Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm Mourning Something Stupid.....

I know this is silly, but I am having a hard time giving away my two gorgeous Jones of New York jackets.....one a size 16 and one a 14. But they are way too big on me now and look silly. I have no one to give them to here because no one would wear them in Hawaii. I'd like to sell them because they cost me about $500 for both of them but maybe I'm being unrealistic. I feel for those who had super expensive really nice things; I didn't have that many living here in Hawaii. But these are from my working days. Any ideas are welcome. I don't think I can have them tailored which is too bad because we're moving to Amsterdam and I would wear them there.....oh well, just had to get this off my chest. It's stupid to be so sad about this.

Could you put them on Craigslist to try and sell them? Or a consignment shop that will buy from you outright.

If not, you could always find a woman's organization that helps them find jobs...many of these take donations of work clothes and you can write off on your taxes.

In addition to Craiglist, you could also try Ebay or Amazon. But I vote for the organization that helps women dress for interviews for employment and yes you write it off on your taxes.

I feel your pain. I just packed up all my 18W, 20W, and 22W professional wardrobe separates and suits. Hundreds of dollars worth of beautiful clothes that I just want GONE. I was thinking of eBay, but I don't have the patience and don't want them hanging around here. There is an organization locally called "Success in Style," that trains and outfits women who are reentering the workforce or changing jobs. I get the tax receipt and know that it's going to someone who may really benefit. I'm not sure if you've reached your goal or not, but the thing that is killing me is buying clothes that I know I'll be wearing for only a short time. I'm going to get over my fear of thrift stores and consignment shops; I have had some awesome luck at summer clearance sales.

Is there room to get them altered down to your current size? That's what I've been thinking about lately because I have some stuff that I'd rather get altered than throw away.

Edit: Just re-read and saw where you didn't think you could get them altered. You should take them in just to make sure.

I know this is silly, but I am having a hard time giving away my two gorgeous Jones of New York jackets..... It's stupid to be so sad about this.

I don't think it is stupid at all. People hold on to memories through tangible things whether they are photos or clothes. Maybe those clothes represented that you felt good about yourself wearing them--even if you were heavy and we know Jones of New York commands respect!

If you can't part with them, how about having the backs of them cut into a pillow and getting it embroided with something that captures your new success?

If you can't part with them, how about having the backs of them cut into a pillow and getting it embroided with something that captures your new success?

best advice ever!!! I'll be keeping this in mind for myself. :)

I don't think it's stupid at all, I have some georgous leather jackets size large that I just can't give away to the good will. I also have some beautiful ball and evening gowns that no longer fit. I just keep them in my closet because I just can't stand to give them away. Maybe I will try craiglist but knowing me I won't do it.

Thanks everyone for the great advice! I can't alter them, and no consignment shop would take them here (it's Hawaii.....no one wears stuff like this). But I think mailing them to one of the women's organizations would be a great idea. Appreciate the support and good ideas.......I feel better already. Wonderful support here.

Thanks everyone for the great advice! I can't alter them' date=' and no consignment shop would take them here (it's Hawaii.....no one wears stuff like this). But I think mailing them to one of the women's organizations would be a great idea. Appreciate the support and good ideas.......I feel better already. Wonderful support here.[/quote']

Why cant you alter them? Alterations are almost always possible....especially altering down.

I think the entire jackets would have to be remade; I have altered many many things, but these just aren't possible, the cost of tailoring them would over $100 each I think. But I might ask. Thanks.