Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question: Why Is Caffeine Off Limits?

I'm thinking many people break this rule, right?

I'm just curious about the actual medical reason for the restriction with the sleeve.

Caffeine is not kind to inflammation either. So if your sleeve is healing, caffeine can cause irritation and inflammation and thus prolong the healing process...

it is actually a hunger stimulant. I have it a little bit now, but I am a year out.

Dana,

I think moderation and along with dehydration as caffeine is a diauretic, there is also a bit of acid, so best left for a while after you heal. I am almost 10 months out and drink cup or two of coffee daily. I started with Decaf and mix it up one and one...I also always get a minimum of 70 oz Water (with crystal light mostly) and 64 oz Protein. My loss has slowed but I am living and loving life with my sleeve!

Best to you in your success!

It dehydrates your body.

Hello Dana????? Of course that is the reason, I just totally drew a blank! Thank you!

My doctor never said it was off limits. He said one or two cups a day right after surgery was fine...if it was appetizing to me. I tried having coffee, but it didn't taste/sit good until 4 weeks out.

coffee was one of my favorite things in the world -post sleeve. Now I get horrible acid reflux if I drink it. But I still love my sleeve. I switched to peach tea and I''m happy with that.

Sent from my iPad using VST

the reason we can't have it is because we are at increased risk for developing ulcers. Caffeine has been shown to lead to stomach ulcers.

my doc says its ok in moderation like EVERYTHING else post op, including alcohol and such. I have a medium iced vanilla latte everyday, a diet coke everyday, and I have about 3 beers a week on average! Made goal in 8 months, easily maintain my weight, and I am happy and healthy, and not deprived.

My doc says the same, everything in moderation. But no coffee during healing.

I'm thinking many people break this rule, right?

I'm just curious about the actual medical reason for the restriction with the sleeve.

Dr. Davidson's dietitian, when she was going over the different stages after surgery, day 1 through week 6 said she wasn't going to ask US to do anything SHE didn't/wouldn't do. Two things; one, she likes her coffee, but we had to be caffeine free for the first six weeks. Two, she didn't eat FF things such as sour cream, cottage cheese, sliced cheese. Low fat was good except milk - that's skim. I personally use Greek yogurt in place of sour cream in casseroles now, and on baked potatoes too. Although, I only eat MAYBE 1/4 of a baked potato, a medium sized potato at that!! :)

I was only advised NO coffee 3 weeks post op- I have about 2-4 cups a week. ON off days I either have tea or a instant cappacino.... Once that is done i'm on Water the rest of the day... but to drink a 4-6 oz coffee now is about 2 hours- it gets super cold before i even make a dent in it- so Ive grown accustomed to cold/iced coffee instead.

BTW everyone, coffee is not a diuretic and does not dehydrate you. This is now a myth, recent research shows this.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661

http://www.nctimes.com/lifestyles/health-med-fit/article_df147532-cee3-5abe-91b2-9014a83a1af1.html