Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm about to have my dinner and after calculating my Protein I will have had 81 grams of protein today. I was struggling but usually now get in 50-70 . Is there such thing as having too much? Are there pros and cons to this? Thanks everyone.

No, although women generally don't need as much as men. You should consume more the more lean body mass and the more you workout.

Typically you can shoot for 0.5 gram per pound of lean body mass.

If you are working out a lot, especially weight training and you want to gain lean mass, you can go up to 1.0+ gram per pound of lean body mass.

As stated but remember Protein is still CALORIES, and too many of them will not allow you to lose as much weight.

The liver is principly involven in matabolizing Protein and it can only handle so much at a time so so when presented with WAY too much it will just not process it and allow it to be passed in the waste.

My doctor said that I should get 60 - 80 grams at each day. There have been times I can get that at a meal (usually lunch or dinner). So 81 well........good for you.

Protein is still CALORIES, and too many of them will not allow you to lose as much weight.

Rootman,

i must be missing something - too much Protein will not allow you to lose as much weight????

I was recently told by my nutritionist to cut back on my Protein. She told me that it was hard on the kidneys to have too much protein. I don't know the science of it, but listened to her advice as I only have 1 kidney.

Read an article on webmd says can take in up to 218g of Protein daily. But protein has 4cal per gram. So yea, too much protein can equal too many calories. High protein intake can be dangerous to people with any kind of kidney compromise.

Read an article on webmd says can take in up to 218g of Protein daily. But Protein has 4cal per gram. So yea' date=' too much protein can equal too many calories. High protein intake can be dangerous to people with any kind of kidney compromise.[/quote']

Exactly...thats why people on a high protein diet like bodybuilders need Liv52 or milk thistle to help out with the increased load on your system.

Susie, this is a great question with some excellent answers. Thanks for asking! I have problems with kidney function and my drs never discussed my increased Protein intake with me. I will now address this, this is a serious issue for some people.

Thanks for everyone's insight!!

Susie' date=' this is a great question with some excellent answers. Thanks for asking! I have problems with kidney function and my drs never discussed my increased Protein intake with me. I will now address this, this is a serious issue for some people.

Thanks for everyone's insight!![/quote']

I'm glad I asked too ;). I'm a type one diabetic and I take meds for Protein in my kidneys, really going to not get more than 60 per day. I've also increased my Water to 10-12 cups! Yay! Lol

I need to increase my Water intake... My Fluid intake is not good, I just can't find anything that goes down well. My taste has changed so much. I would think I could at least stomache water but it taste bad to me and everything else is too too sweet.