Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having A Hard Time With The Words "pureed Food"... Ick!

I'm pre op but know that I will be using these terms Mushy and Puree soon enough... I've posts about people pureeing meat and vegetables and even eating baby food!!! The thought of that grosses me out. Can some of you tell me what your experiences were? Is "mushy" the same as "pureed" in the Sleeve World?

Can you tell me what you had to eat (drink or slurp) right after you got home?

How long did you have to do this? Also, I get nauseated very easily -- did your docs give you something ahead of time for nausea so you'd have it home? I'd rather be in pain than be nauseous. Fear of nausea is BIG for me.

Thanks for any help!

Dana

I'm pre op but know that I will be using these terms Mushy and Puree soon enough... I've posts about people pureeing meat and vegetables and even eating baby food!!! The thought of that grosses me out. Can some of you tell me what your experiences were? Is "mushy" the same as "pureed" in the Sleeve World?

How long did you have to do this? Also' date=' I get nauseated very easily -- did your docs give you something ahead of time for nausea so you'd have it home? I'd rather be in pain than be nauseous. Fear of nausea is BIG for me.

Thanks for any help!

Dana[/quote']

I was given medicine in the hospital for nausea and he also sent me home with like 12 pills for nausea.

How long did you have to do this? Also' date=' I get nauseated very easily -- did your docs give you something ahead of time for nausea so you'd have it home? I'd rather be in pain than be nauseous. Fear of nausea is BIG for me.

Thanks for any help!

Dana[/quote']

he also had me put a patch on the back of my ear the night before surgery to help prevent nausea.

The patch is great. I actually contracted a stomach virus and was throwing up the day BEFORE surgery. But when I put the patch on that night, I felt so much better!

The patch is great. I actually contracted a stomach virus and was throwing up the day BEFORE surgery. But when I put the patch on that night, I felt so much better!

Hi,

Do you remember the medication of the patch?

You can ask for anti-nausea medicine. I did, but somehow didn't get it. It turned out after I got home that I wasn't as nauseous as I was in the hospital, so it was not that big of a concern. If it had continued to be an issue, I would have called the Drs office because I know there are pills for that. If your doctor does not prescribe a Prevacid solutab, or other acid reducer, then ask him to. Even though I did not feel nauseous enough for an anti-nausea med, I did get nauseous sometimes (and still do) When I was taking my acid reducer, it seemed to help that a lot. I think most of my nausea now can be traced directly to not drinking enough consistently throughout the day. When I start to get dehydrated, I get nauseous.

Honestly, drinking and "eating" full liquids was really difficult for me for the first several days. I found that clear chicken broth went down best. Flavoring my Water with crystal lite (something I normally hate) also helped. Protein shakes were awful the first week, but got progressively better with time. I think I was just trying too hard to get in Protein when I should have just tried to focus on fluids.

I am going to be completely frank about the pureed stage...I HATED IT! I could not wait to get my hands on tuna salad, egg salad, and anything else I could puree. But when I finally got to that stage, I just found those things to be completely gross once reduced to babyfood consistency. I made some home made apple sauce with splenda granules and loved that. I finally resorted to just drinking Protein Shakes or Soup during the first week of pureed foods and then switching to soft foods half way through the second week, that I would just mash up and chew really well. Fish was my favorite. At restaurants I would order creamy Soups or chili. I just kept reminding myself that the first month was just something I had to get through until real food was allowed. The good news is that everyday got better and better. I also found that keeping busy with other things took the focus off food and since I was never really hungry, it was less of a battle than I thought it would be.

I ran Soup through the blender and then strained out any remaining pieces. The thought of pureed meat groses me out as well and so does baby food! I was fine with the soup. I usually had bean Soups to get some Protein without the meat. I could never stand any Protein replacements (shakes, powders, etc.). My first three months were not great as far as getting in protein. I did lose some hair (I get plenty of protein now and take a hair and nail supplement) but I was never in danger of being put back in the hospital. Basically what I am saying is try and find a food you can tolerate (or think you can) with as much protein as possible. Most likely you won't be perfect but if you follow doctor's orders as best you can you should be OK.

As far as nausea, I had the patch behind my ear while I was in the hospital. I came home with nothing but pain meds.

