Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Stupid Question #2 -- Good Calories Bad Calories

Hi everyone,

Let me start off and say I have not had the surgery yet. My first appointment is this week with the surgeon. Of course I'm reading this forum like crazy and something I've read quite a bit is that it is hard to eat all the calories required. Some people say they have more success when they eat a little more but sometimes find it impossible to eat more.

I worry about this too. Isn't staying on 500-600 calories daily just wreaking havoc with our already compromised metabolisms?

Now for the stupid question. Many people supplement with Protein Shakes to make sure they're at least getting that in-- what about trying to eat more things that are higher calorie ( of course in small portions) that give you more bang for the buck to up caloric intake? Am I crazy? It sounds like that would simplify the daily struggle. I'm not looking forward to having to obsess about tiny amounts of this and that and here and there 18 hours a day. What about supplementing with Protein and then try to have something higher calorie as a snack -- say a scoop of ice cream or some chocolate. Then maybe have chicken salad for dinner with real full fat mayo... I'd love to hear individual daily menu examples -- from all different stages.

Ok, that was just me rambling on about things that are zipping around my brain...

Honestly, I don't count calories (and I know I should). I am in the habit of eating what I want, and when I want it, I also work out daily. If I happen to eat ice cream or frozen yougurt or baked whatever, I know I will burn it off the next day. I work out every day for at least 60 min so I know that what ever I eat, I will burn it off during my next workout session. Calories in calories out, bottom line, too easy.

Finding MeMe,

Went to profile page and saw your picture and you have done fantastic. Keep up whatever you are doing you look great.

Dana,

I am pre-op and have been reading this site daily for 2 months. The statement about the ice cream and the chocolate is not wise, that is what got us the way we are in the first place. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but you should up your calories at THAT POINT with good carbs like fruit or some kind of vegetable. The occasional treat food would come sparingly after you are at goal and for maintenance as a meal FindingMeMe is doing now. She knows what she can eat and exercise away the next day because she is at goal.

Keep reading and you will understand what I mean. Best of luck to you on your journey.

Dana,

I am pre-op and have been reading this site daily for 2 months. The statement about the ice cream and the chocolate is not wise, that is what got us the way we are in the first place. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but you should up your calories at THAT POINT with good carbs like fruit or some kind of vegetable. The occasional treat food would come sparingly after you are at goal and for maintenance as a meal FindingMeMe is doing now. She knows what she can eat and exercise away the next day because she is at goal.

Keep reading and you will understand what I mean. Best of luck to you on your journey.

Hi,

You may have missed the spirit of my question. I've read quite a number of posts that talk about not being able to eat the proper daily calories, which stalls many people. My comment about chocolate and ice cream was as a treat with lots of bang for the buck for someone that was having a difficult time getting enough calories in. I wasn't suggesting to eat ice cream instead of veggies or Protein. But it takes quite a bit more greens Beans as a snack (volume wise, which is the issue because you can only eat a small amount) than ice cream (again, volume wise). The point of post was that it may be quick way to add 100 calories if needed.

The problem is you can eat so little at one time if you supplement with ice cream and stuff you will not have room for Protein which is the most important food. I just have an extra shake if I am under my calories also the longer out you are the more you can consume

Sent from my SPH-D700 using VST

When I was on all liquids, I had a problem getting in more than 500 calories. I would drink roughly 3 shakes a day (20-30g Protein each) (160-180 cal each). The liquid stage for me only lasted two weeks, so it wasn't very long that I wasn't getting in enough calories. If I found that I was feeling a little lethargic, I would drink some fresh fruit juice - good for Fiber and calories.

Now that I am eating more normally, I have no problem getting in all my calories. In fact, I often have to make sure that I don't go too high which keeps me tracking my intake during the week.

I also supplement with shakes. I am not a big fan of eating first thing in the morning, so I found a way around this by pouring my ready made shake into my coffee (half shake / half coffee). I do this twice in the morning and get in 30g of Protein and 160 calories.

A second shake for brunch would be another 160cal and 30g of protein.

I eat mid afternoon usually deli meat and cheese / fajita meat / or something similar. This usually runs me 150cal and 20g protein.

For dinner, I eat taco salad, a hamburger patty, or something similar with cheese. 150 cals and 20g protein.

(Sometimes I add sour cream, avacado, or greek yogurt - which adds about 60 calories)

After dinner, I usually stay away from heavier, protein foods. I'm too close to going to bed to want to lay down with food in my stomach. I tend to have a cup of watermelon, edamame, steamed veggies, etc. I usually get another 150- 200 cals and sometimes some protein depending on if I eat Beans vs veggies or fruit.< /p>

If I feel like I need more, I eat a handful of nuts.

This makes anywhere from 750-1000 calories a day for me. It has been more than enough to lose weight without feeling run down. There are plenty of calorie dense, healthier foods (nuts, avacado, olive oil etc) that can fill your diet once you can eat solid foods.

I think you are missing out on the logic of weight loss here. Would you consider the hagendas diet for instance a good way to lose weight, as long as you only eat 1000 calories of it daily? Or my favorite, the red wine and jelly belly diet, no fat....

It's not about just hitting a magic number,it's about hitting a proper balance. Unless you are fail to thrive you do not supplement with hagendas or other high fat and sugar foods (my son is and has been for a few years so I have actually lived this choice). The difference between him and us is that his stomach will allow other food in after the ice cream. Ours won't. In addition, the majority of his supplements are things like cocoanut oil or calorie boosting prescription powders that are nutritionally balanced. I could hit his calorie base likely if all I used was chocolate and ice cream, but he would eventually then die from malnutrition because we wouldn't be getting the balance in.

