Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair Loss...help! Old Subject Revisited. :-)

I am 8 months post op. I have had a successful, but slow weight loss. I had read about all the pros and cons prior having this surgery, but somehow thought if I did everything "right" I would be the exception to the rule for Hair loss. WRONG!

I have been taking Biotin for for a long time, I started 7 months prior to surgery and have always taken my Vitamins , Calcium supplements and even added Black Currant (suggested by Dr Oz) for the purpose of avoiding hair loss.

I started losing hair around the 5th month post op, it has been three months of constant hair loss and I have since added Biotin Shampoo. I am fortunate that I have a LOT of hair, although fine, so I'm not looking bald, but worry that if this doesn't stop soon I may be.

I have had all my blood work done and I am NOT deficient in anything except thyroid so that is in the process of being remedied too.

My questions are: Will this thinning ever stop? If it does stop, will the hair come back as thick? Will it change the hair type, like which happens to some people after cancer treatments. I am a little worried it will remain thin and if it does, do I cut it short and layered so it looks fuller? When should I expect regrowth? I sincerely get my Protein, vitamins and exercise regularly. I am very thankful for the healthier new me, the compliments are good for my self esteem, but I want to keep my hair too. Am I being selfish?

I would like to hear from folks that are past the hair loss stage and their experiences. Thank you in advance for your support.

I am 8 months post op. I have had a successful, but slow weight loss. I had read about all the pros and cons prior having this surgery, but somehow thought if I did everything "right" I would be the exception to the rule for hair loss. WRONG!

I have been taking Biotin for for a long time, I started 7 months prior to surgery and have always taken my Vitamins , Calcium supplements and even added Black Currant (suggested by Dr Oz) for the purpose of avoiding Hair loss.< /p>

I started losing hair around the 5th month post op, it has been three months of constant hair loss and I have since added Biotin Shampoo. I am fortunate that I have a LOT of hair, although fine, so I'm not looking bald, but worry that if this doesn't stop soon I may be.

I have had all my blood work done and I am NOT deficient in anything except thyroid so that is in the process of being remedied too.

My questions are: Will this thinning ever stop? If it does stop, will the hair come back as thick? Will it change the hair type, like which happens to some people after cancer treatments. I am a little worried it will remain thin and if it does, do I cut it short and layered so it looks fuller? When should I expect regrowth? I sincerely get my Protein, Vitamins and exercise regularly. I am very thankful for the healthier new me, the compliments are good for my self esteem, but I want to keep my hair too. Am I being selfish?

I would like to hear from folks that are past the hair loss stage and their experiences. Thank you in advance for your support.

thyroid problems can give you hairloss.so when youve sorted that out it should settle down then.its the quick weight loss.and the hormones.like when your pregnant you tend to loose alot of hair.it will settle down tho.

oh and give it a good cut .it will trigger it to grow.keep trimming it every 6 weeks .to keep it in good condition.you dont need to cut it all off.im a hairdresser trust me.itl come back.i lost loads when i was pregnant.for about ayear and a half.but it all came back the same.so dont worry.but do sort your thyroid problem out .thats prob why the Biotin isnt working ?

I totally feel you with the Hair loss. I was still losing hair from having a baby when I had my surgery. Now at close to 5 months post-op, GOBS of hair is coming out. I cut it a good bit shorter, thinking the shorter hairs wouldn't bother me as much... Guessed wrong. Hair still coming out, still bothering me lol. I guess it's just something we have to deal with. Most of us women will have it. Some swear this and that will work, but I've done it all from Biotin, Nioxin, and lots of Protein. I've been doing them all from go, and nothing has changed. I do know that it will grow back. That we will lose about half of our hair. But it will come back usually the same, if not better. Let's hold on. I am POSITIVE this is worth it.

Regarding hair loss, it's still technically summer. If you are blow drying your hair, curling it, swimming and in the sun, you are bound to lose more hair. Woman also use a lot more hair gear like clips, ponytail holders, bands, etc. these can cause breakage. The summer and sun can be rough on your hair. As we move into fall, it's also a time of natural shedding, even animals get a change of their coat.

The surgery will contribute to some Hair loss, but remember all the other factors at work.

I have fine hair to begin with, I have bleach blonde hair with the aid of color and to top it off I have Lupus. Lupus causes hair loss, medication associated with lupus can contribute to it.

I was swimming daily and in the sun and before you know it, I started losing even more about a month ago. I started the Biotin before surgery. I do take steps to help though. Before getting into the pool I wet my hair first with the hose and I add a little bit of conditioner, I use L'O'real Naturals from Sally's. I rinse periodically while swimming and add a little more if I am in a long time. One time I didn't do this and I paid for it.

I get my hair trimmed every 4-6 weeks now. I use a cap (or saran wrap) and once a week use Redken Extreme CAT Protein reconstructing treatment an use a blow dryer to warm up the cap. After about 1/2 hour with that, I add the L'Oreal Natural (you can use whatever you like best or Cholesterol) which is cheaper, put a bag, cap or I use saran wrap around the head, and blow dry the saran wrap (or sit under a dryer). This has made a remarkable difference.

I am using the new Garnier Frutis Fall Fight Shampoo, I use L'Oreal Naturals conditioner and then every day I add a dime amount of Redken CAT and I let my hair dry naturally and if I have to curl it, I wait until it's dry.

At 3 months my hair is doing very well compared to what it was a few weeks ago.

Remember there are always other things at work besides the surgery that adds to the hair loss or breakage and you will most likely need to take special precautions in the summer. Stop using clips, pony tail holders, be careful of the sun, chlorine and lower your blow dry usage. Once a week try a deep Protein & then conditioner treatment and continue with the Biotin treatment.

