Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plateau After Only Two Weeks?! Wtf!

So here I am 4 weeks post-op from band to sleeve revision. The lapband sucked. I lost 32 pounds in 5 months and gained back 12 for a whopping total of 20 pound lost in 22 months. I had the sleeve done on July 9th. At my two week post-op I was down 14 pounds. This morning I tagged along with my husband to the surgeons office because he unfortunately needed a hernia re-do just 3 weeks after I had my sleeve and my surgeon took care of him. I honestly wasn't feeling very hopeful to begin with, but I was told that I could stop by to use the scale so I did. Ah, yes, I love walking out in tears. I haven't lost another ounce in 2 weeks despite my disgustingly healthy diet. Seriously, I can't do this again. I thought the ridiculously slow loss and plateau with the band was bad, but to stop losing after only 2 fricking weeks?

I see an Endocrinologist for blood sugar issues which are totally under control, in fact, I'm probably off meds in the next few months for good, and I have a horrible family history of thyroid problems that allegedly haven't hit me, but I'm not convinced. Is my body that completely retarded that I can have two weight loss surgeries and not lose any real weight? I don't consider my 14 pounds a huge success because a good amount of that is Water weight.

I am eating chicken, turkey, tuna and some beef. I just started with some veggies. I do not eat fruit, drink any juice, sodas, nothing with sugar or calories. I don't eat starches with the exception of a bite or two here and there if I am cooking. I almost had an anxiety attack over 6 pieces of whole wheat penne the other night. A normal person would be on the fast track to skinnytown. Me- just hungry and fat.

When I left the doctor's office, I was so upset that I cancelled my 6 week follow up. I walked all the way home in tears. I couldn't wait in that office for my husband to drive me home. I'm sunburned and haven't had a single bite to eat today and it's nearly 1pm. I feel like I'm going to throw up when I try to look at food. I'm so stupid that I even forgot that it's my 14th wedding anniversary today. That's how consumed I am with trying to be healthy and depressed I am right now. Could I possibly be a bigger idiot?

I am so sorry you are having such a tough time. I have not yet had surgery, so my experience is none. However, the one thing I have gotten and understand since joining these boards is that the stalls are very common. Everyone that has expressed their experience with the stall have later came out and said that the weight does come off. I don't think I have read one post of a person that said they did not lose weight. Just think your body has gone through a tremendous transformation. You have to give it time to heal and figure out just what is going on. Please don't get discouraged. You will get through this period. I think mentally (because I am sure I will go through it) we think the weight is just gonna fall off. But our bodies are so much more complicated than that. I wish you luck. Happy Anniversary.

Just take a deep breath and it will be alright. I am 3 weeks out today and I think you are doing great. From reading this site EVERYONE has stalls.

I have lost almost 15 lbs from my surgery on the 17th and everyday the scale is different (I know I shouldn't weigh everyday but sometimes can't help myself :rolleyes:) . Your body probably needed time to readjust after your initial loss and from surgery....with as little as we are taking in you WILL lose weight. We can drive ourselves crazy with how much. I think a lot of people think that once we have the surgery we will drop huge amounts of weight over a short time. 14 pounds is a lot to lose in 1 month. Just don't be so hard on yourself this isn't a race (so I keep telling myself :) ) but a journey.

If you ever feel the need to just talk it out feel free to pm me. We are strong for having made it this far and will continue to get stronger along the way!!!

WOW you get to eat chicken, turkey and tuna at 4 weeks after surgery? i thought I'd still be on liquids at 4 weeks out or just on mushies - but what do I know - I'm not sleeved yet.

However, I have read 100's of posts just like yours about the dreaded 3-6 week stall - search for stall and you'll read a lot of peoples journey and you can then see their tickers and know it's going to get better.

Happy Anniversary - 14 years is amazing.

I don't think you are an idiot, but I think you are being hyper sensitive and you could use a little bit of patience with yourself and your body.

Canceling your doctor's appointment, obviously a bad choice, and not sure what time it is by you, but you haven't eaten today. If you stand a chance of losing weight this time, you know you need to get in 3 meals a day and 2 Snacks (something I hate doing myself).

