removing his prostate. it just wouldn't be the same.

Quotes from some women:

"In the year following my surgery, I have definitely had the experience of having an orgasm and then thinking, "Where's the rest of it? Where's the back end of it? Where's that final cadence and chord?""

"I lost my ability to have uterine contractions when orgasming. I don't orgasm as often (rarely now) and they kind of get to a peak but don't finish. That is with clitoris stimulation. I don't have any orgasms now from penetration. All doctors say that your sex should be the same or better but it is not true. If there was never a problem why do they admitt that some women will have different types of sexual dysfunction after a hysterectomy. It has happened to me! My hubby and I have tried every toy, position, jelly, cream, positive thoughts and prayers and nothing. It is not in my mind or the countless other women who have sexual dysfuntion. Try your other options first so at least you won't regret having the surgery."

"Through cancer, I had to have a radical hysterectomy and oopherectomy when I was 44.

My gynae told me that I would have sexual dysfunction, ie as my cervix had been removed, it wasn't possible to vibrate during sex, hence no orgasm. He also told me that as I was going to go into an early menopause, I would have dryness issues etc.

My experience is that I now find it impossible to orgasm satisfactorily. I can enjoy sex, but it's definitely not the same.

He was wrong about the dryness issues - none at all.

The other thing that hasn't been mentioned, is that by removing all female organs, I now don't have the natural oestregon that makes you a woman. Not having the same hormone level has definitely had an effect. My skin is poorer and I have aged; I don't feel the same about myself sexually and despite being a really positive person,just feel I'm not the same person any more. I sense a definite loss which I could never have envisaged.

HRT definitely helped and I felt so much better in myself. It compensated for all the menopausal issues etc.

However, it might be worth noting that one year after the womb cancer, I got breast cancer and had to have a mastectomy so that didn't do a lot for my femininity lol

I know this all sounds very negative and I really didn't want it to. Yes it has affected my sexuality; something I miss terribly, but hey I'm glad to be alive!!!"

"Don't know whether to feel bad or envious of the women who say their orgasms have not changed or are better post hysterectomy. They certainly never had the full deep uterine orgasm that would put me in spasms of back arching ecstasy over and over again. The orgasms I have now, 3 months after hysterectomy (kept my ovaries and cervix) are all in my clitoral and vagina area. I used to think of these as just warm ups - something I could get to with foreplay or maybe at initial penetration. In the past ocassionally they would be it if I was tired or sick, but now it is all I am getting. I am very sad about this, as I am only 46, but have decided not to talk to my husband about it because I know it will affect his enjoyment knowing the orgasms I am now getting are not the thrill they used to be. The uterus is gone. Nothing he can do can help me feel uterine contractions again."

"I had a hysterectomy two months ago now and I also miss the uterine orgasms. My orgasms are still good, just missing the "bass clef" of the song. I thought everyone's orgasms were like that, but I guess we were just lucky to have them while we did.

Reading your posts, now I feel normal. Thanks."

"I would never recommend hysterectomy to anyone and I despise my surgeon for inadequately warning me. Like yours, he lied about the role of the cervix and uterus during orgasm. I didn''t even KNOW I was having uterine orgasms UNTIL THEY CEASED TO EXIST after surgery. I had no idea. It used to be difficult for me to orgasm but once it happened, it was huge, the kind where you have trouble walking afterward. Now, it''s like, Oh, that tickled. In looking back, there were clues. For instance, unlike some women, I could not orgasm without something inside of me. Now I know why ... the cervix and uterus were very much a part of everything. I no longer have any breast sensation. Oh, I can feel them being fondled, but maybe because of all the nerves that were severed, I no longer feel that distinct, direct sensation in my pelvis from breast play. Maybe that should be the first two questions a surgeon should ask: Can you orgasm without something inside of you and do your breasts and uterus have a kind of "connection" that you enjoy? My surgeon was concerned only that I was uninformed and had great insurance, as evidenced by the fact my hysterectomy was not medically necessary. He removed it during a bladder lift, saying it "would be easier to perform the lift if those parts were out of the way." Stupidly, I consented."

"I am 47. On February 5th, I had my uterus removed, ovaries intacted. I had a mesh net built to hold up my uretha. I used to be multiorgasmic by way of clitoral orgasms. I am very sensual. I can't seem to have an orgasm now. We have done ALL things. I get aroused to the HILT, the EDGE.....I press and press and press.....nothing. I hate it. I feel broken. This has been me my whole life and now nothing. My husband feels he is failing me, but he is doing ALL right, I just can NOT release. How do I get my clitoral orgasms back?"

and etc.. there's countless THOUSANDS of women out there like that.

I have a Paragard IUD which is copper and no hormones. So far so good. I've had it for about 8 months now. No additional weight gain.

I had the Paraguard IUD too, got it about a year before my surgery. And was happy with the effect it had, except about 10 weeks ago, I got pregnant( not that I am complaining, always wanted a second child). My IUD had moved and wasn't effective anymore. According to my OB it moved because of all the weight I have lost.

Thank you for all the responses. But if I can get an answer from a lady that started the pill after surgery, that would be great.