Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone From Buffalo, Ny Out There?

A couple days ago I told my mom and two aunts about my decision to have the WLS.

My one aunt is ok with the idea, but pushing me to the band (I don't want that) because she thinks it's "safer". I have not heard from the other aunt, but I'm guessing she is against it. My mom, on the other hand, has shot down the idea hard and wants to know why I want to "risk my life" for this drastic procedure, and that I don't need it if I only "put good food in my mouth".... THAT, coming from a wheelchair bound 400+ pound woman who has been obese most of her life, struggling with compulsive eating disorders herself. :( In fact, all the women on my mom's side have been heavy, riding the non-stop diet wheel most of their lives.

I have people who depend on me, I refuse to be in a wheelchair myself by the time I'm 50, I want to be comfortable again and gain quality of life back for as long as I have left on this earth. I've tried hard my whole life to keep the weight off, it goes then comes right back again. I'm trying hard now and it just doesn't work anymore. The most discouraging thing is that I'm eating way better and around half the volume of what I was over a month ago and I haven't lost a freaking ounce.

For the first time since I've started pursuing this surgery I have an inkling of doubt about it. Will this even work for me, is what I think. I should have never mentioned anything to anyone. :wacko:

I'm hoping my fellow Buffalonians here who have gone through with it already can give me a little push back in the right direction... ugh

Queencity I was Sleeved July 11 it is not that risky. You will be fine and healthy. Once it is over your family will see you have made the right choice for you. My family was concerned yet supported my decision. Hang in there here for you. Since you are in Buffalo should I meet your family?

A couple days ago I told my mom and two aunts about my decision to have the WLS.

My one aunt is ok with the idea' date=' but pushing me to the band (I don't want that) because she thinks it's "safer". I have not heard from the other aunt, but I'm guessing she is against it. My mom, on the other hand, has shot down the idea hard and wants to know why I want to "risk my life" for this drastic procedure, and that I don't need it if I only "put good food in my mouth".... THAT, coming from a wheelchair bound 400+ pound woman who has been obese most of her life, struggling with compulsive eating disorders herself. :( In fact, all the women on my mom's side have been heavy, riding the non-stop diet wheel most of their lives.

I have people who depend on me, I refuse to be in a wheelchair myself by the time I'm 50, I want to be comfortable again and gain quality of life back for as long as I have left on this earth. I've tried hard my whole life to keep the weight off, it goes then comes right back again. I'm trying hard now and it just doesn't work anymore. The most discouraging thing is that I'm eating way better and around half the volume of what I was over a month ago and I haven't lost a freaking ounce.

For the first time since I've started pursuing this surgery I have an inkling of doubt about it. Will this even work for me, is what I think. I should have never mentioned anything to anyone. :wacko:

I'm hoping my fellow Buffalonians here who have gone through with it already can give me a little push back in the right direction... ugh[/quote']

I will tell you that since being sleeved I've already begun to see a difference in how I feel. My clothes are looser and I felt good taking a walk with my kids the other day. Before the surgery I did not have any interest in going for a walk and felt so uncomfortable. I will admit that I am going crazy as my hubby is currently out in the kitchen making sugar Cookies but its more emotional that I want to taste them and not real hunger. (Damn him) lol. I suggest you do a lot of research on it and you'll see that the benefits outweigh the risks. I googled and learned so much. You'll be fine just keep faith. :)

My one aunt is ok with the idea' date=' but pushing me to the band (I don't want that) because she thinks it's "safer". I have not heard from the other aunt, but I'm guessing she is against it. My mom, on the other hand, has shot down the idea hard and wants to know why I want to "risk my life" for this drastic procedure, and that I don't need it if I only "put good food in my mouth".... THAT, coming from a wheelchair bound 400+ pound woman who has been obese most of her life, struggling with compulsive eating disorders herself. :( In fact, all the women on my mom's side have been heavy, riding the non-stop diet wheel most of their lives.

I'm hoping my fellow Buffalonians here who have gone through with it already can give me a little push back in the right direction... ugh[/quote']

My husband was against the idea at first when I had first told him about it. I urged him to research it and once he did, he came around. Now we both agree that it has been the right decision. Let them get used to the idea and hopefully they will come around. If you feel this is the right decision for you, then do it for you!

I was sleeved on June 26 and I have lost 26lbs so far. I'm not going to tell you that it has been easy, because it hasn't. The sleeve is just a tool to help you along the way, you still have to work for it. It's a lot of work and definitely life changing, but has been so worth it so far. When I was still preop, I had ppl say things to me that made me second guess my decision, but in the end you just have to follow your instincts. Good luck :)

Never take advice from someone who isn't where you want to be!

Don't let anyone get you down. I have told only people that I'm close with. And very close family members. Shockingly the only person that shot me down was my best friend which is a big girl. She put me into tears. It really broke my heart. My husband isn't thrilled about it but was better once I said it was doctor recommended and pointed out all of the positives. I'm looking forward to the change and getting my life back. There finally comes that time when you are ready to put yourself first, and this is it!!

Never take advice from someone who isn't where you want to be!