Did you start out with a Protein shake for Breakfast? Are you honestly charting your food? Are you drinking 64 ounces of Water? Are you spacing your food out throughout the day? How many grams of Protein are you taking in a day?

I can't help you much on the 4 weeks thing because I was on full liquids still at 4 weeks, but I know what it is like to weight the same thing for 1-1/2 weeks, lose a pound, gain a pound on less than 500 calories and *edited 20 grams of carb and 65 grams of protein to finally lose that gained pound and lose one more. My weight loss is crawling right now, and I need to start stepping up more protein because i'm still hitting only 60-65 (70 on good days). I'm exercising a lot and my body is changing.

I get your frustrating, I get your anger, but the depression issue is something you need to work on, you need to work on letting it go and stop being a slave to the scale. You know yourself that if you do the right thing, chart your calories, carbs & protein and sodium and if you are falling in the right limits, you are going to eventually lose. Every day I see "you are eating too few calories" blah blah blah on Myfitnesspal.com. It says I will weigh a certain weight in 5 weeks if I eat the same way every day, and I do, but I haven't lost yet. Every once in a while, I'll have 2-3 pound drop and then I'm back to nothing again.

Some times our bodies do our own thing, you need to cut yourself some slack, make sure you are charting your food and tell your husband Happy Anniversary, and not let yourself get to 1:00pm without having a Protein Shake or something in your system.

I feel you, but sometimes you have to have some patience.

I would cut myself bit more slack if it wasn't for the look I got last week from my surgeon when he was talking to me as soon as my husband was out of surgery. He asked how I was doing and I said that I wasn't losing any more. He had a displeased look face and said, "really?" That wasn't a positive sign.

Hi...at 4 weeks I was on full liquids and pureed chicken ,fish, or turkey . I'am at 6 wks out now and have been having a nice little stall for the past three weeks...yes it's bugging me and yes I've asked on here and to my medical team ..."is this normal?"....and yes it is normal. Your body is adjusting to what we just put it through and trying to get back to "it's normal". I'm having a hard time just letting it do it's thing...but there is nothing else I can do but get my Protein, Water in and work out. That said it sucks...but I not gonna get too upset.....Good luck.

OMG you are me!!!!! I'm 4 weeks out and I've been in a stall for about 2 weeks now. I was getting on the scale 5 - 6 times a day and getting crazy and depressed. My doctor told me if I didn't stop, he was going to send me for psycho therapy. I'm on the scale once a day now and am trying very hard to only get on once a week. I'm not there yet. But thank God for this forum. I now know that whatever I'm going through is very normal. We'll go through it together okay????

OMG you are me!!!!! I'm 4 weeks out and I've been in a stall for about 2 weeks now. I was getting on the scale 5 - 6 times a day and getting crazy and depressed. My doctor told me if I didn't stop, he was going to send me for psycho therapy. I'm on the scale once a day now and am trying very hard to only get on once a week. I'm not there yet. But thank God for this forum. I now know that whatever I'm going through is very normal. We'll go through it together okay????

So I'm not the only one I see! I should have said in my first post that I don't expect to lose 5 pounds a week from the get go. I had the lapband so this isn't my first rodeo and needing the band in the first place means that I am fat to begin with and have really tried everything to lose weight. I am really hoping that my body would act accordingly and get rid of 1-2 pounds(3 on a good week) of fat and we could all just happily move on. Being that I am eating nearly pure Protein and small amounts of veggies, I thought that this time(just like I mistakenly did with the band) that I could shed the pounds more consistantly. I'm not obsessive about the scale. Some mornings I get one, some I don't. I can't totally rely on mine anyways. I prefer the digital one at the doctor's office.

Yes, I know how much Protein I need and I usually get that. I can get 35 grams in at Breakfast for only 260 calories with my veggie sausage patties and small protein shake from the doctor's office. I nibble on organic turkey breast, tuna, some cheese, and drink Muscle Milk. I'm very well aware of my Water intake, carbs, etc. I don't worry about sodium as I don't eat frozen meals or canned Soups and stuff like that. Any salt I get comes from what I would add from cooking which is little. I'm not a huge salt fan.

