Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's a bit disingenuous to suggest the moderation people will fail.

I think you missed the part where he said that it works for many people.

The problem is not necessarily in the "everything in moderation" mindset, but in what an individuals perception of what moderation is. For someone that could eat 1/2 of a cheesecake a slice is moderation. But is a slice 3 or 4 times a week still moderation?

A soda drinker that drinks a 12 pack a day who reduces it to 4 sodas a day, is this moderation? I'm sure some would think so.

I use to eat a pint of Ben & Jerry's or Haagen Däs a couple times a week. Now if I reduce that to 3-4 Haagen Däs bars a week that's still less than one pint. Is that moderation?

Pasta lovers (like me) I could eat generous portions of Pasta several times a week. So if I reduce that to a 1 cup portion of pasta 3 times a week, is that moderation.

A person could likely get away with any one of these and be ok. But when they start to get stacked on top of each other, it becomes "Moderation in excess".

Remind me to never ask a question LT you are right all the op did was ask a question once again things turned nasty on the vsg board, it is getting old. I know that when I am ready I will eat in moderation but I will not post it on here. I was always a normal weight and then my throid stopped working and I gained weight and then developed insulian resistance but but it was not because I could not control what I ate and I do not want to deprive myself for the rest of my life, we all know what is good for us and what is not. When someone asks a question why does everything become an argument and the original question does not even get answerrd

Sent from my SPH-D700 using VST

No one started out by even asking what kind of milkshake.

I typically think Protein shake on this forum when someone says shake or milkshake not automatically full of crap make you fat shake.

For me they are never on my list for a different reason I hate them!

Don’t care what flavour type made out of they are disgusting its all I can do to drink these Protein shakes everyday!

They were never on my list before and wont ever be now but that’s personal taste not diet choice.

But you can make a healthier milkshake look for sugar free flavour mix use semi skimmed milk maybe throw in a banana and some blended ice to make it thick and creamy.

A milkshake doesn’t have to be ice cream/cream and sugar loaded or however they make them things.

My take on the in moderation vs never again it’s the same thing, personal choice and what works for you, what works for you may not work for me and vice versa.

Now if you pretend it’s in moderation and it’s actually not and you just lie to yourself to explain why your knowingly eating not so good choices too many times a day/week that’s when you start to slide back into old habits.

Like a in moderation person may eat 3 pringles they wanted them had 3 that’s it done not just for the day but say for that week that’s all they needed.

The person lying to their self will eat 3 pringles 30 times in a day and say well I never ate the whole tube in one sitting like I would have pre op I ate them in moderation just 3 at a time!

There is a difference between responsible moderation and lying to yourself to explain away why you are doing something.

I think you missed the part where he said that it works for many people.

The problem is not necessarily in the "everything in moderation" mindset' date=' but in what an individuals perception of what moderation is. For someone that could eat 1/2 of a cheesecake a slice is moderation. But is a slice 3 or 4 times a week still moderation?

A soda drinker that drinks a 12 pack a day who reduces it to 4 sodas a day, is this moderation? I'm sure some would think so.

I use to eat a pint of Ben & Jerry's or Haagen Däs a couple times a week. Now if I reduce that to 3-4 Haagen Däs bars a week that's still less than one pint. Is that moderation?

Pasta lovers (like me) I could eat generous portions of Pasta several times a week. So if I reduce that to a 1 cup portion of pasta 3 times a week, is that moderation?

A reason could likely get away with any one of these and be ok. But when they start to get stacked on top of each other, it becomes "Moderation in excess".[/quote']

You're absolutely right - moderation can mean different things to different people. To me, it means not eating the quantity of food that I used to, and making healthier choices, but not forbidding myself a taste of something I like or a treat on occasion.

Exactly, for me, moderation means not denying myself of the things I love. I love chips. I used to eat a whole bag. Now, I am happy with a one ounce serving of fat free Pringles sour cream and onion chips. I have them about once a week with my healthy lunch. If I go to a birthday party and everyone is eating cake, I am going to eat it too. I don't eat this stuff everyday, and when I do eat it, is a small, measured serving of it, it satisfies me, I'm happy and do not feel deprived. If I said something was off limits because it is "not healthy" and thus forbidden for the rest of my life, I would eventually end up binging on all kinds of crap. Doing it the way I do it, in moderation, works very well for me.

Sent from my iPad using VST

I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't eat anything unhealthy/not on my docs nutritional plan until 6mos out. Why that day' date=' what I will eat, no clue. :)

Good luck.. if you decide to have a chocolate malt shake from sonic, please don't let me know Hahaha.

Sent from my mobile productivity killer.[/quote']

Six months is reasonable in my experience...and definitely banana cream pie shake!!

I had one (or at least part of one) to break a stall - wanted to up my calories, but knew I could only do it with a liquid. I think that was at about week three post-op. Went down fine and did break the stall as I expected.

The 3 week stall has nothing to do with needing to up your calories, so drinking a milkshake did not break the stall. You drank a milkshake....and the stall happened to break, the 2 things are not related. The 3 week stall breaks when your glycogen stores are replenished, and not before.

Are you a nutritionist?

