Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone From Buffalo, Ny Out There?

Hi! I am just starting the process at Synergy and need any suggestions for psych eval outside of their office who take independent health , $150 was too much to spend with Anne Marie. Love this board , it's so helpful and encouraging!

I'm also going to Synergy, I decided to suck it up and pay for the eval with Anne Marie since she is right there at the center. My appointment is in 2 weeks.

I will voice my personal opinion on these evaluations however. I get the impression that a lot of her focus is on eating disorders, and that her assumption is that everyone who is overweight has an eating disorder, is depressed, or has some other psychological factor that contributes to being overweight. I for one, am not comfortable with the fact that a healthy, thin person who has never struggled with their weight, has to "evaluate" me and ultimately decide my fate. The paperwork asks a lot of questions regarding mental issues - thoughts of suicide, factors of stress eating, etc. I'm sure that some people do have psychological factors that attribute to their obesity, but a lot of us do not. Genetics, upbringing, medical issues, family budget, poor nutritional knowledge (leading to poor choices) - these all are other major contributing factors of obesity that don't seem to be of importance in this "evaluation." Maybe these issues will be discussed at the time of appointment, who knows. But they sure aren't addressed in the paperwork so far.

All bariatric centers require this evaluation, to make sure a person is ready for such a big change. I get that, ok. But give me someone who has been there in this life struggle - someone who has experienced what it's like to be overweight their entire life - let them be the one to evaluate me and not some physically fit head shrink who (to me) has seemingly never struggled with a food budget and who believes we became fat because we are mental... kind of like a drug addict being counseled by someone who never got high in their life.

Again, just my own two cents.

PS: I believe the psych at ECMC takes Independent Health (I have that too), but I refuse to step foot into that dump.

I think the evals are also to determine your frame of mind. It is a tool to help us not the cure is what I think they want to hear.

One person I know who already went through the eval said "I think they just wanna make sure they are not helping you kill yourself if you're suicidal by giving you surgery so you can starve to death".... haha, yeah that's a good point, so they can't get sued after ;)

They are there to see if you have food addictions and if you do, to help you before and after you have surgery. When I had my eval, there were a lot of questions about depression, alcohol abuse, drug abuse (which all tend to be associated with addictive personality). I think if they find you have an addiction, they want to be able to help you not to fail if you have the surgery. And to make sure you are capable of making that type of decision.

I have also heard from multiple people including one of the NPs at Buffalo General that after you have surgery if you have a food addiction, people tend to "shift" their addictions to something new, whether it be alcohol, drugs, etc.

I agree though, it would be nice to have a psychologist that has some personal experience with the situation. I went to Colleen Edwards in Elma, Ny. I have a history of depression and drug abuse when I was younger, she recommended counseling, but she said that she recommends counseling to everyone. I don't know what kinds of insurance she takes, but I have united healthcare.

My Psychologist I had was awesome and shared he too had the surgery few years ago so I was able to ask questions as well.

My Psychologist I had was awesome and shared he too had the surgery few years ago so I was able to ask questions as well.

Where did u go and who did you see? I see someone and have for over a year...not faithfully like I should...she specializes in eating disorders...I'm going to see her in 2 weeks to tell her I've made the decision to do the sleeve...

Just starting my journey to a new me! sent from my iPad

Lol I have to throw in my 2 cents as well. I could not believe the kind of questions that they ask on the 300 something questionaire! Some were very irrelevant to one's life. I can understand why the evals are needed but its such a loophole to become healthy again.

Where did u go and who did you see? I see someone and have for over a year...not faithfully like I should...she specializes in eating disorders...I'm going to see her in 2 weeks to tell her I've made the decision to do the sleeve...

Just starting my journey to a new me! sent from my iPad

I cannot remember his name only he is through Dr. Phams office they have two. I liked him a lot and yes we did go through a million questions. I worked in mental health 12 years ago so I found it weird like I knew where it was leading.

I understand the point of the eval but also agree that the questionare was obnoxious!! I didn't see Ann Marie for my psych eval but a doctor close to me. You still have to meet 1:1 with her and do a follow up but never did she try to blame depression or an eating disorder. She actually pointed out where it came from that I never thought of before. She's very nice. Just sometimes there's that weird silence and you wonder if you are supposed to say something more or if you haven't said enough. I really do like her though. And even though the psych eval sucks, it's a step closer to your new future.

I understand the point of the eval but also agree that the questionare was obnoxious!! I didn't see Ann Marie for my psych eval but a doctor close to me. You still have to meet 1:1 with her and do a follow up but never did she try to blame depression or an eating disorder. She actually pointed out where it came from that I never thought of before. She's very nice. Just sometimes there's that weird silence and you wonder if you are supposed to say something more or if you haven't said enough. I really do like her though. And even though the psych eval sucks' date=' it's a step closer to your new future.[/quote']

You were required to still meet with ann marie even though you saw someone else? I didn't need to. BTW you're having a nice storm in Olean! I'm here visiting my in-laws lol.

Another NSV for me. I sang with my workshop choir again, in concert yesterday for the first time in four years! It felt so good!!! I'm still trying to get use to people not recognizing me, lol!!! I guess that's a good thing.

I heard rumbling... Not rain I don't think!! I didn't do the three nut classes, instead I did a 1:1 and an over the phone follow up. Anything that saves on gas

I heard rumbling... Not rain I don't think!! I didn't do the three nut classes' date=' instead I did a 1:1 and an over the phone follow up. Anything that saves on gas[/quote']

Oh I see. Ok that makes sense. I was actually up in Olean yesterday during all of those storms. Quite a show!

Did they weigh you in the day of surgery? I haven't bought a scale and don't really want to!! I'm finishing day 3 of me pre op diet, I cannot wait for it to be over!