Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Girly Stuff In Mexico

I was going to put this in the ladies forum, but am thinking it may be different in Mexico than the states, sooooo. . .

When you were having surgery in Mexico was having your fingers and toes polished OK and were there any restrictions on shaving .

I have read and experienced American hospitals not liking you to have polished nails due to monitoring oxygen levels, is this also true in Mexican hospitals or no ?

I have no idea why you would not be able to shave right before and after surgery but that is what I am reading on the non-Mexico boards but I was not told of any such thing in my pre - op directions.

Any one know anything about this .

The idea of having busted nails and being hairy is something I can come to terms with I guess if necessary but I prefer not.

I was going to put this in the ladies forum' date=' but am thinking it may be different in Mexico than the states, sooooo. . .

When you were having surgery in Mexico was having your fingers and toes polished OK and were there any restrictions on shaving .

I have read and experienced American hospitals not liking you to have polished nails due to monitoring oxygen levels, is this also true in Mexican hospitals or no ?

I have no idea why you would not be able to shave right before and after surgery but that is what I am reading on the non-Mexico boards but I was not told of any such thing in my pre - op directions.

Any one know anything about this .

The idea of having busted nails and being hairy is something I can come to terms with I guess if necessary but I prefer not.[/quote']

I had no problems having my toes painted and I shaved the night before surgery. No problems what do ever. That was with Dr. Alvarez, not sure who u r going to. I've never heard of that before .... After surgery, it may be hard to bend to shave, maybe that's a reason ? But I woke up with no pain, at all and questioning if I had surgery.

Your toes, were your nails on your hands done also ?

I know dr. Ponce de leon in TJ requires nothing on fingernails.

Also as soon as you can leave the hospital, Trish gets all the ladies mani/pedi. I seem to remember something about Dr. Kelly doing the same.

I have been told not to shave before other surgeries and was told it was to prevent having breaks in the skin even tiny knicks bc they can be a possible sight where bacteria can enter and cause infection.. Only some surgeons require this from my experience though. If you really want to paint I would go with clear or French but no acrylic the anesthesiologist monitors with a pulse oximeter on finger(acrylic can interfere) and he also watches the color of tonails to assess your oxygen levels .

Hmmmm, maybe I am going to have to bug Omar to get Dr, Kelly's final say on this. I love my tips n toes done and would like them looking good for the trip, but at $60 a crack I will be sad if they take it off 24 hours later for surgery. I am just vain not rich :D

I would love one afterward also, but if it is OK to get one before and I get a gel I will not need one for another month . <sigh> such frivolous problems

LOL I am SO right there with ya on not wanting to go into surgery looking like a hairy ugly nail girl hahaha

I am an OR nurse and this is in NO way medical advice, just my experience. I have not had any patients that I know of in a LONG time come to the OR with those instructions... but I am sure it's prob based on the surgeons' comfort level. I would definitely check with Dr. Kelly. We shave people IN the operating room after they are under anesthesia all the time.. but we also immediately prep their skin right after and we use a combination of any or one of the following based on surgeon preference: betadine, chloraprep, hibiclens, rubbing alcohol.

We do realllllllly like having a fingernail we can put a pulse-ox on so we can see how your oxygen saturation is throughout surgery, but I work in a major trauma center so we get people all the time rolling into emergency surgery after car accidents and gunshot wounds etc with fake nails on and there ARE other places to put that probe so again, just ask your surgeon's office and it's typically up to your anesthesiologist's comfort level as they will be the one monitoring that throughout surgery. ;)

Anyway that's just some info... and I hear Omar is super nice so I'm sure he won't mind you giving him a call! My advice is just follow whatever they recommend :)

I had toenail polish and shaved legs with Dr Garcia, no problem.

Some guys like to not be 'furry' as well, and I was specifically instructed to NOT shave my stomach before surgery, as they would do that themselves. I also indulge in toenail polish, and had the nail person paint butterflies on my big toes the day before surgery. I thought the symbolism was appropriate, and the floor nurses thought it was great!

KS Fort Worth, My bad, you are correct. We ALL like to look our best in whatever way suits us best. As of today your toes look 100 % better than mine :D . I have an e mail in to Omar I will update once I get a reply in case others in the future read this string for reference .

I shaved because I would not have been able to stand myself for that time, lol. I also got a pedi with polish and a mani with clear polish the day before I left.

I did buy a bottle of hibiclens and washed my stomach with that 3 days before up until the day of surgery and I am still washing with it.

hibiclens

Whazzat?

I just looked it up (hibiclens) can you get that at Target or CVS or something ? Do you feel it helped ?