Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Final "straw That Broke The Camels Back"

For me it was countless failures at exercise, diets, and weight loss. Then endless disappointments in myself. The wanting the thin person out that is hiding inside the fat one. Going shopping without leaving depressed. Sick of taking diabetic and high cholesterol meds. Wanting to feel confident and in control of my self <3

:wub:

I AGREE !!!!!!!!

1. Diabetes - the word scares me and is on both sides of my family

2. Breathing heavy while going up or down stairs

3. Not being able to fit into an amusement park ride

4. Having my spouse decide that I am too fat for him

5. Having to turn sideways down certain aisles

6. Ugly clothes that don't fit everywhere

I think the final straw for me is that for the past few weeks, I have been researching diet plans. It hit me like a ton of bricks- every new year I start a new diet, and I stay with it for at least 3-6 months, but I never had long term success. I haven't been below 200 lbs in almost 4 years. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm tired of circling the same "diet" mountain year after year. I'm only 24, and I've been wearing an 18 since I was 10 years old. I want to get out and live life, instead of watching it pass me by..

First off, I just want to say reading through many "last straws" I was brought to tears. We're all really in the same shoes, just different styles... if that metaphor makes any sense! My last straw was knowing that my daughter was soon turning 10. How fast 10 years had flown by! From the time she was born I've been trying to lose my baby weight plus a whole lot more! I went into shock. If I've gained 100 pounds in 10 years do I want to gain another 100 by the time she is graduating high school? No! I remembered how miserable my mom was when I graduated high school. Overweight and avoided every picture with me. I do NOT want that for my daughter. And then my son told me my belly, "looks like Santa's," this Christmas. Straw broken!

For me... I am new. I have this young and carefree heart which does not match what my body is capable of. I had a sledding accident 4 weeks ago which resulted in a fracture of my spine. I realized after this accident that my bones were not meant to support such a heavy body and that I needed a change now or I would hurt myself and be disabled later on.

I'm 32; I'm 5'7'' and weigh 258 lbs.

My mother is 5'3'' and weighs probably 400 lbs and has been morbidly obese for as long as I remember.

I always said I would have surgery before I got to be as bad as her; and now is the time. I have tried so many diets... I was at 210 lbs for a year and was maintaining it but had to stop that diet due to Vitamin deficiencies that I developed while on it.

Right now I'm at the point where I just need help

When I was young and growing up; I remember mom filling our plate with food and not allowing us to leave til it was finished. We were formula babies; and from the time we were 6 weeks old she would mix Cereal in our formula to make us feel full all the time.

She didn't know what she was doing was wrong... in the rural south; keeping your kids fed well was a sign of success as a mother and in life.

I have my own daughter who I have raised much differently. She was breast fed and has not ever been forced to finish a plate if she was full. She is a beautiful girl; thin but healthy from good food and excercise. She signed a modeling contract last month to become a commercial print model and to hopefully become a fashion model later on and I am really pleased and proud of my daughter.

I ran cross country in high school and I ran all during my pregnancy and while my daughter was little; during those days i remember weighing around 165 and i.was 5'9" when i was younger. I am shrinking over time and i think part of the reason is my weight. I became a smoker; which caused my health and ability to run to decline. I quit smoking in June 2013 because I was sick and tired of being unhealthy and sick all the time. I bought a boat using all the money I have saved by not smoking and we love going out to the lake. Now; I just need a body that will keep up with my new lease on life... and I feel that the sleeve is going to be the answer to my prayers. I asked God to show me the right things to do in life after i got hurt and to take care of my body and my soul while i recovered from the injury and He put it in my heart that this is the right thing to do for my body.

God willing; everything will work out and I'm feeling blessed to have the conviction that comes through His grace and love for me.

Edited by webhopper

Yes Webhopper, do what you have to do to get healthy. I come from a very large family of 300-400 pounders. In July 1994, my mother died at the age of 67 of an aortic abdominal aneurysm - she was 5'2" and weighed 320 pounds. My oldest brother died two months later of a heart attack. He was 6'2" and weighed 420 pounds. My oldest sister had a gastric bypass several years ago at 300+ pounds, and my next youngest sister (300+ pounds) had a lapband last spring. I had a stroke in 2010, and it was just time for me to take charge of my health. I had my sleeve on 12/23/2013.

Your family kitchen dynamic felt similar. I wish you happiness and good health.

Yes I think our family dynamic is the same.

Moms side of the family is 80% morbidly obese. They are all 300 lbs or more. Her brother is probably at 450....

My maternal grandmother probably weighed close to 300 lbs; as did my maternal grandfather.

