Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm No Longer Banded!

My band came out this morning. It was fairly easy as much as surgery can be easy. Surgery at 9:30 am, on my way home at 2 pm. No pain meds needed at all, even immediately post-op. Moving a bit slow, especially sitting down/getting up, but this has been WAY easier than getting banded.

There was a fair amount of scar tissue that my surgeon removed. The band had also pulled my fundus (left portion of the stomach) up through my diaphragm, causing some misshaping that needs time to heal.

My surgeon still wants to wait four or so months to revise to the sleeve. I know it's for the best, and I'm fine with waiting, although I of course would like to get started sooner. But waiting is the best way to reduce complications, and I just need to remember that this is for the REST of my life, which means four months are just a blip on the radar. I could possibly get sleeved around my three year bandiversary, which would be late November.

On bland mushies today and back to a normal diet tomorrow.

I still can't believe I am band-less!

Wow! Congratulations on a smooth surgery. Sounds like you have a great frame of mind. Just curious, did you know going in that you wouldn't be getting the sleeve? Was your procedure scheduled strictly for band removal? I am going in this Monday for a band to sleeve revision and I am not sure how I would feel if I came out of surgery to find out that they were not able to sleeve me. But I definitely understand that it could happen.

I hope you continue to feel better and I am so looking forward to having the band out of me and moving forward with life.

If you guys dont mind me asking did your insurance give u a problem? and did they consider your band removal another weight loss surgey ? I go to see my doctor on friday to see about band removal and get the sleeve .

If you guys dont mind me asking did your insurance give u a problem? and did they consider your band removal another weight loss surgey ? I go to see my doctor on friday to see about band removal and get the sleeve .

The way my approval letter was written was super odd. It basically stated that the band removal was not considered "necessary" and therefore not approved. However, in typical insurance double talk, it stated that the weight loss procedure I was approved for (sleeve) would require the removal of the band as part of the procedure. BUT that it would be a matter of coding to ensure that the band removal gets covered which won't be determined until after my surgery. Fortunately, my doctors office has done these revisions before and will submit whatever it is that needs to be submitted to ensure that I'm covered.

I guess I will find out after all is said and done in TWO more days!!!

I was self-pay for both my band (which I feel was $10K-plus wasted) and my sleeve revision.

I was self-pay for both my band (which I feel was $10K-plus wasted) and my sleeve revision.

For me, at the time, the band just seemed the most logical choice. There was something about having my insides rerouted that terrified me. And still does. Why it is that the idea of having a huge percentage of my stomach removed doesn't unnerve me the same is beyond me. But for whatever reason, the sleeve just seems the better choice. I was fortunate that my insurance covered the band but I understand what you mean about feeling that it was money wasted. It was a procedure that I certainly would have preferred avoiding. I am struggling with the fear that the sleeve will also end up being something that I wish I hadn't done...but after Monday, there will be no turning back.

Why it is that the idea of having a huge percentage of my stomach removed doesn't unnerve me the same is beyond me.

This is just a shot in the dark. But I think it mammy be because subconsciously we know that the only reason that our stomachs are as big as they are/were is because of our lack of control. Therefore It becomes much easier to rationalize correcting a problem that was in reality our own making.

My band came out this morning. It was fairly easy as much as surgery can be easy. Surgery at 9:30 am, on my way home at 2 pm. No pain meds needed at all, even immediately post-op. Moving a bit slow, especially sitting down/getting up, but this has been WAY easier than getting banded.

There was a fair amount of scar tissue that my surgeon removed. The band had also pulled my fundus (left portion of the stomach) up through my diaphragm, causing some misshaping that needs time to heal.

My surgeon still wants to wait four or so months to revise to the sleeve. I know it's for the best, and I'm fine with waiting, although I of course would like to get started sooner. But waiting is the best way to reduce complications, and I just need to remember that this is for the REST of my life, which means four months are just a blip on the radar. I could possibly get sleeved around my three year bandiversary, which would be late November.

Congratulations on getting the band removed!! And I am glad the procedure went smoothly for you. I am getting my band removed on Monday and having my Gastric Sleeve done on Oct.1st. I wish I could have it done all in one surgery, however, my surgeon (Dr. Aaron Hoffman) feels its best to wait at least 8 weeks to give my stomach time to heal. I wish you the best on your recovery.

I knew going in that I would not get the sleeve. My doc could tell from the upper gi that the band was too messed up to do it in one surgery.

My insurance doesn't cover bariatric, so I have been self-pay the whole way. $11,000 for the band, $5200 to have it out, and it will be $15,000 for the sleeve. Hence the reason DH and I are both driving cars with 100,000 miles on them!

Congrats on having your band removed and being on your way to the sleeve!

Wow, you guys are lucky.. I'm having my band removed this Tuesday an mostlikly dr won't be able to do sleeve due to scar tissue... I've had my band for 7 years.. Good luck to u

Get a taste of everything you can't have post sleeve.. lol.

Or just do it for me ;) It's so hard to watch ppl eat salad right now and soda.. blahhh lol.

I"m happy to hear everything went well.. Good Luck with everything.. :) God Bless you!

For me, at the time, the band just seemed the most logical choice. There was something about having my insides rerouted that terrified me. And still does. Why it is that the idea of having a huge percentage of my stomach removed doesn't unnerve me the same is beyond me. But for whatever reason, the sleeve just seems the better choice. I was fortunate that my insurance covered the band but I understand what you mean about feeling that it was money wasted. It was a procedure that I certainly would have preferred avoiding. I am struggling with the fear that the sleeve will also end up being something that I wish I hadn't done...but after Monday, there will be no turning back.

TaiDyed, I totally understand what you mean. I was certain the band was the right choice. Everyone was pushing it and the coordinator at my doctor's office had been very successful with it. I did not want RNY and felt like the band was the least invasive. I never knew it would cause scarring and I didn't think through what it meant to have this foreign item in my body.

Of course, everyone has a different experience, but I don't think you should fear being unsuccessful with the sleeve. I was sleeved on July 9; I just weighed and am down about 30 pounds. With the band, I lost about 60 pounds over the course of my first YEAR, after which everything went downhill. You will be fine.