Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When people say it's not on "the plan" I find it kind of funny. There is no plan. There are stages of food to follow for optimal healing, but no specific diet other than to eat Protein and drink plenty of Water. If y'all were this committed to following a "plan" then why did you need surgery to begin with? Why couldn't you just follow a diet with this much conviction?

Reality is, being sleeved will change the way you eat but it's not a diet, per se. Most of us got this way because of excessive eating. Can you have a milkshake with a burger and fries everyday? No, it will make you sick. Can you have a little bit of a milkshake as a treat or to increase calories (like I did) on a rare occasion without blowing it? Absolutely. There are two schools of thought here - the absolutes and the in moderations. The absolutes get all high and mighty whenever someone even mentions a food they disagree with, and the in moderations are more laid back and recognize that if we forbid ourselves of everything, we'll be miserable.

Interestingly, however, both will lose weight.

If you want a milkshake and your doctor says it's okay and won't make you sick, that's your call and only your call. Don't let people here bully you into thinking otherwise.

couldn't have said it better myself!

I agree to a certain extent with LT. I had the surgery to become healthy' date=' and to be at a more ideal body weight. I did not have the surgery so that I could live on Protein shakes, chicken and fish. weight loss surgery is a tool, not a diet. as my surgeon says.." in moderation, everything is okay hey bite of something you really have been craving is not going to kill you, just don't get into your old habits." For right now I cannot trust myself not to get into my old habits, so I don't eat things like that. I will however someday have hey milkshake maybe some mac and cheese hell maybe even a Kit Kat bar.... just not anytime soon. not because it's not on the plan, but because I don't trust myself.[/quote']

It's like you read my mind!

Uhhh....milkshakes are not on my post-surgical diet plan. Period.

If I want something that reminds me of a milk shake, I drink an ice cold chocolate Muscle Milk Lite...8 oz has just 100 calories, its sugar free, and packs 15 grams of Protein.

Its all about making healthy choices

All I know is' date=' whenever you look at the case history of the people who are not losing the weight, or are gaining it back, they are almost always the people in the "everything in moderation" crowd. I know it works for plenty of people, but there are plenty of people who fail because of this. At some point your appetite will come back. Your ability to eat will increase. How much is anybody's guess. It's different for everybody. But if it comes back with a vengeance, what are you gonna do? The sleeve will not give you the same restriction and Portion Control then.....how will you control your eating if you don't learn any new healthy eating habits? A milkshake won't kill you, but bad eating habits will.[/quote']

I am a member of the "everything in moderation crowd". I am three years out, have lost over 110 pounds and am continuing to lose.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Uhhh....milkshakes are not on my post-surgical diet plan. Period.

If I want something that reminds me of a milk shake' date=' I drink an ice cold chocolate Muscle Milk Lite...8 oz has just 100 calories, its sugar free, and packs 15 grams of Protein.

Its all about making healthy choices[/quote']

And if that works for you, great. But Muscle Milk makes me gag, as do most Protein shakes. I'd rather enjoy a sip or two of the real thing instead of choking down a substitute.

I personally wont touch them because even tiny children's sizes have upwards of 500 calories. I also don't do refined sugar. I can make a Protein shake that's tastes just as good. You can if you learn the tricks.

I only eat around 750 calories a day and I'm not going to forgo my food for a day just to have a milkshake. I need to be eating nutritious food and there is no room in MY sleeve for junk. That's the old fat me. I'm not going to trade it in on a chocolate shake.< /p>

It's not like I'm depriving myself here. There are 100 healthy treats I could indulge in instead.

Two more points and then I'll stop beating this dead horse...

1) OP asked when, not if. If you haven't had one, simply move on and don't answer. Don't reply by saying you'd never do it. That's not what the OP asked.

2) For those of you who did reply that you'd never eat something that bad for you now that you've been sleeved, think about your pre-sleeve self. Unless you lived under a rock and had no idea what healthy eating looked like, you knew what you should be eating to lose weight. Now imagine if a thin health nut went up to overweight you and said "if you want to lose weight you should eat healthy and exercise like I do!" How insulted would you be? I would guess pretty insulted, probably upset and somewhat angry.

Well, you're pretty much doing the same thing to the in moderation people. Some people do come here for advice and in that case, then go for it. But not everyone is looking for that, and in this thread, that's not how the OP phrased her question.

1) OP asked when, not if. If you haven't had one, simply move on and don't answer. Don't reply by saying you'd never do it. That's not what the OP asked.

