Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Final "straw That Broke The Camels Back"

My PCP has been recommending VSG for a couple of years and had it done himself. For me, even at 275ish and 5' 8", I never really felt fat, just lacked energy and enthusiasm for doing anything. I thought I knew I was a touch overweight but with the gradual increase over the years, I never had myself pegged as being the fat guy.

There's this guy at my work who is really big, so big that I thought, he's probably the fattest person I know and much fatter than me. He's on all kinds of meds also for diabetes, hbp, etc and is about 12 years younger than me. I thought for sure with his weight, health issues and meds that he would surely not have a good outcome unless he changed his ways.

Well, we had to go into the lab at work and had to put on a lab coat, hoodies, booties etc. We both put the same size on and his fit, mine didn't. I couldn't button up the lab coat.

Finally what my doc had told me about climbing a1c, cholesterol, being morbidly obese-- I HEARD the ding ding ding bell moment in my head and realized that the fat guy was me and my on and off dieting or skipping lunch was not the solution for a long healthy life. I owe it to my family to try my best at being around for them.

i decided to have my wls after i had a spinal fusion and was outta work waiting for my hand to get better i was always fat and just had enough was border line diebetic and had trouble doing things with one hand so i had the sleeve started at 380# ON 9/28 now im 321#

post-266503-1449057354529_thumb.jpg

The above picture did it for me. I'm the one on the right. I felt like s linebacker yet everyone told me how nice I looked at my brothers wedding. I was so angry at myself for getting to be that large. I've loss and gained weight all my adult life and just made excuses for my relapses. Enough is enough. My dad died at 46 for being a disobedient diabetic and I REFUSE to be so selfish that I give up on myself. I haven't had the surgery yet but my journey has already begun. My mind is made up and I have an appt to meet the surgeon on Friday.

I'm a 26 year old nurse and take care of my 3.5 y/o niece and 2 y/o nephew 2 days a week. To top it off I've had chronic back problems since I was 11. If I didn't do something successful and semipermanent to lose weight I was heading toward several back surgeries and not being able to take care of the kids or do my job. It was time to break the cycle of bring heavy causing back/leg symptoms causing restrictions to exercise causing me to eat my feelings causing me to gain weight etc.

I haven't been sleeved yet. But I'm on the road to it. Working on dropping the weight my dr requires first. My breaking point was finding the love of my life. Odd, right? It's my breaking point because I have finally found a man I want to raise kids with and we had 2 very good doctors tell us it would be a death sentence to me or our baby to get pregnant. He's such an amazing father to his two older children. It's not fair to him. He loves me no matter what and says it doesn't matter to him if we have 0 or 10 kids. He just wants me healthy. I need to do this for our future.

I am a doctor and attended a presentation from a local Bariatric surgeon (my surgeon) one year ago.

I attended for an assessment with him 12 months ago, and did much thinking over the last year.

With 3 kids aged 19, 17 and 15, I decided that there were more important things in my life than food and after much thought, and asking several patients who had the procedure for their opinions (including one with post op complications) all were very positive.

I didn't know I had any comorbidies (pre op investigations identified a symptomatic sleep apnoea) I am not diabetic, hypertensive etc, but decided that enough was enough at 1.97m and around 170kg and so bit the bullet, and decided to spend the $21k NZ.

As a doctor I went in with full knowledge of all possibilities, good and bad and had the same anxieties that I'm sure that everyone has.

So far no regrets.

Weighing as much or more than linebackers and heavyweight boxers when I'm a 5"1' female. Attempting to sit in a booth at a restaurant and realizing you won't fit behind the table. Barely fitting and riding uncomfortably in an airplane seat. Reaching all my "I'll never be" milestones, like a two digit clothing size starting with a 2, or I'll never let myself get over 200, 225, 250 lbs. Almost always being the biggest person in a room. Feeling self-conscious ordering food in a restaurant or buying groceries.

been told i might not live to see my daughter graduate high school.

Not being able to paint my own toenails!

Surgery Date 12/21/15.

My sensitive feelings when people would choose not to sit next to me on the bus. To be with my girlfriends and know the cat calls are never for me. The way people make acrobatic moves to get out of my way like I'll break something if they brush against me. Feeling clumsy and heavy all the time. Like the only reason that I am so clumsy IS because I am so heavy. Everyone stopping for me while I stop to catch my breath (for what felt like an eternity) while walking on a hike that they felt was easy. Scared to do thrill rides with embarassment of being excused when I

can't fit or the ride wont lock. And then if i can do a thril ride, there is the fear that I'll be the exception and be the 'freak accident' and described as the overweight woman who should have known better when its told on the local news later that day. Sick of the yo yo changes in weight. And weight coming back with a vengance each time, worse than it left. Like a right third hip and growing back boobage.

But the last straws:

1. about to turn 40 next year.

2. diagnosed with diabetes early this year.

3. unable to wear cute shoes and boots due to foot pain.

I am on day #6 of the liquid pre-op diet. The gassy headaches have finally stopped. And its not so bad.

This has to work! Correction: I have to make it work.

The day I walked into my cardiologists office and the scale read 502.

Although I am this size my weight has never stopped me from doing anything I wanted to with the exception of riding roller coasters.

I've always been the "funny fat guy" and that always helped me meeting people but now I'm 46 and the health problems,pain and general weight related issues are catching up with me. Foot pain, back pain, trouble with knees, dreading stairs etc.

I also have a 10 year old daughter that I WILL walk down the isle one day.

I'm currently at 448 and my surgery is this Tuesday and I couldn't be more ready.

My final straw moment wasn't a moment, but a series of moments.

1. Having a hard time getting up and down to the floor to play with my grandson.

2. My feet, legs, and back in constant pain, especially after work each night.

3. Huffing and puffing over the lightest of exertion.

4. Having to get larger and larger clothes.

There are many more, but those are a few, not to mention that I want to be healthy and see my grandson grow up.

My last straw was traveling on the Amtrak. It was a 24 hour trip and we opted for the sleeper car and the room with our own bathroom. I could squeeze in to sit, but reaching behind was impossible.

Not fitting into a ride at a park with my daughter, hiking for 20 min with tremendous knee pain, trouble sleeping, wearing the same clothes all the time.... so many straws. I really want to be a good example for my kids. I'm an athlete so being this big is not me. Using food as a crutch is no longer working for me. I left an abusive marriage nearly 2 years ago and if I can do that, I can do this.