Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liver Shrinkage When Losing Weight?

We all struggle with the pre-op diet...any "normal" person would...even those people who do not suffer with food issues. I know we are not supposed to eat food...but I thought I read somewhere that as long as you are losing weight, and not holding onto digested food...you are shrinking your liver.

Does the liver still shrink when one is on a liquid pre-op diet, and has some food...as long as the person is in weight loss mode?

My pre op was 7 days lots of Water, two Protein Shakes , zero simple carbs , limited complex carbs, lots of lean protein....I am almost 9 months out and just realized how much that looks like the structure of my diet now.

My pre op was 7 days lots of Water, two Protein Shakes , zero simple carbs , limited complex carbs, lots of lean protein....I am almost 9 months out and just realized how much that looks like the structure of my diet now.

My doc does the same. 10 days of a low carb, high Protein diet. No more than 1100 calories as well.

The liver will shrink when your losing weight. The pre op diet is to assist with rapid weight loss. It still shrinks the liver too. :)

What I'm getting at is that I am on the pre-op liquid diet, and have HAD to eat a couple times, as well as chose to for some other reasons...and I'm still losing weight...and struggling--although not as much...and I wondered if you mostly cut solids and stick to the Liquid Protein stuff, have eaten foods, and are still losing weight, does the liver still shrink the same. And, does simply losing weight while eating less cause the liver to shrink the same way?

It's a very intersting topic, and I found a webpage that talked about lier health...still doesn't answer all the questions i have, but it's good. Here's the link, if anyone is interested.

http://www.wellnessresources.com/weight/articles/unclog_your_liver_lose_your_abdominal_fat_leptin_diet_weight_loss_challenge/

My pre-op diet is to replace two meals with Protein Shake (may add fruit or sugar free Jello or pudding). And replace one meal with 6-8 oz lean Protein (chicken, fish, lean beef) and 1 cup green veggie (no carrot, potato) and 1 cup fruit (no banana). And its 14 day pre-op. today is day 3. Surgery is September 14.

My Dr told me that one of the reasons for the pre op is to shrink the liver and area around the stomach for surgery day. They need all the room they can get :)

My preop diet was 14 days Clear Liquids. I did eat solids occasionally when I felt like I was going to hit the deck, but not at all in the last three days. I lost 16 lbs. My surgeon was very pleased, although I never mentioned the solids to him. I did choose high Protein, low fat, low carb choices.

wow 14 days of clear liquids? ? Yay for you for mostly sticking to it! No Protein would be hard pre op!

I only have to do 9 days of liquid ( Protein Shakes etc..) and 1 day of clear liquid pre op.

You certainly impressed me!!!

Sue

wow 14 days of clear liquids?? Yay for you for mostly sticking to it! No Protein would be hard pre op!

I only have to do 9 days of liquid ( Protein Shakes etc..) and 1 day of clear liquid pre op.

You certainly impressed me!!!

Sue

Thanks! I could do protein shakes but I didn't much because I don't like them. It was totally worth it!

My pre-op diet is full liquids for 28 days and I'm expected to lose 20 pounds. I'm allowed 2 Protein Shakes, 3 dairy servings, 3 NSA fudgesicles, and 2 servings of juice per day (plus sf Popsicles). I'm on day 20 and it's been rough at times, but I have to do this.

I start my pre-op on Thursday and Dr. Kim is ultra conservative. I'll still be working the following week and I am worried about the flying and bowel issues. Things are already unpredictable and all that liquid is worrisome. Tne few days before surgery (Sept 17-19) at least won't be confined on a plane.

My pre op was 7 days lots of water' date=' two Protein Shakes , zero simple carbs , limited complex carbs, lots of lean protein....I am almost 9 months out and just realized how much that looks like the structure of my diet now.[/quote']

What dr are u using in nj