Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Final "straw That Broke The Camels Back"

I'd considered it but always brushed off surgery as 'too drastic' and 'last resort'. Well, I'm at my last resort now.

You fill your mind with things like "I'll never reach 280" or "I'll never reach 300".. the last time I weighed was I was 280, then suddenly I weighed in at 293. I panicked seeing the scale so close to 300. Every time I attempted to lose weight, I was losing a few then regaining higher than I'd ever been before. I was afraid to try again.

I was suddenly isolating myself and afraid to meet new people. I avoided meeting my boyfriend's family (all Asian) because of perceived cultural judgment of overweight people. I didn't meet up with friends I hadn't seen in years when they came to down. I made excuses and started staying in. None of this is like me at all :(

I also travel frequently, flying every 3 weeks or so. Airplane seat belts kept getting tighter and tighter, and now I struggle to buckle them. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I was afraid to ask for a seat belt extender because what if they didn't have any? How would I explain why I got kicked off the plane?

Between seeing myself get so closed to 300 lbs and not being able to buckle my seat belt, I knew something had to be done. Starting a family is somewhere in my near future, and I don't want to be a fat bride nor do I want to have problems conceiving due to my PCOS.

It's time.

I've dieted, starved myself, gone on stints of working out hard, changed eating plans, etc. You name it, I've tried it, succeeded temporarily and then invariably gained it all back and then some. WLS was always the"last resort". I am a bit obsessive about weighing myself, no matter what the status of my weight. I'm fascinated how my weight can fluctuate from not only day to day but from hour to hour. So I was watching my weight creep up again nearing 300lbs. and hating myself for it. When getting out of bed my feet hurt upon hitting the floor and ached all day. I've put up with a lot of discomfort from my weight but the foot pain was awful! And this time, loosing the weight was just so difficult. Depression. My husband was starting to voice his concern. He's always loved and accepted my body but he knew that if I continued on this path, I'd die; he suggested wls. We have no health insurance but we would figure it out for this. This past summer was the beginning of my wls adventure. I went to the Weight Loss Center on June 16. The process was started. It made me a little more aware of the improvements in the quality of life I would have after losing the weight. We vacationed this summer and I had to decline so many activiites; I looked at the parasailing vacationers, wishing it was me, but I declined (scared I would exceed the weight limit), I waited at the end of lines for my family at the Water park (I definitely exceeded the weight limit). September 14,2015 I went in to have my VGS. 50 lbs down so far.....so worth it. I can't wait for next summer.

My last straw is not being able to play with my son, not being able to work because of being in so much pain, not bring able to give my husband kids because my body won't let me because I'm too big

There were so many signs I ignored for so long that should of been "the straw that broke the camels back" but I was so bent on not listening that I let myself get so bad. However recently, I've tried to "see" more. Couple of things happened. I broke my coach a couple months ago just sittimg down. Booths at resturants are very uncomfortable. Love making is harder. Personal hygiene is harder. Those tiny wicker chairs? Ya like I will try and ever sit on those. Worrying when I go to a party if I will get enough food to it. Getting seconds when literally nobody else did at thanksgiving. Getting drunk is really expensive. Having children ask me if I have a baby in my tummy (got used to this one). Being left out of plans because my loved ones think I wouldn't be able to do it.

My weight kept going up didn't matter what I did.

I didn't want to get sick with a stroke or diabetes

I wanted to run and play with my grandchildren not be the fat granny that my husband pushed around in a wheelchair

In retirement I would like to go hiking with my husband

Get my Hashimotos disease under control with weight loss

No more aches and pains

Buying off the rack

The reason am doing it is to be around for my little girl she means the world to me and I want to see her grow up and Live a long healthy life for her

I've had several of these moments over the years, but more recently, I began to think, "I've seriously got to do something" when I changed around the furniture in my living room. I arranged the couch facing a very large mirror on the opposing wall. I began to finally get a glimpse of how I actual look sitting when I would see my reflection from across the room. Particularly, I noticed my stomach and how far out in front of me it stretched. I honestly couldn't believe it. I literally cringed every time I'd see it. I also turned down traveling with friends out of fear that I'd slow them down and embarrass myself (I turned down Disneyland for Pete's sake!) Coincidentally, a friend of mine who had sleeve surgery a few years back, began to share her journey with me

