Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crossing The Border!

Hi everyone!! Was needing some input, I'm applying for my passport this coming Wednesday and my surgery is set for September 26th, gives me 3 wks! My friend who has been to Mexico many times says I'll be fine crossing back into USA with just a birth certificate and drivers lic, what are your experiences or thoughts? Please and thank you!!

They have really started to crack down on security, while you MAY get by with the birth certificate and DL they really recommend that you have a passport or passport card.

I really hope it gets here in time!! Now I'm even more worried! I'd rather be safe than sorry!! Thanks

I got a passport for the trip, but on our trip back over the boarder the other two patients in the van only had their Lic & birth cert copy and no one even blinked an eye. Made me feel a lil silly for spending all that money on my passport. However... now that I have a passport and a sleeve soon I am going to use both to lay on a beach in another country in a bikini ;)

I am always extra prepared so i applied for mine 3 weeks before surgery and paid extra to have it expedited. My sister only had her ID and birth certificate.

Hey Nikiw714! I am good, the first day was hell, after that smooth sailing. How are you

doing?

Dang Chica, that is AMAZING! I am at 15 pounds total from first day of pre op diet. Agreed Suziebaby, sorry bout that. I would for sure get the passport, but if it does not arrive do not panic or cancel. Just be prepared to also bring along your Lic & birth cert for good measure. Enjoy your time in Mexico!

Really frustrated, my sister and I have spent days worrying about whether our passport was going to come back in time for our surgery on Sept 20th. We finally called today and paid an additional 182 each to upgrade to the passport book (after paying $55 for the passport card when we originally applied) just so we could get the darn thing expedited and they say they cannot even guarantee that we will get it by the 19th even with expediting it. They refuse to give you any type of hope whatsoever and they must teach a class in how to give vague answers because out of the 12-15ppl I have talked to at this point have all given vague answers and none of them are the same.

Then I jump on here and it seems that most ppl have not had any troubles crossing back over without the passport. Grrr, the government! The only other thing that really gets me is they now have my original birthcertificate which we had to drive over an hour to pick up before we could even apply for the passport so now I don't even have that either! Really frustrated but hope everything works out.

Anybody else recently go without a passport? Crossing over from San Diego to

Tijuana?

I finally decided to not get the passport all together, If I were you and I know this really sucks (sorry) but I would get another certified copy of your birth certificate if your passport doesn't arrive say like a day or two before you leave for surgery. I was really uneasy about not having my passport at first until I've asked enough, my coordinator which is in the next town told me she would leave her passport at home and just bring her birth certificate to make me feel better about it :) good luck to u!!

hello I am getting sleeved in Mexico as well and today I was told by the consultant that all I will need is a birth certificate and ID.

That's awesome to hear ms Johnson, do you have a date just yet?? I'm going sept 26th getting closer!!