Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Final "straw That Broke The Camels Back"

Mine was years and years of losing weight only to gain it back and then some. The chest pains, not being able to tie my sneakers, and premature death. Plus I'm one size away from having to special order my clothing through the mail.

So here's a new one. Let me preface this by saying I HATE going into the bank. Everytime I do the teller says something dumb and/or intrusive and I end up pissed off for the rest of the day. I don't go in often as I do most of my banking via ATM because if I actually had to go into the bank on a regular basis I would much rather run through a burning building that's how annoying they are. And it's not just me- my boyfriend goes in and the same thing with the dumb questions plus flirting with him. Don't know when this whole thing started at the bank because it wasn't like this before. Anyway I go into the bank to get my certified check for my surgery today. I'm standing in line knowing something dumb will be said to me before I exit the door. I get to the window and the younger girl asks me what I would like to do and I tell her so the process is started. After a couple minutes of tapping her keyboard and filling out the withdrawal slip she asks for my ID which I give her. She them continues doing what she has to do, then decides to comment on my picture- "You look different?! Did you take that picture in high school?" It wasn't just what she said it was the way she said it. I'm not ultra sensitive either, I'm aware when a female is trying to throw an insult. Instead of taking my ID back and telling her to go f-@; herself, I decide to say no (I took that license picture in 5 and didn't need to go in for a renewal so it's the same). Then proceeds again to say you look different. She then asks me if I'm buying a house with the money, so I pause and give her a look to let her know I'm done with her and say no. Ultimately She thanks me for my 17 years banking with them, I get my check leave and immediately call the manager to speak with her about the situation. She proceeds to say people take other peoples ID all the time and even I had a lady today who had lost a lot of weight and didn't look like her picture. Ok if that's the case then say that. Don't tell me I look like I'm in high school (which by the way was 17 years ago) that means I look the same just older which means I look like my ID picture and you shouldn't be questioning me anyway. There is a tactful way of you are questioning my identity since I know that's their concern. So not only is the teller dumb the manager is too. I'm closing my account there while I'm off for my surgery.

{)i(} Sent from my iPhone using VST {)i(}

I completely agree with you its invading. I used to be a bank teller earlier this year actually...but when people get larger official checks we have to make sure that its really you, also we usually will verify your signature too and we were supposed to ask/dig to find out why you need the check. I hated doing it because i didnt think it mattered. But the bank is all about trying to sell you something credit card, credit line, mortgage, different types of accounts and so forth, so thats part of the reason they want the tellers to ask plus to make sure your not taking your money elsewhere. hope this insight makes you feel a little better? :/

Girl I did a major happy dance. I went form a 40d to a 36c. Can't wait to afford a sexy bra from VS!

My daughter took me to VS and had them fit me. Never could wear any of them!!!

My final straw was planning an Alaskan trip a year and half ago, and all the excursions were what I could do!!! Signed up for a seminar for after the trip and then asked my husband to go with me!!!

I think I lived in denial for a long time about how big I really was. My real awakening came when I realized that I have no pictures of myself from the neck down because I delete them all before they see the light of day. I had ended a long relationship and wanted to start dating, but was always afraid to actually meet anyone (online dating) because I was certain that once they saw my body, they would be done...then I realized my focus needed to be feeling good about myself before getting in a relationship

There were alot of reasons.

1. My dad became a 500 lb invaild and was a burden to the whole family till he died
  2. I reached 375 and I had a 2 year old daughter that I would rather have grown up with out me than to have lived with me being the burden my dad was
  3. I have had several severe injuries that were making it harder and harder to excersize and I needed help
  4. I wanted to be an active part of my family and not be the dead weight I was becoming.
  5. I have a beautiful wife and always felt she deserved better
  6. after some serious prayer, I believe this was the right thing to do!

The final straw was being unemployed for 2 years, and wanting to rule out weight (and age) discrimination.

My main one is that my knees hurt so bad and I am scared to death that I will have to have my knees replaced and that my husband won't be able to take care of me the way that I took care of him when he had his replaced. I also want to be able to be able to play with my grandchildren.