2) For those of you who did reply that you'd never eat something that bad for you now that you've been sleeved, think about your pre-sleeve self. Unless you lived under a rock and had no idea what healthy eating looked like, you knew what you should be eating to lose weight. Now imagine if a thin health nut went up to overweight you and said "if you want to lose weight you should eat healthy and exercise like I do!" How insulted would you be? I would guess pretty insulted, probably upset and somewhat angry.

Well, you're pretty much doing the same thing to the in moderation people. Some people do come here for advice and in that case, then go for it. But not everyone is looking for that, and in this thread, that's not how the OP phrased her question.

Gee, thanks LT for being the Queen of the thread. I'll just bow and back away.

She's 3 days post-op and has major food issues (see the post on mac and cheese).. We care. Disagree, that's fine, but don't try to shut down the conversation. I think she needs to speak with a nutritionist.

I guess other people see this public forum as a place to provide feedback and support, not just give people rainbows and puppy answers. If moderation was so easy, none of us would need surgery.

Gee' date=' thanks LT for being the Queen of the thread. I'll just bow and back away.

She's 3 days post-op and has major food issues (see the post on mac and cheese).. We care. Disagree, that's fine, but don't try to shut down the conversation. I think she needs to speak with a nutritionist.[/quote']

I'm Queen of the thread? Awesome! Do I get a crown too? :P

OP asked when. She didn't say she was chugging one down right then and there, didn't say she was headed to the DQ. Why couldn't people just answer her without getting all preachy?

OP asked when. She didn't say she was chugging one down right then and there, didn't say she was headed to the DQ. Why couldn't people just answer her without getting all preachy?

Yes, but it seem like she's looking for permission to go to the DQ as soon as she can get there -- or as soon as someone gives her advice to go ahead. Three days post-op I was looking forward to cottage cheese - which I would not get for another two weeks. Come to think of it, nonfat cottage cheese is still heaven to me.

My "non-preachy" answer would be: NEVER. I did feel that I should elaborate on that. I thought the replies were polite and given by people of experience, including ones who believe in all things in moderation.

OP asked when. She didn't say she was chugging one down right then and there' date=' didn't say she was headed to the DQ. Why couldn't people just answer her without getting all preachy?

[/quote']

Maybe it's because some of us feel that drinking a milkshake is unhealthy, and getting healthy is what this forum is about. If a new person comes on here asking when he can drink a milkshake after surgery, he needs to understand its not a good idea. The "when" is irrelevant. You can drink one in the recovery room after surgery if you are that foolish. The "when" is not nearly as important as "should you". Not everyone knows this.

Yes' date=' but it seem like she's looking for permission to go to the DQ as soon as she can get there -- or as soon as someone gives her advice to go ahead. Three days post-op I was looking forward to cottage cheese - which I would not get for another two weeks. Come to think of it, nonfat cottage cheese is still heaven to me.

My "non-preachy" answer would be: NEVER. I did feel that I should elaborate on that. I thought the replies were polite and given by people of experience, including ones who believe in all things in moderation.[/quote']

Why would anyone ask a bunch of strangers for permission on what to do with their body? And most importantly, why would anyone think they had the right to give (or deny) permission to another adult to eat or drink something?

Unless you're the OP's doctor or nutritionist, you're not really qualified to do that.

I am a member of the "everything in moderation crowd". I am three years out' date=' have lost over 110 pounds and am continuing to lose.

Sent from my iPad using VST[/quote']

Susan, I'm glad for you. I wasn't trying to say that everyone will fail. And I certainly don't want to see anyone fail. I don't root for failure. But I've read so many posts by people who are struggling down the line to make it to goal, and the great majority of them are not eating right. I've also read many posts by people saying they could eat so much more than they could initially after surgery. I know that doesn't happen to everyone, but if it does happen, a person will be much better off if he or she has learned some better eating habits.

Just a little some thing to boggle some minds............

I was given a really yummy strawberry milkshake in the hospital 2 days after surgery instructed by my surgeon!

Why? Because he believes in getting protiene from real food and not artificial protiene shakes.

I did not have to do a pre op diet, I have never had any form of protiene supliment, I never count calories. I have still lost 107lb and am only 20lb from goal!

I am defiantly a everything in moderation girl. Its why I chose the sleeve, it helps me to only eat a little and it has worked for me.

But everyone is different and each persons health care provider will advise them differently.