Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What I Ate On Vacation (Sleeved July 2Nd)

I am just back from a day night date with my hubby!! We went to Fredricksburg, TX for some fun, relaxation, shopping and FOOD! I was really worried how this was going to go....

First day there - we went to Mamacita's for lunch. He ordered the crispy taco plate and been and cheese nachos. I ate one taco (shredded beef and cheese with hotsauce) and half of a nacho! It was wonderful, tasty and I was stuffed! He ate the rest plus 2 beers and several beautiful home made tortillas!!

For dinner - we went to a great German restaruant - and he had the Schnitzel Kase, and I was dismayed to see very little I could eat. I settle on the Klopse meat balls (beef and pork) and of course it came with a huge pile of buttered noodles and saurkraut. The meat balls were in a caper dill sauce - and there were 2 about 3 oz each - so I plopped the other on his plate and set in. Big problem - the meat ball had a lot of bread filling in it. I ate about 3/4 of it - and could feel it EXPAND in my belly. Luckily, we did a lot of walking afterwards, and 30 min. after - I started back with my Water - so no pain!

We slept in the next day, so hit town about 11. He had a hpme made burger plate - I had half an order of quiche Lorraine - yum! Dinner that night was another German place - he had schnitzel, I had an appetizer called German Rueben rolls. Basically, 2 egg rolls made with corned beef, swiss cheese and saurkraut - with thousand island dipping sause! I ate almost all of it - super good!

We did buy some Amish cheese we snacked on in our B&B that night, and I feel like I really didn't miss out on the food end....and don't feel bad about myself. I know I probably didn't hit my 60g of Protein, but I will be back on track tomorrow and have fish and shrimp thawing in my sink!

I was really worried about the "enjoying" food aspect after this surgery. I have to pay more attention, but do not feel deprived at all. I am so thankful!!!!

Thank you so much for explaining all that! A few times today I had those fleeting thoughts of- just how different I'll feel with eating out and being deprived of favorites.

So it was just the right timing.

P.S, Were you just being a goofball (As I tend to do in pics.) or its there a story behind your picture? Love it. :P

ETA- Duhyyyyii, you're covering your mouth to not eat...I'm so thick sometimes...hahaha.

You are only 4 weeks post-op and are already able to eat all that? Wow! What was your post-op diet like?

Oh thank you thank you thank you! You give me hope for what life will be like after surgery with regards to food. I so needed to read something like this right about now.

OMG... We were sleeved on the same day m I can't eat any of that stuff!!! I get completely full off a coupla saltine crackers... My doctor would probably have me committed if I ate any of that - it's amazing how different surgeons are!! No pain huh ?? That's UNBELIEVABLE!!

I'm not sure this is really a good thing. :(

I assumed you're pretty far out- didn't look up your date.

I'm just going to say this because of a couple comments here. I called my Dr. because I ate a whole scrambled egg which went down really easy (at 2 weeks). Turned out my program didn't consider that pureed when other people's did. Mine considers it "soft food." Everyone is different. She said (the NP) even though it went down fine doesn't mean I'm allowed to have it. So pain or not isn't what should dictate diet. That book or instructions you get from your program should.

Not judging you at all--- but saying it for new people reading. :)

Not sleeved yet. But I am hoping I don't eat that much at 4 weeks out. I would be afraid to be eating as pre op before I knew it.

Everyone heals differently.

Good for you! I think if she was cleared for full diet she did pretty good. A taco, meatball, egg roll and quiche. At a month out I know for certain I had meatballs and quiche. We all know our docs and NUTs have different progressions. If I wasn't at full foods by week 6, I was expected to contact my NUT or doc to figure out why I was having issues.

I was eating like nothing happened by week 2. I felt almost like i hadn't had the surgery. I just can't eat near as much! I am so thirsty all the time too! I drink a lot and seek out fruit, especially watermelon. I never ate watermelon before this. I don't eat sugars because they make me sick. Also, i go out with my family to eat and take food from their plate. Or i have 4 chicken nuggets at mcdonalds or a soft taco with no lettuce at taco bell. I haven't had soda or caffeine since my surgery either. I miss it :(

I have thick skin - so what some people may consider "negative" comments don't bother me ;)

If you look at what I actually consumed in the 2 days there, it isn't bad...

I DESCRIBED alot of food, but what went into my mouth was:

ONE crispy corn taco with about an ounce of finely ground (not greasy) beef and an ounce of shredded cheese and one bite of a bean and cheese nacho.

ONE meatball (2-3 oz) that unfortunately had some bread mixed into it (I did not eat ANY of the noodles or saurkraut)

About 3 oz of Quiche made from eggs, cheese, spinach, carrots and Tomato - none of the crust

1 and a half of the egg roll ruebens that equaled about 3-4 oz.

I drank lots of Water.

I walk A LOT!

I lost 2 pounds.

The point of my post was to show actual, real food I had to make decisions about - and I am happy with.

My surgery date was July 2nd - I am free and clear on my diet. I have not thrown up once, had any nausea after the 3rd day post - op, and have healed wonderfully.

I have had zero pain - but can feel a cramping like sensation when I am full.

I am extremely thankful for this board, and I welcome any/all questions. It has been a life saver for me - literally! I would not have had the surgery without it.

:)

Not sleeved yet. But I am hoping I don't eat that much at 4 weeks out. I would be afraid to be eating as pre op before I knew it.

My normal days are different...this was my vacation with my husband. Today I had a scrambled egg for Breakfast, 3 oz of boiled shrimp for lunch and half of a chicken burger patty (ground chicken breast and seasonings I made myself!) with a tablespoon of guacamole.

Most days I eat some form of fish.....I try to get my 60-70g of Protein a day. What do you see a normal day for you after surgery?

I'm not sure this is really a good thing. :(

Please read my other responses/ rest of this post + then tell me why this wasn't a good thing?

Hi Shannon, I will be going on a cruise 2.5 months out of surgery. I have been nervous about all the food that I will have access to. I am glad to hear you enjoyed yourself and at the end of the day that is all that matters (unless you hurt yourself I guess ). I plan on doing the same because I only vacation once a year and I'm just going to enjoy myself. I have learned that I cannot over do it because my sleeve won't let me. Best of luck to you! & good for you!!