I started losing hair around the 5th month post op, it has been three months of constant Hair loss and I have since added Biotin Shampoo. I am fortunate that I have a LOT of hair, although fine, so I'm not looking bald, but worry that if this doesn't stop soon I may be.

Where do you get Biotin shampoo? I'm taking the supplements but I want to add the shampoo to that too!

Where do you get Biotin Shampoo? I'm taking the supplements but I want to add the shampoo to that too!

You can get the shampoo and the conditioner from ebay or amazon.its quite cheap .ive just bought some.and another good one is amargan oil .full of Protein its great.it smoothes the hair .without leaving it greasy.the hair absorbes it.you can get the hair mask in it too.

thyroid problems can give you hairloss.so when youve sorted that out it should settle down then.its the quick weight loss.and the hormones.like when your pregnant you tend to loose alot of hair.it will settle down tho.

I was aware of the thyroid issues and Hair loss, as my very first sign recognized by my daughters pediatrician was my constant shedding and her seeing that when I brought my child in for appointments.

Thank you for your response.

Thank you for your reply. I agree there are numerous factors, another being neck surgery in May. I guess my body has been through a lot in 8 months. I have a recheck on labs in another week, hopefully the thyroid has leveled off. I have been recovering most of the summer therefore not much summer abuse. I walk in the early m when i's still dark, almost to dark now. I guess my concern is will it recover. I know many bypass patients who's hair has never recovered. :-(

Regarding Hair loss, it's still technically summer. If you are blow drying your hair, curling it, swimming and in the sun, you are bound to lose more hair. Woman also use a lot more hair gear like clips, ponytail holders, bands, etc. these can cause breakage. The summer and sun can be rough on your hair. As we move into fall, it's also a time of natural shedding, even animals get a change of their coat.

The surgery will contribute to some hair loss, but remember all the other factors at work.

I have fine hair to begin with, I have bleach blonde hair with the aid of color and to top it off I have Lupus. Lupus causes hair loss, medication associated with lupus can contribute to it.

I was swimming daily and in the sun and before you know it, I started losing even more about a month ago. I started the Biotin before surgery. I do take steps to help though. Before getting into the pool I wet my hair first with the hose and I add a little bit of conditioner, I use L'O'real Naturals from Sally's. I rinse periodically while swimming and add a little more if I am in a long time. One time I didn't do this and I paid for it.

I get my hair trimmed every 4-6 weeks now. I use a cap (or saran wrap) and once a week use Redken Extreme CAT Protein reconstructing treatment an use a blow dryer to warm up the cap. After about 1/2 hour with that, I add the L'Oreal Natural (you can use whatever you like best or Cholesterol) which is cheaper, put a bag, cap or I use saran wrap around the head, and blow dry the saran wrap (or sit under a dryer). This has made a remarkable difference.

I am using the new Garnier Frutis Fall Fight Shampoo, I use L'Oreal Naturals conditioner and then every day I add a dime amount of Redken CAT and I let my hair dry naturally and if I have to curl it, I wait until it's dry.

Remember there are always other things at work besides the surgery that adds to the hair loss or breakage and you will most likely need to take special precautions in the summer. Stop using clips, pony tail holders, be careful of the sun, chlorine and lower your blow dry usage. Once a week try a deep Protein & then conditioner treatment and continue with the Biotin treatment.

I am 8 months post op. I have had a successful, but slow weight loss. I had read about all the pros and cons prior having this surgery, but somehow thought if I did everything "right" I would be the exception to the rule for hair loss. WRONG!

I have been taking Biotin for for a long time, I started 7 months prior to surgery and have always taken my Vitamins , Calcium supplements and even added Black Currant (suggested by Dr Oz) for the purpose of avoiding Hair loss.< /p>

My questions are: Will this thinning ever stop? If it does stop, will the hair come back as thick? Will it change the hair type, like which happens to some people after cancer treatments. I am a little worried it will remain thin and if it does, do I cut it short and layered so it looks fuller? When should I expect regrowth? I sincerely get my Protein, Vitamins and exercise regularly. I am very thankful for the healthier new me, the compliments are good for my self esteem, but I want to keep my hair too. Am I being selfish?

Well I have not cut my hair yet, But my hair lost is down to the normal level now. I have been using Biotin and fall fight by garneia shampoo and Shea Moisture "Organic Yucca & Aloe Thickening Growth Milk it is for thin and fine hair. Give it a try.

Good luck

Gastric Bypass causes more malnutrition and malnourishment than sleeve, the surgery, anesthesia and the trauma of surgery itself is usually the cause of Hair loss issues. It takes a long time for lack of Protein to cause the hair loss, I agree the thyroid problem is your most likely factor for your hair loss issues.

Regarding hair loss' date=' it's still technically summer. If you are blow drying your hair, curling it, swimming and in the sun, you are bound to lose more hair. Woman also use a lot more hair gear like clips, ponytail holders, bands, etc. these can cause breakage. The summer and sun can be rough on your hair. As we move into fall, it's also a time of natural shedding, even animals get a change of their coat.

The surgery will contribute to some Hair loss, but remember all the other factors at work.

Remember there are always other things at work besides the surgery that adds to the hair loss or breakage and you will most likely need to take special precautions in the summer. Stop using clips, pony tail holders, be careful of the sun, chlorine and lower your blow dry usage. Once a week try a deep protein & then conditioner treatment and continue with the biotin treatment.[/quote']

Just wondering where u get the Redken Cat protein?

Just wondering where u get the Redken Cat Protein?

Sally's carries it and they carry the L'oreal Natural too, many beauty parlors like Super-cuts, Borics, etc. sell it too.