The final straw was when I was diagnosed with sleep apnea at the age of 24. BOY I WAS ANGRY. Before researching it, I always viewed it as the old TRUCKERS disease, because it is often associated with old over weight truckers in the commercial drivers license world. Man was I wrong, I was so disappointed and I knew I had to do something. Knowing the fact that I could possibly pass away in my sleep scared the heck out of me and I started to contemplate the idea of surgery, but I threw it on the back burner. It wasn't until my oldest sister got RNY bypass last year , and I was like damn I too can start to fight obesity as well. My final, final, final, final straw was my social life( well the lack thereof) and my passion for fashion.... HOT DAMN I love clothes. I can't wait to get into a 2 pc with no biscuit or sides lol.

Edited by VSGMEPLZ26

My old Weight Watchers leader always said "pictures don't lie." I've done everything I can do to avoid getting in pictures, but someone snapped one of me--a group shot--and when I saw it, my old Weight Watchers leader's face flashed before me. I can stay in denial as long as I didn't have to look at myself! Nonetheless, I had my surgery a few days ago . . . I'm ready!!

That is soooooooo true! I guess that is why I get so angry when people want to "do pictures". Yuck! I can't wait till I want to do that again.

What did it for me was trying to get on the Manta ride at seaworld with my husband. The overhead thing that straps you in would not connect. What made it worse was that a kid working the ride kept trying to push it down for the sensor to lock it in. After a good awhile they decided it wasn't going to work so I had to get off. I've never been more mortified and depressed. The stares of the other people waiting in line, the ride employees and the laughs and whispers. It just hit hard.

Even after that, going to the park with my husband and two kids under the ages of 3 and seeing my husband running after them like crazy because I couldn't ????.

I can't fit on some of the rides my daughter really wants me to go on with her. Also i don't have the energy to keep up with her. I divorced a man who didn't support me and made me feel like crap and now am getting married to a man who loves and supports me in all aspects and I want to be around with him for a long time. As well as have a safe pregnancy when we decide it's the right time to try.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Do you all remember when the Powerball was at a record high of 1+ Billion dollars in January? Well, a bunch of people at work were talking about what they'd do first if they won. Lots of people mentioned vacations, new houses, etc. But the very first thing that flashed through my mind was getting weight loss surgery.

I kept thinking about it and decided that I needed to research the possibility. In addition, I have been planning a Disney World vacation for 2017 and honestly wasn't that excited about it. A lot of the beds at WDW are only double beds and I knew I couldn't fit in that with my husband. And all the walking would do me in. Plus potentially not fitting into some rides.

Now I have started my journey to WLS and I am so excited that I get a fresh chance at the life that I want.

A trip to the ER with a blood pressure of 190/110 was the thing that had me Googling WLS.

It took a few more months before I got up the courage to start talking about my weight with my psychologist. Not surgery per se, just my weight and all the limitations and risks it places on me. One day he finally said, "What about weight loss surgery?" and I finally felt it was OK to start getting the ball rolling. I admitted that I'd been reading the bariatric surgery blog of the hospital and wanted to sign up for an info session. I'd previously been feeling like WLS meant I was giving up on myself, but in talking to him, I realized it was actually giving myself permission to take my life back.

I'd previously been feeling like WLS meant I was giving up on myself, but in talking to him, I realized it was actually giving myself permission to take my life back.

I really really hate the idea that WLS is someone admiring defeat or failure. I don't know why society projects that mentality. With ANY other medical condition for which there is a surgical solution, you don't see that. If you have to get a knee replacement for a bad knee, no one is yelling at you that you should just suck it up and walk it off and power through the pain. If you have an appendicitis, so one is telling you it's mind over matter and you should just tough it out. I don't get why WLS is any different. You have a serious disease, for which there is a surgical remedy. Why is it "cheating" or "quitting" to take advantage of that tool?