Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Advice On How To Quit Smoking?

I'm still very early in the process and don't see the surgeon until September 7th. I just got my packet in the mail and had no idea I had to quit smoking 2 MONTHS prior to surgery! I thought it would more like 2 WEEKS!. Now I'm in total panic and scared I won't be able to do it. I need a plan fast! Any suggestion?!?!

I had to quit smoking at least one month prior to surgery. I used the patch, and filled up a gallon zip lock with Charms Blow Pops and tootsie Roll Pops. I popped a sucker in every time I felt urge to smoke.

I am now three months smoke free, and 2 months post op. I'm not on any kind of smoking aid.

Good luck to you, you can do it

Visit the American Lung Association's website. I quit 8 years ago and joined their forum and followed their program.They have lots of tips. It was the only thing that ever worked for me.

Good luck!

I've never really been a smoker, so I cant really speak from experience. What I can say by looking at statistical evidence and talking to my dad(he smoked for 21 years).

It takes sheer frustration, disgust, fear, or willpower. You've gotta draw that line in the sand & take your life back. Weening yourself off simply doesn't work. My dad even now, 23 years smoke free, says that there is the occasional temptation(usually in stressful moments). But he knows that if he lights up, he'll have to start all over again. It's just not worth it.

You are making a choice to take your life back with this surgery. Are you willing to only control part of your life? I hope not.

TAKE IT ALL BACK!

This is your life. You are in control. You can do this. Don't be a slave to addictions any more.

Keep in mind, we are here to help you, if you get tempted, come here and tell us, we understand temptation. If you fall, come here, we have all fallen.

And remember falling does not equal failure, not getting back up is when you've failed.

I quit after a quad bypass.....really easy decision when the alternative is death. You are probably in this zone. Weigh it up.....there is a difficult trip but the alternatives are not acceptable. Good luck XXX

I've never really been a smoker' date=' so I cant really speak from experience. What I can say by looking at statistical evidence and talking to my dad(he smoked for 21 years).

It takes sheer frustration, disgust, fear, or willpower. You've gotta draw that line in the sand & take your life back. Weening yourself off simply doesn't work. My dad even now, 23 years smoke free, says that there is the occasional temptation(usually in stressful moments). But he knows that if he lights up, he'll have to start all over again. It's just not worth it.

You are making a choice to take your life back with this surgery. Are you willing to only control part of your life? I hope not.

TAKE IT ALL BACK!

This is your life. You are in control. You can do this. Don't be a slave to addictions any more.

Keep in mind, we are here to help you, if you get tempted, come here and tell us, we understand temptation. If you fall, come here, we have all fallen.

And remember falling does not equal failure, not getting back up is when you've failed.[/quote']

Very inspirational. Sometimes I need this during my stressful moments when I can't binge eat, but it would be easy to light up.

I quit smoking in 2004 and have never looked back. I used Wellbutrin and the patch. Check with your primary Dr about getting on Chantrix. Also, visit this website - they were a great help to me. www.quitnet.com

I had to quit 1 month prior to surgery. The E.cig helped trmendously. I was more of a hand to mouth addict, hence my weight issue, everyone is different. I think you just really have to set your mind to it. This surgery was a huge motivator. Good luck

chantix.... chantix... chantix !!!! One of the major side effects is the vivid dream that you cann have (nightmares) I found out if I took my first pill in the morning and the other at lunchtime I was able to sleep much better.

chantix.... chantix... chantix !!!! One of the major side effects is the vivid dream that you cann have (nightmares) I found out if I took my first pill in the morning and the other at lunchtime I was able to sleep much better.

Agreed! Best thing I ever did. I had no side effects. My hubby had very

Vivid and kinky dreams.

If you DO have uncomfortable aide effects, don't try to power through them - stop taking it and tell your doc. They're extremely rare, but can happen

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I would have to agree chantix helped me. I quit one month prior to surgery because i was scared they were going to test me for nicotine in my system. It was hard for a week or so then got easier after knowing that it would be a disaster after surgery if i didnt and risking not being able to get the surgery. I havent picked up a cig Since june 11 and never looked back im 4weeks post op and feel great as far as exercising and not being totally winded. I know you can do it just look at the big picture and what the out come will be.

I'm still very early in the process and don't see the surgeon until September 7th. I just got my packet in the mail and had no idea I had to quit smoking 2 MONTHS prior to surgery! I thought it would more like 2 WEEKS!. Now I'm in total panic and scared I won't be able to do it. I need a plan fast! Any suggestion?!?!

I hear ya!

I had wrapped my mind (and heart) around quitting surgery when the surgery happened, so I was blindsided last week when I found out I should have quit smoking a month before surgery. I found out on 8/9 that I should have quit mid-July for surgery, which is set for 8/20.

This was the first pre-op paperwork that I had gotten tha mentioned quitting smoking a month before surgery. And I had been upfront and honest with everyone that I smoke, but I am a light smoker - 5 cigarettes a day.

I was so traumatized. I told my sister and the surgical consultant i felt like I had just been told I *HAVE* to break up with my boyfriend, and I didn't even get to say goodbye.

Here's what I learned: If I have above a certain nicotine level in my blood, they will NOT do the surgery. I've come this far so I'm not doing anything to jeopardize that.

Also, my sister pointed out, I'm probably going to be miserable after surgery, so why would I want to make myself more miserable by going through cigarette withdrawal at the same time? Better to get through that now, so then when I am post-op, I can just focus on recovery.

And my last two thoughts

1) cigarette smoking SLOWS down your recovery, causes greater risks for gastric ulcers and blood clots. I am going through a lot to get my new little baby stomach. I want to treat it really well, and not do anything that my hurt my recovery, or hurt me.

2) if you were to puff on cigarettes post-op, you would be increasing gases to your new baby stomach. You will already be very gassy. No need to make yourself even more uncomfortable.

Good luck,

Christine

What paperwork states you have to quit? Insurance or surgeon?

What paperwork states you have to quit? Insurance or surgeon?

Usually it's the surgeon requesting. Mine will not operate on anyone that smokes, it's his personal preference due to the healing issues with smokers. He requires that you quit two months prior to surgery. His nurse told me that if he even suspects a person did not quit, he'll test them for nicotine. That is how strongly he feels about it.

To the OP I say, you have to make a decision on what is more important to you. I smoked for over 20 years and quit cold turkey right at the two month mark for my surgery. Did I want to? Of course not, I was one of those people that actually enjoyed smoking so to me it was not some huge addiction. The only time I have cravings is when under extreme stress. Will I stay smoke free forever, who is to say but right now it is of the utmost importance that I do, so I will.

I was a very heavy smoker and I NEVER thought I would quit in time for my surgery. I had my last cig on Nov 29, 2011! I used Chantix. I continued to smoke for a month while on it...and finally I got so sick of not getting ANYTHING from it and from spending so much money. So, I bought blow pops and woke up the next morning and didn't even think about it. It's not been easy as there are times I still want one...however, i feel so much better than before. Good luck.