Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Hate My Jackson Pratt Drain

So tomorrow will be a full week post op, but I must say the thing I hate the most is the awful JP drain! It gets in the way and I swear I feel it stabbing my insides every time I move!! Im not normally a squeemish person but today as I was puting the bandage back on it, I felt so grossed out! This tube is in me?! Curses. I feel so grump now! It looks a little bit red too at the spot it comes out of my body.

What I was really wondering is, when they pull this out, does it hurt any? Also, do they have to stich the hole back up? I can't imagine they just throw a bandage and just send you home, I mean how is it going to seal up on its own?

The last 2-3 days the end of that damn drain was poking my liver or something. I could barely sleep.

Worse, I thought I might be getting gallbladder issues or something, since I had already lost almost 40 before the surgery.

There was no pain when he pulled it out, for me, just a little bit when he snipped the stitches. And then I was IMMEDIATELY comfortable again. Whatever it was poking was unpoked.

The last 2-3 days the end of that damn drain was poking my liver or something. I could barely sleep.

Worse, I thought I might be getting gallbladder issues or something, since I had already lost almost 40 before the surgery.

There was no pain when he pulled it out, for me, just a little bit when he snipped the stitches. And then I was IMMEDIATELY comfortable again. Whatever it was poking was unpoked.

good to know cosleevedude! I feel it hurts more when I walk , and I haven't even been able to sleep in the bed because I feel like I am going to push it in! OCD I suppose but glad it went away quickly after they took it out!

I only had a JP drain for 4 days while in the hospital. When it was removed, they just pulled it out and covered it with a bit of gauze & tegaderm (a plastic sticky dressing that holds the gauze in place). I had to change the dressing everyday until it formed a scab & then it didn't require any further attention. I do have to say when they pulled out the drain, it felt very weird, like having a "roller coaster" stomach.

I'd really like to know the theory behind the drain thing and why docs are so different on it. I woke up with no drain, no cath, nothing except the I.V. fluids. I've healed up spectacularly, and so have people with drains. So what gives? (Just curious)

My surgeon said he picked it up from plastic surgeons: lowers infection rate, faster infection detection, and the body can spend less energy processing and excreting waste Fluid, which means more energy for faster and better healing.

And, if you have a drain and get lost in the desert, you have something to drink.

I don't know if there are any studies to back any of that up, but the upside seems reasonable.

I was kind of hoping someone would try and mug me when I had mine. This idea of busting a dirty JP hand Grenade on a criminal sounded sweet. But, like I mentioned before, the end of the tube was stabbing a kidney or something, so I probably wasn't in the finest mood.

I'd really like to know the theory behind the drain thing and why docs are so different on it. I woke up with no drain, no cath, nothing except the I.V. fluids. I've healed up spectacularly, and so have people with drains. So what gives? (Just curious)

My surgeon said he picked it up from plastic surgeons: lowers infection rate, faster infection detection, and the body can spend less energy processing and excreting waste Fluid, which means more energy for faster and better healing.

And, if you have a drain and get lost in the desert, you have something to drink.

I don't know if there are any studies to back any of that up, but the upside seems reasonable.

I was kind of hoping someone would try and mug me when I had mine. This idea of busting a dirty JP hand Grenade on a criminal sounded sweet. But, like I mentioned before, the end of the tube was stabbing a kidney or something, so I probably wasn't in the finest mood.

OOOoooohhhhhhhhh. Ok. That makes sense. And RE: lost in the desert- EEEWWW!!! That's just wrong!!!! HHAHAHA I like the mugging scenario though.... :lol:

You think having it is bad!? Try being the nurse who has to remove It..u have no idea how long that tube is that's inside u. I removed my first JP drain in school and I was amazed how long it was :-/ hope u feel better!

They usually don't need to stick u back up..usually a nice thick bandage will do :)

I only had mine for the 2 days I was in the hospital. They took it out when they removed my I.v. it was a gross feeling coming out, I wanted her to pull faster cuz it turned my tummy. The tube seemed like it was 3 ft long though. It just kepth coming and coming and as she was pulling it out I could feel it filpping around and hitting my intestines. Yuck!

thanks for the s upport guys! Only 12 more hours with this thing. And using it to help get when you get mugged? LOL what am I reading here???

You think having it is bad!? Try being the nurse who has to remove It..u have no idea how long that tube is that's inside u. I removed my first JP drain in school and I was amazed how long it was :-/ hope u feel better!

Since your experienced , how bout you remove mine? ( ultimate pick up line )

Since your experienced ' date=' how bout you remove mine? ( ultimate pick up line )[/quote']

That would be an expensive nurse visit coming over to NYC lol

I did not have a drain. The nuses told me I didn't require one. I think it depends on the person.

Finally got my JP taken out today! Thank god. They told me to lay down and breath in, and out and in and out , while the lady was pulling it out. It didn't hurt be certainly felt weird. definately gross too! I dont know what it is about it but i find the whole thing vile! Yeck!

TLDR - Got it taken out , thanks for support that night guise.