Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Guidance Please 5 Days Post Op

Need some words of wisdom. I was sleeved on July 31. They also repaired a hernia at that time. Still pretty sore but my biggest issue is that I feel soooooo HUNGRY!!!!! Help!

How is your Protein intake? That will help keeping you full longer. I felt that way too during the first few weeks after surgery but mine was mostly head hunger.

The "hunger" you're feeling may, in fact, be acid reflux. If you're not taking anything for acid, call your surgeon, and ask about getting some liquid Zantac, or something similar. Many people (on this site) post issues with "hunger" that turn out to really be acid. Best of luck to you!

I was going to mention the acid too...it's strange but it can seem exactly like hunger pains! Also, once you get on more solid foods you will probably feel the restriction and not so much hunger. Keep pluggin along...this is the hardest part!

I agree about the acid! I started a PPI my first day home. My surgeon prescribed me a generic for Protonix. It's a tablet, but it's tiny and I had no problems getting it down.

Since you're on clear liquids: Drink! Drink! Drink! Sip as often as you can. If you're tired of sipping liquids, try a sugar free popsicle or sugar free Jello, but have them in moderation.

I agree with all of the acid comments. Isopure can be nasty (especially the white bit of whey it can leave on your tongue) but I just decided that not everything was going to be delightful and I would just have to drink it and get through it. I've actually come to not mind it at all and am still drinking one a day for the Protein and liquid benefit. I find it easier to "enjoy" if its super cold and will sometimes chase a sip with a sip of Water. The protein is great to aid your healing and the hunger feeling... Good luck enjoy your weekend :)

I was sleeved on Aug. 1. sugar free popsicles have been a life saver for me. Also different flavored caffeine free tea has helped. I bought several boxes of flavored tea bags. I was never really a hot tea drinker, but I find that these have helped a lot. I sip a warm cup. I am on Clear Liquids for the first week.

Good luck!

I was sleeved on Thursday and just now really starting to work on liquids. I tried a clear Protein Drink that comes in a tube like Crystal light but it is not good. I added more Water and half a tube of Crystal Light and it is in the fridge getting super cold. I had a small pre-made Jello at lunchtime, been sipping cold green tea all day, Just now I had a Popsicle. I have been going to the bathroom a lot so I feel like I am doing OK. I do not see how I will get in 64 oz. today, but I am working on it.