I asked my nut how to break the stall and she suggested I increase my calories. I did and it worked. Some people carb cycle, some people do alternating high and low cal days. My nut is aware of what I'm eating and the calories I'm taking in, so if she suggests I increase my caloric intake, that's what I'll do. I'm 25 lbs down, so I think I'll stick with her advice.

I'm glad for you.

You can do the research yourself if you like. I have a great link in my sig that explains the same thing. The information is out there for anyone to find, I was just pointing it out. The fact that your stall broke is purely anecdotal. Being a lawyer, I know you are familiar with that concept.

And not all of us are ignorant of nutritional concepts. Some of us have been overweight all our lives, and we've read everything there is about weightloss, exercise and nutrition and could probably put some nutritionists and personal trainers to shame. Where we have been lacking is having the will to use that knowledge.

My NUT told me to drink those New whey Protein shots from Walmart. They are of no nutritional value whatsoever. That doesn't mean she is an idiot, it just means she was wrong about this one thing. I'm sure your nutritionist is also human and not perfect.

You don't have to be so defensive against me, I was only trying to help and inform (not just you but everyone).

I'm glad for you.

You can do the research yourself if you like. I have a great link in my sig that explains the same thing. The information is out there for anyone to find' date=' I was just pointing it out. The fact that your stall broke is purely anecdotal. Being a lawyer, I know you are familiar with that concept.

And not all of us are ignorant of nutritional concepts. Some of us have been overweight all our lives, and we've read everything there is about weightloss, exercise and nutrition and could probably put some nutritionists and personal trainers to shame. Where we have been lacking is having the will to use that knowledge.

My NUT told me to drink those New Whey Protein shots from Walmart. They are of no nutritional value whatsoever. That doesn't mean she is an idiot, it just means she was wrong about this one thing. I'm sure your nutritionist is also human and not perfect.

You don't have to be so defensive against me, I was only trying to help and inform (not just you but everyone).[/quote']

I appreciate the information. I'm sorry if I came off defensive, but if I told my nut, "sorry, Butterthebean on VST said you were wrong , so I won't listen to you anymore" she would probably kick me out of her office... once she was done laughing.

Whatever she's telling me to do is working, so if it ain't broke, I'm not fixing it.

Just to let everyone know, I did not have a milkshake nor Mac and cheese. I've been on liquids for almost 5 weeks and was having head hunger issues. Buts thanks to the ones who helps when asked and for the ones whom live to judge all I can say is God bless your heart.

I tend to agree with keeping away from everything that is high in sugar. I thought we couldn't consume that much milk to begin with anyways. Maybe that was just in my head somewhere. However, some people can control what they eat and some can't. If you had this surgery, I am assuming you were well informed and willing to make a commitment on a whole different life changing journey. So wouldn't you have been prepared to give up certain things already? I mean, what is the point of having had this surgery if you were just going to fall back into old behaviors. Even though it is said it is being done in moderation, even if you take little cheats here and there over time... it will add up! Not only that, but we can't see what is happening inside our stomach. For all we know, it's expanding. Which more than likely, it will.

I choose to play it safe, I had years to eat all the crap I wanted all the unhealthy stuff all the junk and candy I wanted. Then it took a toll on my health which is why I, and many others opted for surgery. I'm not going to risk it one bit by falling back into old habits. It's time to teach our bodies to eat healthy, time to give our bodies the kind of food they deserve!

Head Hunger is the worst. It's really hard to work through the head hunger and to realize we're not hungry, it's our thoughts that's leading us in that direction. :) Hey not to mention, you didn't go there! CONGRATS! That's a total victory......

We all have our own thoughts about how we are going to chose what we eat. I don't see any bad here, just each person's opinions. It does get kinda hot here sometimes but no one mean's to offend any one else. :)

I got a 3 ring binder from my Dr. I have a suggested & not-suggested food plan. It was explained to me why there are things I shouldn't or wouldn't be able to eat. I was also told the sleeve is a do-over, not a cure for my fatness. It's a chance to have a relationship w/food as fuel, & meety emotional needs elsewhere. I have a therapist & nutritionist for both these things. It's been an awesome experience for me.

That said, I tried a small green tea frappacino w/fat free milk, no Syrup, no whip, 2 scoops Protein yesterday; it was my 1st trip to Starbuck since surgery 4 weeks ago. I got 3/4 of it down, & got tummy cramps. My body just didn't like that much sugar I guess. So, I'll be going back to my frozen Protein drinks for now.

Gee' date=' thanks LT for being the Queen of the thread. I'll just bow and back away.

She's 3 days post-op and has major food issues (see the post on mac and cheese).. We care. Disagree, that's fine, but don't try to shut down the conversation. I think she needs to speak with a nutritionist.[/quote']

Misery loves company- people who sit and stroke each other for the bad choices they make will do just that- :) there is no saving anyone unfortunately - when people are ready to do something DIFFERENT- they will have a DIFFERENT outcome- if I wanted to be fat the rest of my life- id keep making the bad choices and eating crap my whole life- but I don't- I want my weight to be different- and I want to be healthy! So I make healthy choices (sorry to burst bubbles but milkshakes are the furthest thing from healthy I've ever heard of) and eat things that are GOOD for my body not bad.

To each his or her own! :)

<3