Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tell Me About Your Hair Loss!

I was sleeved june 25th and have lost 44 pounds! Anyway, I'm hearing about Hair loss. Thankfully mine is thick enough that I can stand to lose a little. I understand that hairloss is a natural occurance when you lose a lot of weight. I'm only 2 months out so I haven't lost any....yet. Can any one who is past or in the hair loss stage fill me in? How much or how little did you lose and how long did it last for?

So far, at almost three months, mine is coming out a little but not at alarming rates yet. My understanding is that about the three-eight month mark is when it is usually at its worst. My hairdresser has had many patients who have undergone either bypass or sleeve and has witnessed the hairloss first hand. She assured me that while it might come out in alarming clumps, people do not go bald and in most cases it is not noticible to anyone other than you who sees it on your brush and in the drain. She said it is critical to take your Vitamins and also suggested Biotin to strengthen your hair folicle.

My doc said the 3 month mark was the worst too. It's supposed to take that much time for your Protein stores to wain and you can get Protein, Vitamin and nutrient deficient. They recommended Biotin along with plenty of protein and said many people keep their hair and lose relatively little which comes back after another couple months.

My experience was nothing like that! I lost hair from the day I had surgery- seriously. I had long, nearly waist length, thick brown hair that I had trimmed the week before surgery. When I got up and started walking a few hours after surgery I noticed a couple strands on my sweater but nothing to worry about. When I got home and showered it felt like I was losing a bunch in the shower but I thought I was just over-sensitive about it. I was re-admitted to the hospital a week and half after surgery and was losing fistfulls by then. I showed my doctor who told me, again, it takes months to lose your protein stores so it probably wasn't anything to worry about, maybe just the shock of the surgery.

By the time I left the hospital 2 weeks later my hair felt thinner and I would pull handfulls out of my brush every day to show the doctor and nurses but they were unimpressed. When I got home it was about a month post surgery and I was self conscious about the Hair loss so I thought if I got it cut it would be less noticible and less distressing for me. I took it from mid to lower back up to my shoulders and got a cute curly bob. I asked the hair dresser repeatedly if you could see bald Patches but she said she didn't see anything. Looking back at the pic right after the haircut I can't believe how thick my hair was still! The cut did nothing for the hair loss, it came out in handfulls every time I ran my hand over it, I woke up and my bed would be covered, pillowcase and sheets, with strand after strand of hair. It got so upsetting that I changed the color of my sheets- didn't work.

About 3 weeks ago it had gotten to the point that I only had some long straggly strands at my neck left and had big noticible bald Patches at the very front and top of my head as well as the temples, big fist sized sections of what looked like to me like tiny little grey coconut hairs! My daughter helped me cut the longer strands and I went to a cheap haircut place where I thought I was going to ask them to just use the clippers and shave the rest off.

The stylist was so nice and tried to save what she could even though I told her she didn't have to try. She was able to give me a cute pixie cut which I went home and bleached a light ash blonde. The lighter hair color was the best thing I could have done- there are some platinum highlights that make the bald patches alot less noticable and alleviated some of my self-consciousness. I figured I would wind up in a wig for a while at least but thankfully it didn't come to that for me. I've spoken to other people who have lost hair to have it come back in a year or two and still others who haven't lost any at all. I hope you get lucky like that!

I'm trying to prevent it, even though if it's going to happen doing anything to prevent it may be futile.

In addition to taking the regular Vitamins and extra Protein, I'm using:

I saw a commercial for the Fructis stuff and wanted to try it. I've used that brand and like it so I don't feel like I would be dissapointed. Doesn't it have caffeine in it which is supposed to help with scalp stimulation?

I saw a commercial for the Fructis stuff and wanted to try it. I've used that brand and like it so I don't feel like I would be dissapointed. Doesn't it have caffeine in it which is supposed to help with scalp stimulation?

Yeah, looks it has caffeine and Biotin and whatnot. Figure it can't hurt. I wonder if caffeine is absorbed via skin or hair follicles...

I have been dealing with hair loss for over 12 years because I have hypothyroidism. The best thing I found (and what actually slowed the Hair loss considerably) is Nioxin Shampoo & especially the conditioner. Add a Biotin supplement and daily scalp massages and you should be fine. You may not see new hair right away but most people will within 3 months.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Oh yeah..forgot one EXTREMELY important piece of advice....stay well-hydrated. Dehydration affects every cell in your body and it your body takes moisture from your non-essential cells first. i.e., your hair

I started losing hair way earlier than everyone else has - it started at about 3 or 4 weeks and has gotten progressively worse. I just started taking Biotin and am trying to increase my Protein (though I'm having trouble fitting it all in). I ordered Nioxin from Amazon - there are a few different ones. I think I ordered series 6 for medium, thinning hair. Hope it works. I've always had great hair and would hate to lose it. :(

I'm a hairdresser @ an Aveda salon, & was sleeved Aug1. As I hairdresser I've seen the hair loss in sleeve, band, & bypass clients,w/bypass clients being the most extreme. I'm waiting to see what mine's gonna do.

