Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have heard different stories about the psych eval too. I believe that it is important too but way more important with some patients compared to others. Some psychs are just doing these because they are required by insurance and they are getting paid. Others really do care and listen to the patient in order to help ID any potential serious issues that may have detremental effects on the patient's outcome. I see this stuff in the workplace all the time.

I have not been thru mine yet but to be honest I am not really that concerned about it. I know why I want to do this and I know myself better than anyone and don't mind admitting that. Hope that didn't sound cocky but it's true. With the time and money invested in the whole process' date=' I would much rather have someone ask my questions and talk with me for a bit of time rather than say "oh yeah that sounds good, good luck and see ya later." I know it's all perspective and all but think about it in terms of what might actually help you. They see people doing this surgery all the time and I am sure that they see definite patterns to people and pick up on it. They may see something in someone that they have seen before and be able to help someone else with the same triggers or issues. It's kind of a peace of mind really that someone actually takes the time to listen...[/quote']

Yep I think just about any profession you will find people who are there to get a pay check or simply burnt out. The one thing I wanted to mention about this too Is that there is another component in screening for specific disorders which are medicated with specific meds. My understanding is that they (medical world) seen not quite sure how those specific meds metabolize after the surgery and have not been able to....yet find a way to correctly do so and maintain stable mental health. I don't know what meds or disorders but my guess is psychotic disorders (just a guess) . So perhaps some are providing the MMPI (the big question test) or other of the like too :)

As far as mental conditions, I am bi-polar. The psych told me bi's do not do well because they stop taking their meds when they feel better. So, that is something to remember. Since I was only diagnosed 5 years ago, I know what "even" feels like and would never want to go back to highs and lows.

I had a much different experience with my psych eval than a lot of people. I have had problems with depression in the past and am currently treated and doing well. I picked a psychologist that I hadn't seen before because of scheduling availability and I wish I'd picked someone else. My insurance did not require me to take the long standardized test, which I was thankful for because those kind of things make me nervous. As soon as she heard about my depression history and when I hit a deep depression (About 6 years ago) she narrowed in on it and forced me to take the test. I answered honestly, but she told me it came back invalid (Which she had assured me was impossible if you answered honestly). Turns out she didn't have the right scoring tool and took a long time to get it fixed/get back to me.

There were comments made throughout the session that indicated the only reason she wanted me to take the personality test was because she wanted to cover her butt - My insurance just wanted to make sure I was sane enough to make informed consent. Not making it up, when I told her about my severe depression years ago when I was young she jumped in and cut me off and switched to the test and even after telling her I'd rather talk because I was nervous she told me it was to "Cover um...our butts if anything was to happen" Even nervous I would have been happier taking the test if she hadn't been so forceful/short with me about it.

I understand what she was getting at not wanting me to be depressed post surgery, but my psychiatrist that I've been seeing for over a year had already approved a letter saying that she thought I was fit for surgery, she just doesn't do full bariatric evaluations. I already was looking into post-op therapy and the psychologist knew this. Her whole attitude was rather offensive.

So, I guess my advice is if your bariatric clinic recommends a specific therapist or psychologist, go to them. The whole nonsense with her ended up taking longer than it would have to get into the other clinic about a week later.

The psychiatrist that did my evaluation was a self-righteous, anorexic-looking dingbat. She put me through a series of questions relating to my support system. She wanted to make sure that I understood that people would treat me differently, including my own partner. She wanted to make sure I was psychologically ready and that the people I told about my surgery would accept me no matter what.

She also asked me if I'd had any emotional problems in the past: OCD, depression, manic episodes. She also asked about the mental stability of all my family members.

Then she went into my education history, acting completely unimpressed by any of it even though I had more degrees than she did.

Her attitude made it seem that if I didn't answer the question to her satisfaction it would immediately disqualify me. It put me on the defensive and I ended up giving her terse, one-word answers to everything.

