Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where You Ever A Naysayer?

I have to admit, I was. I was one of those people that thought about bypass, but never did it because it seem so extreme to me. That was in 2003. I loss weight and got to a comfortable 223 (still fat), but lived there and just excepted that was my life. I was active, I exercised and had great labs. So here I am back at 259-260 and going through the sleeve process. I admit I have had several friends that had RNY and I was always supportive, but always stated it was not for me. Now I am dealing with my own hypocritical feelings. I said I would NEVER do this.....NEVER is a mightly long time. I always believe in life everything ain't for everybody. So I am sure some people in my life will call me a hypocrite. I will deal with that when the time comes.

Anyone else feel the same way prior to making this decision?

Yes, when I originally went in 2 yrs ago, I didn't go through because I thought it was the easy way out.

40 pounds later, I realized I couldn't do it on my own.

I was sleeved 7/17 and can say with utmost certainty that it is NOT the easy way out but far from it.

As for being a hypocrite, just own it!! You just weren't ready back then. It definitely is a mindset to be ready to completely change everything about your life. You can just tell others that. Anyway, RNY wasn't for you that is why your doing VSG.

Your feelings are completely normal!!

I didn't think it was for more, but 7 more years of being overweight changed my mind. I needed help, and I realized it wasn't the easy way out any more than taking insulin was the easy way out for someone with type II diabetes.

Thank you. I am just glad that I was supportive of my friends that went that route and in that why not hypocritical. I am so excited for my lifestyle change and I think once you get to that point, it is easy not to care so much what others think. I have a husband and mother that are so amazing and supportive.

I still could not personally go through with a bypass surgery.... it was not until I heard about the sleeve that WLS was an option for me. I do feel a bit like a hypocrite because I would say.... just eat like you had one. Tried that and never lasted more then 4 days so I decided after researching the sleeve that this was a safe way I was willing to go to make the lifestyle change I desired.

@shrinkydinkme..too funny that is what you thought. Right after my surgery, my aunt said, "You know they say that if you just eat like you had the surgery that you will lose weight just the same." WHAT!!! If it was that easy there wouldn't be any overweight people.

I just said well guess I'm not one of those people...I actually needed to have the surgery to lose the weight. Lol. .Some people just don't get it!!!

I still could not personally go through with a bypass surgery.... it was not until I heard about the sleeve that WLS was an option for me. I do feel a bit like a hypocrite because I would say.... just eat like you had one. Tried that and never lasted more then 4 days so I decided after researching the sleeve that this was a safe way I was willing to go to make the lifestyle change I desired.

I feel the same way, after finding out about the sleeve and all the research the bypass is not for me. However, I think so many people just lump all WLS together. Not understanding the differences.

Never say never, right!

3 years ago I was 1 week before RNY --did the whole process! I cancelled the surgery.

Now it's about a month since VSG and I'm so glad I listened to that (very powerful-- not some doubt) voice that said DON'T DO IT back then!! I know this was the procedure for me.

I spent the next few years saying it was too drastric, I could never alter my body like that, yada yada...

Guess what, if stretching my body to the size of two people isn't alteration I don't what is. :o

So..whatever floats your boat! (Or whatever keeps you from capsizing the boat). :mellow:

Not me I always said if it come down to it and I got to the point where I had to do it I would.

About 100lbs lighter than my highest I was going to have the one weight loss thing not listed and that’s the ball they put in your stomach for 6 months its non evasive it takes up 3/4 of your stomach and pretty much has the effect of a smaller stomach but max length of time your allowed it in there is 6 months.

Then I messed up my back and some other stuff happened and I packed on 70lbs in 5 months then some more so it wasn’t really a good idea and something more drastic was needed.

Never say never, right!

I spent the next few years saying it was too drastric, I could never alter my body like that, yada yada...

Guess what, if stretching my body to the size of two people isn't alteration I don't what is. :o

Wow, looking at it this way makes a lot of sense. I'm pre-surgery, and one of my "anti-surgery mantras" has been the idea that it might be altering my body in too drastic of a way. But I never thought about the fact that what I'm currently doing to my body is pretty darn drastic in and of itself. Thanks for the fresh perspective :)

Same here, Shrinky. I had a good friend who had an open bypass back in 2001, and I supported her whole-heartedly. We were in our early 20's and I knew that I wasn't ready for WLS. I've gone on to lose and regain the same 40 pounds about 6 or 7 times. I lost 110 back in '09 and gained it all back plus 10 by 2012. This is when I knew I was ready for WLS, and only the sleeve.

I am that girl, I alwaysss said, "why would they take the easy way out, that's not for me, blah blah blah", now here I am thirty hours from my surgery thinking, why didn't I do this years ago? I couldnt even fast the two weeks before because of the hunger pains do for people to say," why don't you eat like you have the surgery"? I can now say, " well because I don't have a tiny stomach therefore I would suffer for

Hunger pains daily"!!! People are ignorant as I was for too long, now I know this surgery is for me and I will be a happier and healthier person and I busted my ass to get there!!!! Keep in mind that when WLS became popular, many people who clearly weren't even obese did get surgery for cosmetic reasons and for fast results this is why most insurances are so strict now!!!