What I think made today worse for me that maybe for someone else is that I'm on my second surgery and I am having deju vu. I see this turning out just like the damn lapband. I played the game and did everything that I was supposed to do with that band and it didn't work. You should see all the clothes that are hanging in my closet with tags still on them from the fall of 2010 when I was all excited about being skinny. This time around I didn't throw out a thing. I can't fall for that trap again.

I know it's wrong to have such a negative outlook going into this, but I am just trying to protect myself against possible reality of failure once more. I refuse to have another surgery of this type again. Bypass, Roux-en Y, or whatever other new procedure may crop up will not be taking place in my body. My sister had the sleeve done on March 2, she lost 35, yes, 35 pounds in the first 4-5 weeks. She was pretty sick and dehydrated during that time and I wouldn't want to be in her shoes and wish the same for myself. She is now down 64 after 5 months. I'm not comparing myself to her, but I do use her experience to gauge what is possible.

How many calories are you eating per day, and how much Protein? You may have to adjust your calories. Are you doing any walking or workouts? Not judging just trying to help you. I hate that you are feeling so depressed.

You're me too! Band to sleeve revision, lost about the same amount with the band then stopped. Gained weight back. Got the sleeve. Lost 16 lbs. Stalled at about 2 1/2 weeks and have been stuck here. I'm three weeks out today and am on softs, getting in a good amount of Protein, tracking everything carefully on MyFitnessPal, getting in my fluids, staying away from carbs, etc. I'm stuck, frustrated, pissed off and am miserable because I wonder why I put myself through this for nothing. Closest I've ever followed a diet and I'm not getting anywhere. This sucks.

im 4 weeks out now. i got in a stall 2 weeks out. i started walking more and that broke my stall. i thought that i could personally lose the weight without exercising but for me in order to lose the weight i had to walk daily. i have lost 8 pounds in 2 weeks just because i decided to step up my game and walk more daily.

So here I am 4 weeks post-op from band to sleeve revision. The lapband sucked. I lost 32 pounds in 5 months and gained back 12 for a whopping total of 20 pound lost in 22 months. I had the sleeve done on July 9th. At my two week post-op I was down 14 pounds. This morning I tagged along with my husband to the surgeons office because he unfortunately needed a hernia re-do just 3 weeks after I had my sleeve and my surgeon took care of him. I honestly wasn't feeling very hopeful to begin with' date=' but I was told that I could stop by to use the scale so I did. Ah, yes, I love walking out in tears. I haven't lost another ounce in 2 weeks despite my disgustingly healthy diet. Seriously, I can't do this again. I thought the ridiculously slow loss and plateau with the band was bad, but to stop losing after only 2 fricking weeks?

I see an Endocrinologist for blood sugar issues which are totally under control, in fact, I'm probably off meds in the next few months for good, and I have a horrible family history of thyroid problems that allegedly haven't hit me, but I'm not convinced. Is my body that completely retarded that I can have two weight loss surgeries and not lose any real weight? I don't consider my 14 pounds a huge success because a good amount of that is Water weight.

I am eating chicken, turkey, tuna and some beef. I just started with some veggies. I do not eat fruit, drink any juice, sodas, nothing with sugar or calories. I don't eat starches with the exception of a bite or two here and there if I am cooking. I almost had an anxiety attack over 6 pieces of whole wheat penne the other night. A normal person would be on the fast track to skinnytown. Me- just hungry and fat.

When I left the doctor's office, I was so upset that I cancelled my 6 week follow up. I walked all the way home in tears. I couldn't wait in that office for my husband to drive me home. I'm sunburned and haven't had a single bite to eat today and it's nearly 1pm. I feel like I'm going to throw up when I try to look at food. I'm so stupid that I even forgot that it's my 14th wedding anniversary today. That's how consumed I am with trying to be healthy and depressed I am right now. Could I possibly be a bigger idiot?[/quote']

We are surgery day twins, as I was sleeved the same day. I lost a lot the first week, then also noyhing for the next couple of weeks. I didn't get it either. How was that possible at 600 cals a day?!!! I was on the scale at least twice a day. Finally, the scale started to slooowly move again. I firmly believe that if we keep at it, with this diet/lifestyle, one year from now we will be looking good. The key is not to compare ourselves to other people. Common...lets do this together...call your doc and reschedule your appointment. You are not alone!!!!!

You aren't alone. We're all in this together!!!!!!

Welcome to my world