Then I started asking her questions: how long she had been out of school, is this the only thing she's done in her profession so far (counseling weight loss patients), had she ever been overweight, etc. She said she was never overweight, which made me even less confident in her abilities.

It all lasted about 15 minutes (and charged my insurance $360 for it).

I am grateful that my psych had the bypass surgery 7 years ago, so she knows what she was talking about. She kept asking me if I was sure I wanted the sleeve and why.

I told her I wanted something that could not be reversed; did not want the malabsorption and the nausea.

My psych eval lasted less than a minute. I didn't even meet with someone. It was done over the phone. It was stupid.

Hi!!

My psychological evaluation lasted an hour, not including the time it took me to fill out 370 true or false questions.

I was told prior to my appointment that the psychologist doesn't not determine if we are fit or unfit for the surgery. However, they figure out how to help us be successful. These result would not be read until after our appointment.

The actually appointment lasted an hour in time and was very dynamic. We talked very little about surgery. We talked about nearly all major aspects of my life: weight, goals, masters program, parenting, marriage, extended family, friends, events I enjoy for fun, and more. I left the appointment with a list of goals to accomplish/do.

It was alright. Nothing exciting. Boring to sit and talk about your life in depth for that long with a stranger.

Best,

Sannah

Sent from my iPhone using VST

My psych eval lasted less than a minute. I didn't even meet with someone. It was done over the phone. It was stupid.

That's sad and part of the reason I often vent here because in that time someone who has issues that need to be dealt with is going to be missed and will be one of the idiots posting how much they want Mac and cheese day two and ate it day three, "but only a little".

I could have used a min veal....I'm boringly sane :). And don't have emotional issues attached to food, and I hope you are the same, but if not, go back and threaten suicide by chocolate cake at that psycs office just for grins and giggles pretty please just after surgery? (I mean don't eat it....just freak them out enough to do their job lol).

My psych eval lasted about 45 min and we talked about the surgery, my relationship with food, plans for the future, etc.

I didn't have to take any tests.

I guess because I am a therapist it took 5 minutes and it turned out I knew her

Sent from my SPH-D700 using VST

Mine was the same as a lot of people's. I had to take a computerized multiple choice test -- anyone with half a brain would know not to pick the answers that sound psychotic.

Then we talked for about 45 min. It was clear that she was a dingbat from the getgo, and she kept apologizing for forgetting her train of thought. It was all right, though, with everyone she sees daily, there is no way any of my "personal" info made a dent in her brain.

I thought mine would be a simple interview to weed out possible psychoses like OCD, or people who would go psycho after they were suddenly skinny. Nope. Mine. Was 4 hours long. The first hour was the interview which started normal enough. One moment he was asking about my line of work and if I enjoyed it, etc, then suddenly asks if I hear voices lol. I actually 'lol'd but be kept a straight face, and I thought that was one strike lol. He then proceeded to lead me through mental exercises I remember doing on clinically insane patients while in nursing school! The last 3 hours consisted of me taking several tests on paper. One test was a few hundred questions long.

In a nutshell, it wasn't cake like I read online most people experienced. I asked him at the follow up what type of personalities he would NOT allow to have surgery, and he said emotional eaters, addictive personalities, and people with poor coping mechanisms. Also people currently undergoing clinical depression. As he stated, your WLS journey would be most successful if those factors are treated before surgery happens.

Hope this helps, and best of luck!

Has anyone ever been denied due to psych eval? I haven't been through mine yet but just setup the appointment. I was told it would be a 45 minute interview and then 2 units of testing. My coordinator said that it is rare for someone to be denied due to the eval.

Mine was a computer assessment which took about 15 minutes and then a 15 minute talk with the nut, very simple process, just a bunch of questions , some were kinda stupid but....

I've seen a couple of posts here of people who weren't denied but were required to attend additional counseling prior to surgery (so delayed). One had been abused as a child I remember and also said she was an emotional eater when she had to be around family. Another said she was a closet grazer and was on drugs for....I can't remember but it was a personality disorder where the drugs were necessary.