My main reason was being pretty much housebound.

Even in my house I couldn’t stand to cook or clean and I couldn’t walk from the top to bottom in one go I had to rest between floors it’s a 3 story house.

This year I hadn’t left my house unless in a car, I also cancelled going to my nephews christening because I couldn’t sit in the car for 3 hours to drive there without my back being in extreme pain, I couldn’t stand or walk for as much as I needed too once there and finding a outfit.

I did get a size 38 pair of pants but no top or shoes I could wear it depressed me more than anything else.

I have other reasons but they are personal to me.

I was on the waiting list to be approved for 2 years but the main reason for me is that I was pretty much a shut in because of my back and knees.

Middle of last year I tried to go ikea with my mum she drove I by passed most of the store and went straight to the bottom level which is pictures kitchen stuff rugs etc sat on a bench while she did all the looking around.

She met me we got half way in the ground floor I started locking up and shaking with pain I sat on the floor, when I felt better I started to go again had to walk through the warehouse bit I got down one isle so locked up and in so much pain I just started crying and forced myself to walk to some stairs near by to sit on and just cried while my mum tried to find the quickest way for me to get out.

Took me over an hour to get out because I would walk for 5mins be in so much pain I had to stop and wait and rest then go again and over and over.

Was the most humiliating experience ever just being stared at like I was insane and the staff constantly passing by asking if I was ok, am I sure and giving me odd looks.

The weight on my body was too much for me and nothing they did helped my back, the bigger I got the less I did the more pain I was in and round and round it went.

I think that’s why I was cleared suddenly this year instead of end of next year like it originally said.

I still have major issues with my back and right knee, still haven’t gone anywhere on my own not in a car but when I do instead of porters taking me in a wheelchair around the hospital I walk.

So that’s my straw that broke my back lol

I am sooo happy for you that you could share your story! Thank you, it brought tears to my eyes.

We have all been somewhere where you were. Good luck to you in your journey.

Like you, several different straws have been broken this year. My father telling me to look at him, at age 68, not being able to walk 20 feet without being out breath. He has had 3 heart attacks before he turned 48. Constantly falling down because my body is out of balance (huge belly and boobs). My first grandchild! I want to be around for him. I can't lay him across my lap because of my large stomach and I want to be able to chase him around. Not being able to ride several rides at Universal because the safety arms would not snap over my stomach. Having to hug my husband and children sideways. Tired of the yo-yo weight loss/gain. I want to be healthy and to live for a long time.

1. Knees and back hurting at my active job and not being able to keep up with my older co-workers.

2. Hypothyroidism and infertility.

3. Wanting to have a baby.

Mines was realizing that I was not providing a fulfilling life for my 11 year old son. He has so many curiosities such as traveling and other adventurous things, my weight has certainly kept me from fulfilling a lot of his desires as a child. One evening it just became crystal clear that in a sense I was failing my son as well as myself by not taking the appropriate steps to change my life. So I went ahead and made that call now I'm on my way to becoming the mother that my son deserves.

For me it was dealing with my mother and her myriad of obesity related medical issues and blowing up on her bc she was still eating fried foods after her alleged 4th heart attack and telling me that it was the diabetes that was clogging her arteries. I had to accept right then and there that while I did/do not have obesity related health issues, with my family history and my diet and my morbid obesity it was just a matter of time before I did and I also acknowledged that I was telling myself the same lies that she does. Different words, same lies. I said it stops now bc I do NOT want to burden my daughter due to my lifestyle choices.

Approximately two years later I had the surgery. I came to the decision earlier, but getting to the actual surgery was a process and I'm glad I went through it bc I gained the skills I needed to be successful at it. I know two people who pulled the trigger too fast and haven't been as successful. And truth be told I didn't WANT to go through the process. I wanted a quick fix, but the Kaiser program (in retrospect) was awesome and just what I needed, if not what I wanted.

I can understand that, I certainly don't want to be a burden to my son. It's great that you were proactive and took the appropriate steps before health issues set in. Much more success to you going forward.