Taking Vitamins regularly (have your Dr. check your bloodwork), keeping your Proteins way up, & keeping hydrated from the VERY BEGINNING is way important. The less shock your body goes into, the better your hair will be! Even if u don't have Hair loss, the texture might get drier. Try Aveda Damage(or Dry)Remedy Treatment Masks.

If you're experiencing hair loss, try the new Aveda Invati System-shampoo, cond., & spray for the scalp. It works best when u use all 3. It will definately help u stop loosing as much & help u regrow what u lost. If u go on Aveda.com, u can watch testimonials, but I've seen it 1st hand.

I can also tell u, when people start to loose hair, they get nervous about touching it. The worst thing u can do is not touch it. Your scalp needs to be stimulated! (Remember the old '100 strokes before bed' tale). So, Shampoo it vigorously, brush it well, massage it regularly, & stimulate those follicles!

Unfortunately, everything u put your body through can affect your hair. Some bodies react worse to the shock than others. Anesthesia alone can cause your hair the fall out or get dry, if you're sensitive. The trick is to stay on top of the damage. Hair color can make it feel thicker, & lighter colors don't show the scalp as much. Aveda color is 97% natural, so it's very safe for this purpose. Long hair can feel like more hair loss than short hair, so a shorter cut might make u feel better about it & make it look fuller. I wouldn't recommend perms @ all in this stage of the game.

Feel free to message me if u have any hair questions, I don't always check back w/the posts. Good luck, & hope this helps someone.

I'm a hairdresser @ an Aveda salon, & was sleeved Aug1. As I hairdresser I've seen the hair loss in sleeve, band, & bypass clients,w/bypass clients being the most extreme. I'm waiting to see what mine's gonna do.

Taking Vitamins regularly (have your Dr. check your bloodwork), keeping your Proteins way up, & keeping hydrated from the VERY BEGINNING is way important. The less shock your body goes into, the better your hair will be! Even if u don't have Hair loss, the texture might get drier. Try Aveda Damage(or Dry)Remedy Treatment Masks.

If you're experiencing hair loss, try the new Aveda Invati System-shampoo, cond., & spray for the scalp. It works best when u use all 3. It will definately help u stop loosing as much & help u regrow what u lost. If u go on Aveda.com, u can watch testimonials, but I've seen it 1st hand.

I can also tell u, when people start to loose hair, they get nervous about touching it. The worst thing u can do is not touch it. Your scalp needs to be stimulated! (Remember the old '100 strokes before bed' tale). So, Shampoo it vigorously, brush it well, massage it regularly, & stimulate those follicles!

Unfortunately, everything u put your body through can affect your hair. Some bodies react worse to the shock than others. Anesthesia alone can cause your hair the fall out or get dry, if you're sensitive. The trick is to stay on top of the damage. Hair color can make it feel thicker, & lighter colors don't show the scalp as much. Aveda color is 97% natural, so it's very safe for this purpose. Long hair can feel like more hair loss than short hair, so a shorter cut might make u feel better about it & make it look fuller. I wouldn't recommend perms @ all in this stage of the game.

Feel free to message me if u have any hair questions, I don't always check back w/the posts. Good luck, & hope this helps someone.

i have read so much on this topic to see if i can find something to help me out: conclusion being that no matter what we do what you take hair loss wont stop immediately and have to let it take its course. Scary not to know when thow many say 4-6mo and others say when your weight stabilizes. Can you tell me more about this product. I have looked it up and well the scalp revitalizer is on the spendy side for me. How long would one have to use to see results and have you noticed on any of your clients. Thanks

I am almost a year out and my Hair loss is so bad that I finally broke down and ordered a wig. I have been taking Biotin and always eat Protein first but it hasnt helped. That is the only down side to this surgery for me. I have lost 100 pounds am a size 10 but my hair is in very bad shape. I guess you cant have it all.

I am almost a year out and my hair loss is so bad that I finally broke down and ordered a wig. I have been taking Biotin and always eat Protein first but it hasnt helped. That is the only down side to this surgery for me. I have lost 100 pounds am a size 10 but my hair is in very bad shape. I guess you cant have it all.

I've had to wear a wig because of Hair loss due to hypothyroidism. It can be extremely depressing to lose your hair. Mine won't come back but your almost certainly will. In the meantime, have fun with it! Change your style and color. And don't be afraid to tell people you have a wig. I used to be ashamed but realized there's nothing I could do about the hair loss. If you're embarrassed to tell people about the hair loss, just tell people you are trying out different looks for a make-over when you get to your goal.

i have read so much on this topic to see if i can find something to help me out: conclusion being that no matter what we do what you take hair loss wont stop immediately and have to let it take its course. Scary not to know when thow many say 4-6mo and others say when your weight stabilizes. Can you tell me more about this product. I have looked it up and well the scalp revitalizer is on the spendy side for me. How long would one have to use to see results and have you noticed on any of your clients. Thanks

I've seen results! On some, it regrows hair, & on others, it stops the falling out process. It must be used everyday for full effect & I suggest u give ur 3 months to see results. If no results by then, you're probably not going to see any. New Hair growth can barely be seen, as peach fuzz that sticks up @ makes your hair seem frizzy, about a cm long in about 2 months.