Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lordy, 4Days Post-Op & My Tummy Is A Beast!

It finally woke up I guess. I've been very nervous about drinking & haven't been meeting my 64oz requirement, but today my tummy is having none of that. I guess I need to get over my insecurities & start counting my Proteins & beverages. Any experience, strength, & hope? I've just been scared.

I too am 4 days post op I don't think I get exactly 64 oz of liquids in but I'm trying my hardest. It really makes a big difference on how you feel the more you drink. I feel great today and I'm making sure I'm sipping a lot

It should get easier every every day, so give yourself time. I had surgery 8/1, and swallowing anything hurt like crazy until yesterday. Today is the first day I will meet my liquid and Protein requirements since surgery.

Once I started writing everything down I could see what I needed to work on and where I was lacking. Having log keeps me motivated and also helps me see the progression of my tummy healing.

Good luck with your sipping!

Not to be a total downer, but you need to keep on the programs set by your doctor. Getting enough liquids is one of the keys to a healthy recovery.

It is not that hard to get down Water, tea, juice, something, anything. Remember you have a tough road ahead - a road with a million great benefits - but it is not easy. Keeping up with all of your new responsibilities is not always going to be without effort. But drinking is one of the easiest. And one of the most critical. So give it your all. Remember you have started a journey to a new you. That journey is not always going to be downhill or go as planned. But working hard to meet a few dietary goals is critical to your success and to your health. The less you consume, the more critical liquids become.

At first I was having to work to hit 64 ounces, now I do not even track it as I regularly hit over 100 and sometimes way more than that. Find something you enjoy - that will make it easier. My wife found some margarita flavored Crystal Light. Very dumb, but it was kinda fun.

Good luck, now get to drinking!!!

PS- maybe being 100% Irish makes it easier for me(LOL).

Get yourself a good diet tracking journal (I use Diet Minder, and love it), and use it religiously!! Not only can you use it to know how you're doing, you can use it to plan ahead (I plan my days food and drink the evening before, that way I know I'll get enough of everything before the morning even starts...no guess work...I just follow the plan for the day). Best of luck!

I couldn't get all my liquids in either! But the dr sad continue to sip. Once my stomach senates I could drink more. Today is post op day 6 and I took in 3 Protein Shakes and 10 ounces of water!! Every day gets better!

Hi Slenderella,

I keep hearing how painful it is to swallow, but I'm curious. What does it feel like and where do you feel the pain, in your throat or stomach area? I'm glad you are doing better. Please continue to let us know how you are doing.

My throat hurt so bad after surgery, it was like I had no saliva in my mouth and it didnt matter how much I sipped or chewed on ice. Swallowing sand paper.

I also had my surgery 8/1 and my throat has felt fine the last two days.

Hi Slenderella,

I keep hearing how painful it is to swallow, but I'm curious. What does it feel like and where do you feel the pain, in your throat or stomach area? I'm glad you are doing better. Please continue to let us know how you are doing.

Hi Seelessofme!

I had a lot of gas in my tummy the first two days, so when I would put anything in my tummy it cause a lot of pain as the gas made room for the liquid. I also had a hernia repair, so that may have contributed to the pain in my lower esophagus when liquids went down. I started taking tiny, tiny sips and that helped...the bigger the sip the more it hurt. My throat didn't bother me, it was lower.

Im doing fantastic now, PTL! pills are the only thing that give me problems, but I expect that to get better too.

Slenderella! I still am having trouble understanding what my stomach needs. It gurgles, rumbles and talks allllll day. It almost feels like a hunger pain so I take a sip. I have not once felt full, I feel opposed to eating/drinking. Like nothing I am allowed to have sounds appealing. I feel fine about my Water intake, but really skeptical on my full liquids. I am not getting enough Protein in a day.

Whoops, you did not say that.. I got carried away

Hannah, once I started trying to get my Protein in the tummy noises calmed down a lot. Now I can sense when I need to put something other that Water in my tummy, like SF Jello, SF Popsicles, Protein Drink with ice, or broth. I agree, nothing I can have seems appetizing, but the rules are the rules, so I'm determined not to play that mind game. Even though they may not sound appetizing, they are the only options i have, and they often taste good once I try them. Try different flavors of broth-I found vegetable and turkey are my favorite.

Maybe you need a trip to the store to find something that is more appealing? Remember, this is short-term, and our bodies must have Protein to heal properly. You can do this, I know you can!

Hannah, how are you feeling today?

Better, I was able to choke down more of a Protein Shake then before. My stomach also started to calm down since I have been taking a Fiber supplement.. the pain medicine was giving me some trouble. Not to be gross or anything. But I actually am feeling pretty good. I am looking forward to Wednesday so I can weigh myself and see how I am doing. I feel a difference. have you weighed your self?

Yay, yay, YAYYY!! That's awesome, I'm so happy to hear that. Isn't it amazing the difference a day makes?

I struggled today to meet my goals, I'm going to make it, but it's been a dang battle all day long. I'm under a tremendous amount of stress right now, and I think I'm falling back on my old ways of not being able to eat when I'm stressed. I guess it works both ways, and now I will have to fight not to let that habit get in the way of meeting my goals. Ughhh! And here I thought I was only going to have to worry about emotional eating. :/

Have I weighed yet?!?!? LOL!! Honey, I only weight twice a day. I will stop that as soon as I hit my first stall, but right now it's just too much fun jumping on the scale and seeing the numbers pop up. So far I've lost 6lbs since surgery, 16 since I started my liquid diet. Are you only weighing once a week? You have some determination, because I don't think I could wait that long.