Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery In Three Days... Anyone Else Get Cold Feet ?

Hi there...

I'm three days away from surgery. Scheduled for Monday the 27th and I woke up last night at 3:30am freaking out. I guess getting my final clearance made it all real for me and now I am starting to worry about " What if something happens to me ?? What will my hubby and daughter do ?? What if they don't give me enough anestheia and I feel the surgery??"

Am I being nutty ?? Did anyone else get super nervous the day before. My hubby works that day and I told him to go to work because why should he sit around a hospital all day when I won't wake up until after he's out of work. Now I don't think I can go into the OR without him there. I am kind of going nuts.

I've lost 14 pounds since beginning this whole procedure. I'm wondering if I am losing b/c i HAVE to in order to get the surgery or if I can do this on my own without any surgery. Is that the "cold feet" thinking again ? I mean I have tried dieting many times before and haven't crossed the 10 pound mark once. Now that I am I wonder if I am strong enough to go without the surgery. THEN last night I had potatoes ( OH YES those yummy white fluffy things) and gained back a pound !! REALLY ??

OK I am going through with the surgery... clinging to the hubby's hand... not sleeping for the next 3 nights... and worrying my tush off... ( Wish it was literally LOL)... I should make for one interesting wife/mom on a liquid diet for the next three days. LOL.

Take care all and thanks for listening.

Lisa

What you are experiencing is totally normal. There have been lots of posts very similar to yours and a long series of responses saying people were really nervous before surgery. I know I was! I would go through moments of calm, moments of excitement and then moments of completely freaking out (mostly the last!) I almost walked out of the hospital while I was waiting in line to check in. Try to stay busy the next few days to keep your mind off of it as much as possible. Remember, the surgeon and his team are all professionals and their entire job is to keep you safe and event free. One minute you are being rolled back to OR, the next second you are being woken up in the recovery room. Piece of cake!!

I was the exact same way! I lost 40#s pre op and was thinking if i can do that on my own why do i need surgery? Here i am almost 2 weeks post op and still doing great,as will you. I am glad my husnand was there plus my hospital required it,he was my ROCK. PLEASE if u need anyone to talk to please dont hesitate to message me.

Going through the same think and i have 5 weeks till surgury. I've lost as much as 86lbs on my own plus 40 to 60 several times but guess what I put every pound back on an plus some. I'm trying to cut back now so I might not flip out one my 3 week pre op diet. I'm also paying for my own surgury and I keep thinking that would be a nice down payment on a corvette or a Harley but then I think I don't want my wife's next husband to enjoy it be cause I'm dead from a weight related problem so I go back to I'm getting the surgury. I feel for me with my past 20 years of yoyoing up and down its my best and only option. Just my two cents

I was a wreck!!!! You really should have your husband there, at least to see you off to the OR. He can come back in recovery.

It is going to be great, just find ways to busy yourself.

Best of luck to you!

I'm on the same boat like u..

My surgery is Saturday in Mexico.. tomorrow I will be leaving to San Diego.. and trust me I am so nervous .. what something happens and I'm in another country? What about my kids? What about my family?( they don't know about this surgery) Is just the Wat ifs ...i have three weeks that I just can't sleep I guess is just thinking about the day..

I have hope and faith God will be there with me so everything will go well..

Same to you. Have faith everything will go good...

Yup, its normal. I would have crawled out of the bed as they were wheeling me to the OR, but that darn doc had me drugged up and my limbs didn't work. :)

Sent from my mobile productivity killer.

My surgery is scheduled for this coming Tuesday, and I am also in minor freakout mode. I knwo in my heart of hearts, that this is absolutely the right decision for me, but I really think it's just fear of the unknown. I've had surgery before, so it's really not that part so much, it's just that post-op life, expecially the first 3 months. And also, I must confess, the loss of a certain lifestyle. even though this is going to lead to a MUCH healthier lifestyle, adn hopefully happier, I am having pangs of "Oh, I'll never be able to eat....again", even though I know I will.

I'm sure we will both be absolutely fine. Feel free to message me if you you want to talk further. Good luck on Monday!

You will be just fine. I too was super nervous the day before but I was very calm the day of surgery so I knew I was doing the right thing and was going to be ok. I believe that the mind is a wonderful tool you can use to calm yourself, just dig deep, it is there to help you thru this! Best of luck for a speedy recovery!

i feel the same. im due end of september .and i am absolutelty s....... myself lol.i feel like im cracking up.im losing weight already through worry and stress.il be glad when its over to be honest.one minute im excited and cant wait the next im depressed and thinking no i aint having it done.its a bloody rolercoaster already lol

What you are experiencing is totally normal. There have been lots of posts very similar to yours and a long series of responses saying people were really nervous before surgery. I know I was! I would go through moments of calm, moments of excitement and then moments of completely freaking out (mostly the last!) I almost walked out of the hospital while I was waiting in line to check in. Try to stay busy the next few days to keep your mind off of it as much as possible. Remember, the surgeon and his team are all professionals and their entire job is to keep you safe and event free. One minute you are being rolled back to OR, the next second you are being woken up in the recovery room. Piece of cake!!

What was it like to wake up in the recovery room ? I think I will be happy i'm alive but freaking out b/c of pain... I've been told it's "like being hit with a MAC truck". NOT very descriptive. What do you think ?? Thanks. Lisa

I was the exact same way! I lost 40#s pre op and was thinking if i can do that on my own why do i need surgery? Here i am almost 2 weeks post op and still doing great,as will you. I am glad my husnand was there plus my hospital required it,he was my ROCK. PLEASE if u need anyone to talk to please dont hesitate to message me.

Thank you so much. I will definately need the after support. So far so good. Today is my last day of eating and I am going for the gold... Hibachi lunch here I come ( then i will eat light for dinner LOL ). Hope your having a great day. Lisa

Going through the same think and i have 5 weeks till surgury. I've lost as much as 86lbs on my own plus 40 to 60 several times but guess what I put every pound back on an plus some. I'm trying to cut back now so I might not flip out one my 3 week pre op diet. I'm also paying for my own surgury and I keep thinking that would be a nice down payment on a corvette or a Harley but then I think I don't want my wife's next husband to enjoy it be cause I'm dead from a weight related problem so I go back to I'm getting the surgury. I feel for me with my past 20 years of yoyoing up and down its my best and only option. Just my two cents

I agree. I have been up and down so much and when i go back up I go way way up. I'm going to have the surgery b/c I need it not b/c I want it. So... the countdown begins. And by the way... that Harley is my "goal gift" so for the next few months I will be saving until I get to my goal. Thanks a bunch for the "two cents". Lisa

You can do it! I had surgery Monday! And I feel great!! You can do it!!!

I was a wreck!!!! You really should have your husband there, at least to see you off to the OR. He can come back in recovery.

It is going to be great, just find ways to busy yourself.

Best of luck to you!

Carol, First off thank you and second... I LOVE your signature with all of the wonderful things you want to do. It is probably the exact list of many people wanting to lose weight. I can't WAIT to wear boots that fit my calves. i've already bought two pairs on summer sale !!

Oh and the hubby is more of a wreck than I am so he isn't going to work. Since I am going in at 2pm ( and he gets out at 4 ) he is going with me and will be there the whole time.. UGH.. more to make me a nervous wreck. LOL