Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Time Drinking Alcohol Post Op

I'm 1 week postop today and had a glass of Chardonnay last***ht. It was fine didn't feel any different except drinking it so slow has to diminish the effect. I think anytime a person goes a long period without drinking it will hit them harder when they do.

I wish I had not started drinking so soon, I waited 2 months after surgery. I was a big drinker pre-op lots a beer lots and lots, I realize now that was also part of my weight problem. I've now replaced beer with wine or champagne and yes I get drunk quicker which is a problem because I then just want to continue drinking and it could totally ruin my awesome efforts a a low carb low calorie diet. It is a bit hard, having drinks is just such a big part of our lifestyles, finding harder to not drink alcohol than to have given up Soda! One peace of advise, stay away from mixed grittier drinks those are a complete sabotage to our diets

I had my first drink 3 months post-op, but the buzz lasted only about 5 minutes. When I try to drink 2 drinks I get sick - not like alcohol sick, but my stomach will hurt and I feel awful. I drink wine on occasion but honestly, the whole reason I drank alcohol pre-surgery in the first place was to get wasted. Since that's clearly not happening now, I just don't bother drinking it. :(

Have been wondering this myself so thanks everyone for all the answers!

I actually just thought of this -- I studied abroad in France for four months and while there, I saw parents (several times) pouring a bit of wine into the Water they gave to their children - a common practice in France. And wine has been said by many people to actually be good for your heart... so I'm wondering if maybe that's not a bad idea. Maybe not day one, or even week one, but adding a tiny bit of whatever type of wine you want to Water to ease back into that lifestyle for those who need it.

I'm going to try to stay away from fruity/sugary stuff myself, but I'll also be honest - I'm 24, and I'm in college still. It's just a social thing (plus I likes my wineee) but I'm going to be much smarter about it now *hugs stomach*

I am of German descent, and in my opinion, we here in America are doing a huge disservice to our children by "protecting" them from alcohol. I was given small amounts of beer in my bottle as a baby. And as I grew I was never refused alcoholic beverages, they were limited, just as any responsible parent would with sodas.

Now the argument can be made on both sides about health advantages/disadvantages. But where I saw the biggest difference was in my late teens & early twenties when all my friends were out getting sloshed, alcohol really wasn't that big of a deal to me, because I had access to it and was taught moderation with it my entire life.

I am of German descent' date=' and in my opinion, we here in America are doing a huge disservice to our children by "protecting" them from alcohol. I was given small amounts of beer in my bottle as a baby. And as I grew I was never refused alcoholic beverages, they were limited, just as any responsible parent would with sodas.

Now the argument can be made on both sides about health advantages/disadvantages. But where I saw the biggest difference was in my late teens & early twenties when all my friends were out getting sloshed, alcohol really wasn't that big of a deal to me, because I had access to it and was taught moderation with it my entire life.[/quote']

Agree with the rest of your quote but beer in your baby bottle :/ Can't agree with that one.

I definitely waited about 8 weeks before my first drink, now i can't seem to stop drinking, i need to stop bc i'm afraid of what the consequences will be later on. I have a very stressful job so at night i like a vodka and crystal light, definitely will stop from today forward. maybe i should start working out instead drinking :-)

I'm 1 week postop today and had a glass of Chardonnay last***ht. It was fine didn't feel any different except drinking it so slow has to diminish the effect. I think anytime a person goes a long period without drinking it will hit them harder when they do.

Yup !!!! Exactly

We just went to a Haloween party, I'm about 3 months post op and had a couple glasses of wine, felt about the same as pre surgery. However, found I couldn't over eat, a few appetizers and a small plate of food. Normally I'd be snacking all night.

I recently had a girls weekend. At one of the bars, I noticed they had small cups (like the ones you buy for your bathroom to rinse your mouth). I asked the bartender to use those cups instead of the larger ones. The large cup just exhausted me to look at it. To know I had THAT MUCH to drink overwhelmed me. I had about 2 1/2 of the small cups. Mostly vodka with a splash of cranberry. I got a little buzz, but not too bad. Definitely could not have eaten and drank all of that. I opted for alcohol instead of food that weekend. lol...I didn't gain any weight and wasn't yacking either, so all in all, I guess I handled it pretty well. :D

Oh my.."protecting our kids from alcohol"

Alcohol kill more people with the diseases it causes, drunk driving, fatal drunken fights, domestic violence than all drugs put together...and that's not mentioning broken homes, child abuse and permanate mental issues for children of alcholics

has anyone tried wine? and a lot of people tell me it is carbonated and I don't want to try and mess anything uplease leave answers or coments???

Jesus people you realize you are not supposed to have any alochol for like 6 months right? where the hell did you people get this done? They clearly do not have high standards if you were not informed on how long to abstain. I get not everyone will wait 6 months but some of you waited like 2 weeks...You realize you will sabotage your entire surgury by drinking right? Booze is a big reason why we were all so fat. the smallest stomach in the world will not stop you from gaining weight if you drink your calories.

Easy Andrew..... slow that roll just a bit.

It's true that alcohol is empty calories, but I think the amount and frequency is the determining factor. If one indulges in a glass or two of wine every other week, not sure that's really going to make a difference. If someone is drinking say.....every other day or a few times a week, there's probably going to be problem with extra cals. You're lumping everyone together it seems. And by the way, my Dr AND Nut said that an occasional drink after a few months will not hurt. I can't speak for others on here, but the message you and I received may certainly differ from other messages from other bariatric teams. So if someone is complying with what they were told, it's hard to throw them under the bus.....even if it differs from what you've been told.

With that said.....for those who may be alcoholics or recovering, it's probably best to not partake again.