This is a wonderful statement. SO very true. THANK YOU.

And thanks to the rest for chiming in, I really do appreciate that. I'm out of my small funk now and psyched once again to be going to week #2 of the seminar at Synergy tonight. One more week of that, a shrink eval and then insurance submission. Then bye-bye you evil stomach!! Yessss.

It's unfortunate that sometimes the people who you want to (and think will) stand by you and support you the most in a difficult time, are the ones who turn their back on you. In the past it's only made me a stronger person, lesson learned. Who needs them now?! Let them snub their nose but while they still can't bend over to cut their own toenails, I will be sporting my old size 10 leopard mini skirt and looking smokin' hot again :D (well... ok I can at least dream about that and hope it may come true, right??) haha

It will. You go girl. Last night I did well at Ruby Tuesday shocked my family. I am down 38 lbs! I ordered the tilapia baked for sides zucchini and salad. At the salad bar took very little salad more like a taste, ham chunks and a taste of waldorf salad. I ate 3 bites of the fish and brou home leftovers.

My journey began July 11

QueenCityGal,

Dream all you want, it is possible.

I was sleeved a year ago and my mom was "ok" with it although I knew she was worried but didn't want to meddle. She said she did not want to visit me in the hospital because she didn't want to see me wrapped in cords and cables from the machines. She ended up watching my kids while I was in surgery and my kids wanted to see me so she brought them to the hospital. When she arrived I was being wheeled into my room and as soon as I got in, I stood up and walked to the bathroom. She was so shocked to see I was ok and able to do things for myself so soon after that she knew I was going to be ok.

I guess sometimes our family wants the best for us but are afraid to let us seek our happiness even if it may seem a little frightful. It's been all positive for me. I still have about 30 lbs to go, I'm doing good and feeling great. To make you smile, I went to her house shortly after I went back to work. My dress pants were somewhat baggy, but I didn't want to buy new pants as I was in that rapid weight loss stage. She yelled at me and said if you are losing weight, you need to show it off don't hide behind those baggy clothes. I was so surprised.

your family will come around when they see the wonderful benefits. Because of the surgery, I am no longer diabetic, have high cholesterol or high blood pressure. So where my weight loss is lower, my metabolic disease is close to non-existent after this next blood draw. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using VST

Since I was sleeved on 8/5 I have lost 24 lbs. And my bp has gotten much lower. I may be able to get off my Water pill as early as next week! I'm feeling better too and have been walking almost every day.

Since I was sleeved on 8/5 I have lost 24 lbs. And my bp has gotten much lower. I may be able to get off my Water pill as early as next week! I'm feeling better too and have been walking almost every day.

Woo Hoo! Catching up to me Dawn. It is me Jill.

Lol I'm getting addicted to wanting to walk everyday and except for yesterday I haven't been taking any naps. Today I went out to garden although my tummy was alittle sore afterwards. I'm glad to hear your dinner went well.

Lol I'm getting addicted to wanting to walk everyday and except for yesterday I haven't been taking any naps. Today I went out to garden although my tummy was alittle sore afterwards. I'm glad to hear your dinner went well.

Thanks.

Jill/Dawn great to hear you guys are doing great. Some good weight loss there! Awesome. Jill you are able to eat regular solid foods so soon? Or is that a normal time frame?

Hey in case anyone is interested, Wegmans has "New Whey" liquid Protein vials on sale for $1.99 this week (that's a great price). Granted there is some collagen mixed in there, but even so it says its "a complete source of Protein containing all essential amino acids" - how true this is, well it's hard to tell and may be not good for 100% protein supplementation post-op, but in a pinch these are very portable and potent. I got a bunch just to have around and supplement my diet now pre-op. The watermelon flavor is quite palatable. Just thought I'd share this :)

Hey do any of you guys want to move over to the Buffalo group and continue topics there? Instead of making this thread so long?

Anyone, feel free to join! http://www.verticals...stern-new-york/

Jill/Dawn great to hear you guys are doing great. Some good weight loss there! Awesome. Jill you are able to eat regular solid foods so soon? Or is that a normal time frame?

Hey in case anyone is interested' date=' Wegmans has "New Whey" liquid Protein vials on sale for 1.99 this week (that's a great price). Granted there is some collagen mixed in there, but even so it says its "a complete source of Protein containing all essential amino acids" - how true this is, well it's hard to tell and may be not good for 100% protein supplementation post-op, but in a pinch these are very portable and potent. I got a bunch just to have around and supplement my diet now pre-op. The watermelon flavor is quite palatable. Just thought I'd share this :)

Hey do any of you guys want to move over to the Buffalo group and continue topics there? Instead of making this thread so long?

Anyone, feel free to join! http://www.verticals...stern-new-york/

Thanks I actually just lost 5 more lbs.! I've also been trying more solid food as per Dr. Caruana's instructions. I've started eating tuna with a little mayo, chicken out of the can, the nectar drinks (found a great website for yummy recipes). Were actually allowed to try things as we progress based on our comfort level. They don't have any strict guidelines as to what to eat week to week. I will try going to that new Buffalo website. Thats a good idea. :)