Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone I need a personal buddy too go through this process with. I have a date for August the 21 and believe me I can't wait.

I'm sorry to hear that your insurance requires 6 month diet, that would suck so bad. My surgeon doesn't require the supervised diet because he believes that most people who seek wls do so as a last resort and they've mostly tried every single diet out there.

I also have the 6 month diet thing. I was kinda bummed at first but now i realize this is a HUGE change, and these 6 months could make or break your success.

You will learn about eating habits that will help you be successful post-op, prepare your mind, and the psych appointment will also help. In addition, execise is needed and 1 good thing is you can start tightening your skin now so that it wont end up being ultra saggy ;) Look at the bright side.

I started my 6 mo plan TODAY so maybe we can be surgery buddies!!

6 months flew by. I started researching around Christmas, had my first appointment a few months later,3 months of supervised diet, and it feels like yesterday I was just starting to research. When I was finishing up all my appointments/clearances ect I kept wanting the process to SLOW DOWN. haha felt like my head was spinning.

Good luck to you on your journey. My advice is to use the 6 months to PREPARE and RESEARCH the heck out of the surgery and the new life you will be living! :)

You also have to remember that when dealing with insurance companies, every group/employer is going to have different plans that may require something different. It is impossible for doctor offices to know what each company requires, becase if may vary from group to group.

So minky r u payin out of pocket cuz usually is the insurace not the surgeon that puts the requirement

Since my husband is in the Army I can have surgery on the Army base (MTF) and the MTF can set up it's own requirements. If I were to have my surgery done outside of the military base then I would have to do the 6 month supervised diet because Tricare is making it a requirement. Usually the process on the military base where we are stationed takes about 3 months from the time of the referral to actual surgery. I'm only 1 week into the process and tomorrow I will be attending my 4th appt. and the only thing that's not been easy is scheduling the appt with the psychiatrist, they've been horrible and saying that they will call back and not doing so. If everything goes as planned I should be done with all the appts. by early to mid Sept. I'm hoping I can have surgery in October.

Aghh.....girl I feel your pain. Whenever anyone feels me they're starting the process I always suggest they start a supervised diet just in case. A word of advice do not do or say anything to sabatoge your doctors recommendations. My doctor told me to exercise 5x a week, and on one of my visits I told him the last 2 weeks I was only able to exercise 3x a week and I got denied because of that and had to do another whole 6 month diet. Well good luck, and trust me time goes by faster that you think.

I didn't read every post, but I am going to respond to those who say "this is your responsibility", I called my insurance FIVE different times and ASKED them SPECIFICALLY if I had to do a 6 month monitored diet. I was told no all FIVE times. I went through ALL of the insurance documents provided to me and the insurance website. The insurance coordinator at the surgeon's office could not get an answer from them either. SO after HOURS of "my responsibility", I called the HR dept at hubby's work and they sent over the specifics. And there it was. It should have not taken me literally 6 hours of research to get such a basic answer.

I JUST finished my 6 month of weigh ins and my stuff was called in yesterday. I was in your shoes not to long ago. It will pass, and you can spend everyday on here learning like I did. Best of luck on your journey!

Im glad to kno im not the only one that was confused because i was feeling dumb for not askin the insurence. I had to call 3 times to be sure because at first it was yes and then it was no but in the 3rd call asked for a supervisor because i was too confused but yes even though i have sleep apnea i still needed a 6 months weight in. I was so excited but it ok

chitowngirl: OMG! I am not going to dare to look at any of my doctor's notes after reading that!!!!!

dont cry.. i had to wait for insurance approval for 5 months even though i already met all the requirements.. so look into that as well.. ask your insurance if after your weigh ins do you have any other waiting period. but look at it this way in these 6 months you can start preparing .. and maybe by the time your surgery is here you will have even less to loose.. time really will go by fast keep busy and continue your research and visit us here often for info support and updates.

They game me a list but something told me to call the ensurance to see if i need anything else to qualify and i got the 6 month surprise. I did all the phyc and ecg and blood and all i needed was ugi. Damn im so mad i had no clue.

6 months will go by so quickly. You really should take this time to prepare and it will give you something to look forward to. Start working on your diet, drink 64 oz Water, look into different sources of Protein, make a list of everything you need for the pre op diet, hospital stay, post op diet..there is so much to do you keep busy and you will see how fast the time flies. Instead of being mad, be glad that you have insurance, that you have this opportunity. 6 months is nothing..you'll see.