My dads side of the family is very thin and slender. We are all very into track... my baby sis was a state track 1st place winner in the 2 mile. My other sis ran steeplechase at the NCAA level and got her degree in health and human performance. Despite our athleticism; all of us have struggled; with me being the worst off; weight wise. My brother and I both take after moms side of the family; but his job is very physically demanding; which helps keep his weight in check. I always kept mine in check with excercise and dieting; but it has gotten out of control and the problem is that I am hungry all the time.... I think that is because my stomach is unnaturally large and its putting off the hunger signal when I shouldn't even be hungry.

I don't snack on junk food; I just eat too much at meal times and I think the sleeve will help me not feel hungry and overeat.

I have cigna which will pay the surgery because its covered under my plan and I'm going to a seminar with lap band center of Oklahoma. Dr. Atkins does lap band and gastric sleeve; I am interested in the sleeve only; not the.band. so far I have not seen any bad reviews and my husband and I agree that we would rather go this route and pay more out of pocket due to him being out of network than to go through the normal st. Johns hospital route and risk something getting screwed up. Dr. Atkins also does cosmetic surgery which I'm open to doing later on if needed to remove skin.

Edited by webhopper

For me it was countless diets of losing a lot of weight just to put it back on. I love roller coasters, movies, sporting events and just other things and often avoid those things with my friends as I don't want to be the one that gets turned away. I love to travel but avoid airplanes as much as possible to save the embarrassment. In my youth, I played football and was a lineman. With football workouts I wouldn't put on much weight and I was a pretty good weight for a lineman at 6'1 300 lbs. By time I graduated HS I was up to about 320 and done with football. And at my highest (previous) adult weight of 376 I began a diet and got down to about 285. Over time I put all back on and now I am at about 380 and been debating on the surgery for over a year. I got approved for everything and will have it January 31. I am looking forward to staring this next chapter in life and just to live and enjoy life again.

Webhopper...... for a good head start, you could weigh and measure your portions. That was one of my downfalls....a portion was not near what I thought it was. Another thing to consider is Fluid intake. Now that I have to sip throughout the day and not within 30 minutes before or after a meal, I realized that I was probably drinking at least a quart of pop or ice tea with every meal. That alone could stretch out your stomach beyond it's normal range. These are two changes you will have to make eventually, and can be started before you see a bariatric physician. Take care.

The genetic factor of my mom's health depleating as my weight was increasing. The idea of working for this great retirement plan and not being able to enjoy life to the fullest. And yes, having to sit in the "test" seat at an amusement park before entering the line triggered it too!

Hi all. I have been looking at the forums since June but this is my first time posting. WLS has been in the back of my mind for a few years now but it wasn't until this past May that I really started seeing it as my future. I have been battling with my wieght for the past 5 years or so but I think what really pushed me over the edge was my vacation in August of 2012. I was at an amusement park with my family and I went to ride the go-karts with my niece and the seatbelt wouldn't reach to clip in and I couldn't ride them with her. It was the most humiliating moment of my life. Having to climb back out of the kart with at least 3 dozen people watching while chuckling and smirking at me. I tried to play it off as if it didn't bother me but I was crushed. I had never had such a disgusted feeling with myself and it didn't stop there. The very next day at a Water park I was riding a tube on a water slide and when it got to the bottom of the first hill it tipped over on me. I went to climb back on to it and it tipped over again as I sat on it. It caught me off guard so I started choking on the water and the lifeguard came running over to help me. He tried to give me the heimlich maneuver but he couldn't wrap his arms all the way around me. I finally coughed up the water and was ok but he said that he could not let me continue the ride because I was too big for the tube. I had to sit and watch my friends and family all have fun for the rest of the day from a bench. It was the worst feeling I could have ever imagined. I'm now 30 years old and I have severe back issues that will most likely require surgery if the weightloss doesn'y resolve it. I have felt like such a failure the past few years with all the diets and fads I have tried. It's time for me to do the right thing for me and make some serious life changes. I want to be able to run around play with my nieces and nephews let alone hopefully have kids of my own to do the same with one day. I feel like this is the way to go for mr and I am very excited to begin my life transformation! My surgery date is February 10, 2014 and it can't come soon enough! I look forward to being a part of this forum/family!

