Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Those Who Weigh Every Day -

That's awesome! It looks like the real deal!

Exactly!! I was going to say almost the same thing! I do weigh every day, but I've also learned that I have a definite loss/bounce rhythm, but it's all part of it. I don't freak out about the bounce because I understand it. You just have to know yourself and if you can handle weighing every day or not. Many cannot, and I think either way is fine, just don't make yourself miserable with it. ;)

Same here! Who says we aren't supposed to weigh every day?

Research shows that people who DO are more successful at achieving and maintaining their weight goals.

It is information, nothing else. Why would anyone not want it? Count me among forever daily weighers!

Some weeks I weigh three days in a row when at work. We have a really nice big digital scale. I always weigh in the same clothes and shoes etc. I only do it to see if what I am doing is working and I keep the routine the same in regards to doing this. I try to keep fluids in mind and whether or not a bm. I love seeing the pound a day drops for a couple days. To be honest, I don't even get down when I don't see it drop for a day or two because I have somehow fixed my brain to say "hey you dropped 4-5 lbs last week so the body is adjusting again, it's all good." It may sound weird but I don't think about it too much because I know I am losing and there will be days when it may not show.

I don't weigh too often at home as all I have is a fairly cheap digital I got at wal mart. When I do weigh at home, it's always just in undies or the birthday suit so it's always less. I try not to change up my routine too much in regards to Water intake or diet too much but there are days here and there when it just doesn't work out like I wish but it's OK and I just go about my business and keep on doing what I am doing. The only day that I really put a good bit of thought into it is on my "official" weigh day. I do this on Wednesdays on the good scale at work and look at the whole picture over the course of the week and the weeks before. Am I still losing?? Yes. Am I on average? Yes. Am I above or below average?? Determine above/below, look at what I may have done or not done, make a mental note and try to make adjustments if needed. It may sound weird but it works for me and has made things a lot easier....

I'm in maintenance and I weigh myself every day. Ignoring the scale is one of the reasons I got so fat. Now I can adjust my eating if the scale is up a pound or two before the gain turns into ten or twenty.

It sounds like most of you responding here understand the limitations of weighing every day, but I have seen comments in other threads where people lament, "I only ate 600 calories each of the last two days, how could I POSSIBLY weigh two pounds more!?!" That is what the article addresses. Other people have stated the importance of getting the right numbers calorie and Protein wise, so if one sees a gain from one day to the next even though the numbers say it should not be so, they might feel like they need to eat even LESS, which can put the body in starvation mode. Most of us know that if we are hitting our numbers for food and exercise, it WILL work, but I thought this article would still be useful information, especially to newbies. It also helps explain the several-day stalls followed by unrealistically fast losses, and the moving averages help even out the inconsistent readings in our non-scientific-grade scales. To those who say "Who says we're not supposed to weigh every day?" that's something I've heard and read many times. I've always understood that weighing once a week was the preferred method.

Anyone ever done the' date='"get on lightly" maneuver? My theory is that if you step on heavily the scale will record a higher weight. So I get on like "grasshopper" walking on rice paper.

Is it a definition of insanity to know you are deluding yourself but you do it anyway? :blink:[/quote']

Lol!!!! I did that this morning!!!! I am laughin so hard right now because I am not the only "crazy" person out there. I record the lowest weight achieved with the "grasshopper" technique immediately, even if the following 3 times is a higher number.

I don't know if I'll fall into this category after being sleeved, but it's possible. I look at my pension and 401K portfolio everyday, so I guess I could very well start weighing myself everyday too.

It sounds like most of you responding here understand the limitations of weighing every day' date=' but I have seen comments in other threads where people lament, "I only ate 600 calories each of the last two days, how could I POSSIBLY weigh two pounds more!?!" That is what the article addresses. Other people have stated the importance of getting the right numbers calorie and Protein wise, so if one sees a gain from one day to the next even though the numbers say it should not be so, they might feel like they need to eat even LESS, which can put the body in starvation mode. Most of us know that if we are hitting our numbers for food and exercise, it WILL work, but I thought this article would still be useful information, especially to newbies. It also helps explain the several-day stalls followed by unrealistically fast losses, and the moving averages help even out the inconsistent readings in our non-scientific-grade scales. To those who say "Who says we're not supposed to weigh every day?" that's something I've heard and read many times. I've always understood that weighing once a week was the preferred method.[/quote']

Your right. Some people dont realize how much Water weighs, Water absorption from taking a bath adds, no bowel movements add, and so on. But if you recognise these things before hand and log them one will see a greater outcome.

But if you just dont care and dont count or log, I can see where this would greatly come into play. I personaly never saw this before but I always took an average for years before my op. it was always on the gain. I ate 3 meals a day but one of those meals equal a day for me now.

We all know we're not supposed to weigh every day, yet many of us do and wonder why our weight is always up and down. (Guilty!)

Nutrition diva has an article weight fluctuations, and why the numbers we get vary so much. There are links to an iPhone app and an Excel spreadsheet that calculate 7 and 14 day moving averages, which yield more meaningful numbers.

http://nutritiondiva...luctuation.aspx

My doctor said we SHOULD weigh daily so we'll know if we put on a few pounds, it will be much easier to get back on track. It's more difficult if you gain 9 or ten lbs. We know how quickly that can happen!! I never got upset about the ups when I was losing, I'd go up a lb or two, then back down before I "LET GO" of the couple of lbs and move on to the next pound or two. It's just part of the journey. If I was up two, I'd up my Protein and liquid and it worked like a charm!

My doctor said we SHOULD weigh daily so we'll know if we put on a few pounds, it will be much easier to get back on track. It's more difficult if you gain 9 or ten lbs. We know how quickly that can happen!! I never got upset about the ups when I was losing, I'd go up a lb or two, then back down before I "LET GO" of the couple of lbs and move on to the next pound or two. It's just part of the journey. If I was up two, I'd up my Protein and liquid and it worked like a charm!

I've been maintaining since Jan '11

I suppose opinions differ on that; I'd always heard weighing every day was not preferred. From MyFitnessPal:

"To help track your progress, you should record your weight periodically. We suggest once a week because your weight fluctuates daily due to uncontrollable factors like Water. Try to always weigh yourself at the same time of day - we suggest early in the morning before Breakfast."

By all means, do whatever works for YOU, but my intent was to help those who get upset when the scale creeps up a pound or two when they KNOW they did not overeat the day before. I was always curious why weight should fluctuate so much, found the article interesting and thought it worth sharing.