Wow, you are totally stressing on this! you are not necessarily going to have nausea or that great level of pain after the surgery. The doc will assess and send you home with the necessary meds to assist with any after affects. Just relax, take a deep breath and it will happen and be over with. Take 1 step at a time. I get grossed out with eating pureed food so I didn't. I at a lot of soft foods like yogurt, sf puddings, etc. After the surgery the stomach is so swollen we can't eat that much anyways. Just a couple of bites at the most. Your surgeon's office will give you the stages of food and what you can eat, and what you can't eat. it will be fine. CONGRATS on your decision to join our club. :)

Putting Soup in a blender sounds relatively palatable! I think I could handle that. I'm not worried about oh my God what will I be able to eat for the sake of eating. I just wish for the healing period they could just inject yourself with some miracle shot and that would handle everything. I would be less nervous if it was No Eating Allowed during that period. :)

You will find the days fly by....you just have to work thru the stages of eating so as not to overwhelm your new sleeve!

Sample of what I consumed in stage 1 and 2

Stage 1 - Clear Fluids

Decaf vanilla Chai Tea and my PPI

Isopure Clear Protein Drink

Crystal Light

broth - chicken and Beef

Iced Tea

SF popsicles

SF Jello

Stage 2 - Full liquids

Tea & Crystal Light

Protein drinks - Chocolate/Vanilla

Creamy Soups - strained

Thinned out hot Cereal like Cream of Wheat

SF pudding & SF Jello

SF popsicles & SF fudgesicles

pureed and Mushy are the same thing and stage 3 eating...

Hot Cereal

Soft eggs (poached, scrambled)

Cottage cheese, Yogurt

Refried Beans with melted cheese

Soups

Chili Beans

Vegetables cooked until soft

Ground meats

(I never ate baby food like foods...I just cooked regular food and made sure it was very soft and chewed well)

Good Luck!!

I hear you. We were talking about this in my last class and I just can't even think of eating pureed food or baby food. One of the guys in the class said "ooohhhh what about pureed pulled pork?!" I almost gagged right there on the table. ICK!!

For that stage, my plan is to do blended and strained Soups, hot cereals (which don't need to be blended according to my NUT and NP), and things like that. Oh and of course, the Protein shake (I'm one of the weirdos that like them). I'm big on texture and the wrong texture will make me gag so I know that it's not worth it for me to even go there with the pureed meat or baby food. LOL

I'm 23 days post op. My diet consists of:-

Organic Baby food (suprisingly ok)

Tin tuna

Low fat slice cheese

Cottage

Scrambled egg

Melt in your mouth crackers

deli meats (ie shaved turkey)

Protein shakes

Water

The above has been my staples for the past 9 days. I cringed at the thought of Baby food to but actually enjoy it. Its quite satisfying and one 185gram jar is two meals. There are huge varieties of Baby food with lots of different textures. I choose the ones made for 8mth olds.

Hi,

Do you remember the medication of the patch?

The patch is called Transderm Scopalamine (I think that's how it's spelled?) Sits behind your ear to help with nausea - and it did seem to help quite a bit for me too.

day 2 of pureed food for me and yes... not the easiest. I did ok with some applesauce and cottage cheese yesterday and then tried a scrambled egg white with melted low fat cheese - not my favorite even before surgery. Today I did a little bit of tuna and mayo then some chicken breast slightly pureed with mayo. Both were great. For dinner I put pureed cauliflower and chicken into chicken broth and the first few bites were good then by bite 6 and 7 not so much so had greek yogurt. I pretty much depend on my Protein Drinks to cover the needs and then sample some foods to test the new tummy.

About the Scopalamine patch.... I used one on an Alaskan Cruise in May and had side effects of vertigo for a week after the trip. Did not know they were going to use it after surgery and quickly had them remove it and use other IV medications for nausea like Zofran.

For me the nausea last the first 2 days post op and seemed to creep up wen I talked too much. I learned that and just let people know so I didn't have to talk. I never actually threw up BUT that watery jaw feeling would last several minutes at a time and it was not fun. Other than that and the gas the first day out it was all a piece of cake!!!! :-)