Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Ball Of Emotions- 3 Days Until Surgery Day!

Hello everyone!

I came on here to get feedback on what to do before surgery and what to do after surgery. My surgery is only 3 days away! I am excited, scared, nervous, happy. It's like a rollercoaster! Lol! I've been heavy my whole life, so it's crazy to think of every door that will be opening for me!

Being that I have always been heavy I never realized what I really looked like when I would gain a few pounds. Then people would take pictures and I would be like "that's not what I look like, something has to be wrong there!" All of my clothes start to slowly get bigger sizes and before you know it, my bum was getting too large to sit on theme park rides. :( I feel winded and exhausted when I go somewhere for a day with my husband. I'm only 25 and I have no energy!! That's pretty bad!

I am overly ecstatic for my surgery, for the sleeve on 08/07! I feel that I have tried to prepare myself as much as I can, but any feedback for what I can expect would be much appreciated! ;)

Hi there and welcome to VST. You've found a wonderful place for support. I had surgery 8 weeks & 4 days ago and can't be happier. I started at 304 and am now down 46 pounds. Prior to surgery, my whole body hurt all the time and I had zero energy. I'm still way overweight but it is amazing what losing 46 pounds has done for me. I only have aches and pains occasionally and they aren't near as bad. My energy level and overall stamina is way up too. I think you've made a great decision to be sleeved and you will feel amazing once you heal from the surgery. I had lots of postop pain issues but others had no issues at all. It's hard to say what your experience will be. However, even with all the pain I would go through it again in a heartbeat!

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. Good luck to you in your journey!

Well, you seem to have done what you can to prepare, my advice for post op is this. Move as much as you can. Get out of bed as soon as you can on day of surgery and go walk the hall of the hospital. Try doing this at least 2 or 3 times on day 1. Same on day 2. You will be sore and groggy, and may have some gas pain that will all be made worse if you just lay in bed. Getting up and moving will help.

Get a 20 oz Water bottle and make it your best friend. I had horrible cotton mouth for the first 2 weeks. Learn to have your water bottle close so you don't get dehydrated.

When you get home, follow your post op diet. Yes, the liquid diet sucks, and yes, the full liquid diet isn't much better (however, strained low fat cream of chicken and strained low fat cream of potato Soup were like heaven after liquid diet stage) but once you get to the soft food stage, life is good.

Find new healthy recipes to introduce new things. You don't want to just eat smaller portions of the same crap that made us big. If you haven't heard yet, www.Emilybites.com or the world according to egg face, or bariatric foodie are the sources for healthy food that is was friendly AND doesnt SUCK! my kids ask for Emilybites dinners.

Also, if you have a support group in your area, I suggest going at least 2 times, it's nice to SEE people in their different stages.

Good luck

Good luck

Thank you so much for all the advice! ;-) I hope the same for you with your endeavor as well! It's gonna be an incredible journey! ;-)

My surgery is 8/7 too! I'm surprisingly calm and "zen" about it. I'm going to keep positive, do everything they tell me to do, and clean my house really well :)

I keep remembering what the psychologist said about my after-surgery life, and she's a European trained pastry chef. Savor good food in small bites and portions--smell the food, really look at it, chew it well and eat slowly--you will be eating like you are French! I can buy the very best quality, healthy foods because the quantity will be SO much less. I am SO excited and ready for my post-surgery life!

Please let me know if you need anything!

That's such a great way to look at it!! ;-) I can't wait to eat like the French! ;-) I am very excited about it! I wish you all the luck as well! ;-) Cannot wait to hear more about how you are progress!

Oh yeah, another cool benefit is that we were spending about $220 every 2 weeks for groceries for my family of 5, after my surgery we now spend right about $300 a month. Nice side affect!

Hi! I also have my surg aug 7! I knw what you mean about how u feel. Im the same way. Where are u having yours done? Im in tx. Lets keep in touch n help each other out. Have u bought what ur gana drink aftr the surg? What is ur diet gana be like aftr surg?