Hi Sunny,

You're menu sounds great and really doable. I love the idea of mixing the Protein shake with your coffee. Which brand shake do you use? I have to remember that all the posts that talk about "mushy" foods and pureeing meat and such are dealing with that during the first 6 months or so post surgery. I'm sure it gets better as time goes on. I'll just have to be very diligent not to skip something and force myself to eat even when I don't feel like it.

Thanks again for taking the time to share a day in your life menu! It really made me feel like there could be normalcy after the surgery.

Dana

It's not so much about the calories...it's getting enough Protein and Fluid. Try getting 70-90 grams of protein with just food (and a tiny stomach)...pretty much impossible without Protein Drinks. At least in the beginning. I am content with having at least one Protein Drink in a day for the rest of my life. But introducing food back into my diet is definitely fun!

I get your question. You would be better off eating something like guacamole, nuts or other healthy fats. They are calorie dense, but not loaded with sugar. I have not had this problem of not being able to get in enough calories, but yes, some do.

I am almost 7 months out and stay around 750-800 calories. The general rule is Protein first, then some veggies and fruits in small amounts. If I am mountain hiking or doing something strenuous then I might up my carbs a little and have some good, healthy bread. I don't eat refined sugar at all or highly processed foods.

If I want to add calories, I will eat a handful of almonds or pistachios or an oz. of cheese. A little of those go a long way. I eat a modified Paleo (or some call it "Primal") diet and here is what I'm eating today for Breakfast and lunch

3 oz sirloin

24 small shrimp sauteed in coconut oil

Greek yogurt 6 oz

1/8 cup sliced almonds (love them in my yogurt!)

1/2 cup broccoli

For dinner I might have some chicken breast and more broccoli - although some baby back ribs are calling my name. I can eat 2 or three. I skip the sugary sauce though and make my own.

P.S. I mix coffee in my chocolate Protein powder. I will usually do 6 oz of coffee and 2 oz of 2% milk.

I make my own Protein ice cream and don't eat sugar. I also won't eat mayo because at 100 calories a TBS, its a waste. Try mixing your chicken salad with high protein plain Greek yogurt instead. Add a few cranberries, grapes or nuts in.

Got my labs back. Everything is normal. I haven't been sick a day.

*****White Flag***** ****** White Flag****** ******White Flag******

Ok, sometimes my stupidity amazes me! Why oh why I thought mentioning ice cream on a weight loss surgery forum was a good idea I will never know!! Chalk it up to

1) I love ice cream. Uh, duh right? That is why I'm here -- I love it too much obviously.

2) I'm still getting the hang of this surgery and "mushy" food thing -- it just turns me off and ice cream to me is a mushy food that does not turn me off! LOL Again, duh right?

Believe it or not I did lose 160lbs by doing low carb 10 tens ago. And I was still a size 16 at that point. But I was happy -- going from a size 32 to 16 was fine was with me. I kept most of it off until about 4 years ago when I begin struggling. And it has been 4 years of devastated self esteem, failure after failure. I have gained 60lbs back. I have Multiple Sclerosis and I want to make the most of my life NOW just in case I'm physically limited down the road. I had sort of an epiphany ---- I really believe this surgery is my only hope.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and restraint instead of just posting "you're a moron". :)

Dana

*****White Flag***** ****** White Flag****** ******White Flag******

Ok, sometimes my stupidity amazes me! Why oh why I thought mentioning ice cream on a weight loss surgery forum was a good idea I will never know!! Chalk it up to

1) I love ice cream. Uh, duh right? That is why I'm here -- I love it too much obviously.

2) I'm still getting the hang of this surgery and "mushy" food thing -- it just turns me off and ice cream to me is a mushy food that does not turn me off! LOL Again, duh right?

Believe it or not I did lose 160lbs by doing low carb 10 tens ago. And I was still a size 16 at that point. But I was happy -- going from a size 32 to 16 was fine was with me. I kept most of it off until about 4 years ago when I begin struggling. And it has been 4 years of devastated self esteem, failure after failure. I have gained 60lbs back. I have Multiple Sclerosis and I want to make the most of my life NOW just in case I'm physically limited down the road. I had sort of an epiphany ---- I really believe this surgery is my only hope.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and restraint instead of just posting "you're a moron". :)

Dana

You're a moron ;)

Kidding. Welcome to the board. The sleeve is going to work. Period. There are some life-long habits to break, but now you will have a tool that works. There are lots of cooking strategies that will help you. I tell everyone to go here:

TheworldaccordingtoEggface.com

She is bypass, but her way of cooking is general bariatric friendly and it's good stuff. She was once 5' and 300+ pounds. She is now a knockout.

For my coffee, I use the ready to drink Muscle Milk Cookies 'N Cream. I have heard of plenty of people using the Protein powder instead.

I am only 7 weeks out. I have been on solid foods since week 5. Not everyone does a long post op phase of liquids and mushy foods. For me -

Week 1 - Clear Liquids

Week 2 - full liquids

Week 3/4 - mushy&soft food

Week 5 - solids

For the record, during my evening Snacks, my food of choice is edamame or watermelon, but on occasion, I have had ice cream or frozen yogurt with some fruit. I had half of a cupcake at a birthday celebration. I find that these foods seem incredibly sweet to me now, and I don't need more than a few bites before I feel satisfied. I purposely do not eat past the point of satisfaction. I do not want to feel stuffed. I did hit a stall at week 3-5, and I went back to mostly liquids for a few days. I am steadily moving down with another 8 lbs gone in the last 7 days. I feel that I may lose weight faster if I didn't have these treats or if I were on a liquid or mushy diet longer, but I am still losing. I am not miserable. I do not feel deprived. I'm satisfied, content, and I am still moving towards my weight loss goals. I am a firm believer that I shouldn't have to eliminate any one food from my diet. I want to have a normal, well rounded meal plan that involves moderation and healthy choices with occasional treats.