Edited by jpov821

Hi all. I have been looking at the forums since June but this is my first time posting. WLS has been in the back of my mind for a few years now but it wasn't until this past May that I really started seeing it as my future. I have been battling with my wieght for the past 5 years or so but I think what really pushed me over the edge was my vacation in August of 2012. I was at an amusement park with my family and I went to ride the go-karts with my niece and the seatbelt wouldn't reach to clip in and I couldn't ride them with her. It was the most humiliating moment of my life. Having to climb back out of the kart with at least 3 dozen people watching while chuckling and smirking at me. I tried to play it off as if it didn't bother me but I was crushed. I had never had such a disgusted feeling with myself and it didn't stop there. The very next day at a Water park I was riding a tube on a Water slide and when it got to the bottom of the first hill it tipped over on me. I went to climb back on to it and it tipped over again as I sat on it. It caught me off guard so I started choking on the water and the lifeguard came running over to help me. He tried to give me the heimlich maneuver but he couldn't wrap his arms all the way around me. I finally coughed up the water and was ok but he said that he could not let me continue the ride because I was too big for the tube. I had to sit and watch my friends and family all have fun for the rest of the day from a bench. It was the worst feeling I could have ever imagined. I'm now 30 years old and I have severe back issues that will most likely require surgery if the weightloss doesn'y resolve it. I have felt like such a failure the past few years with all the diets and fads I have tried. It's time for me to do the right thing for me and make some serious life changes. I want to be able to run around play with my nieces and nephews let alone hopefully have kids of my own to do the same with one day. I feel like this is the way to go for mr and I am very excited to begin my life transformation! My surgery date is February 10, 2014 and it can't come soon enough! I look forward to being a part of this forum/family!

Welcome!

It's exciting to learn you have your surgery date. I was sleeved July 22, 2013 and it was the best decision I ever made. I started my research on the sleeve back in 2004. On June 1, 2012 I went to my first information session and have not looked back since.

I can tell you after the first three months my mixes said to me that she hadn't heard me complain about my knees or back. She would watch me almost run up the steps.

My starting weight was 264 and my current weight is 189. I feel great. I want to lose 100 lbs and I believe by March I may be there. I don't rush through this because I didn't gain the weight overnight.

All the best to you on this journey. Best advice I can give is talk with your doctor and follow their instructions.

Karen.

Hi all. I have been looking at the forums since June but this is my first time posting. WLS has been in the back of my mind for a few years now but it wasn't until this past May that I really started seeing it as my future. I have been battling with my wieght for the past 5 years or so but I think what really pushed me over the edge was my vacation in August of 2012. I was at an amusement park with my family and I went to ride the go-karts with my niece and the seatbelt wouldn't reach to clip in and I couldn't ride them with her. It was the most humiliating moment of my life. Having to climb back out of the kart with at least 3 dozen people watching while chuckling and smirking at me. I tried to play it off as if it didn't bother me but I was crushed. I had never had such a disgusted feeling with myself and it didn't stop there. The very next day at a Water park I was riding a tube on a Water slide and when it got to the bottom of the first hill it tipped over on me. I went to climb back on to it and it tipped over again as I sat on it. It caught me off guard so I started choking on the water and the lifeguard came running over to help me. He tried to give me the heimlich maneuver but he couldn't wrap his arms all the way around me. I finally coughed up the water and was ok but he said that he could not let me continue the ride because I was too big for the tube. I had to sit and watch my friends and family all have fun for the rest of the day from a bench. It was the worst feeling I could have ever imagined. I'm now 30 years old and I have severe back issues that will most likely require surgery if the weightloss doesn'y resolve it. I have felt like such a failure the past few years with all the diets and fads I have tried. It's time for me to do the right thing for me and make some serious life changes. I want to be able to run around play with my nieces and nephews let alone hopefully have kids of my own to do the same with one day. I feel like this is the way to go for mr and I am very excited to begin my life transformation! My surgery date is February 10, 2014 and it can't come soon enough! I look forward to being a part of this forum/family!

Welcome!

It's exciting to learn you have your surgery date. I was sleeved July 22, 2013 and it was the best decision I ever made. I started my research on the sleeve back in 2004. On June 1, 2012 I went to my first information session and have not looked back since.

I can tell you after the first three months my mixes said to me that she hadn't heard me complain about my knees or back. She would watch me almost run up the steps.

My starting weight was 264 and my current weight is 189. I feel great. I want to lose 100 lbs and I believe by March I may be there. I don't rush through this because I didn't gain the weight overnight.

All the best to you on this journey. Best advice I can give is talk with your doctor and follow their instructions.

Karen.

Thanks Karen! I am very excited to have my sleeve done. I can't wait to start the beginning of the rest of my life!

There are many reasons why am getting this surgery done, but the final straw that broke the camels back was when I had a patient tell me that I should have cancer instead of her because I obviously don't care about my body. I admit that I started to believe her. I knew that she had just received bad news regarding her cancer and that she was just mad at everyone and everything. I had researched and thought about WLS but this was the final push for me to take the first steps.