Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So i found out i need 6 months of weighing for my insurance to approve my surgery. Im so mad because no one told me. Not even the people from the gastric office. I cant believe my luck. But im not giving up. I make appt for weight ins and a new second consultation.

I think some of this is your responsibility, although your bariatric clinic should have looked into it too. The first thing I did was call my insurance and get the list of requirements. Insurance companies always want a laundry list of stuff done. I am sorry though that you have to wait. I'm sure it's frustrating.

I'm happy to hear that you're not giving up. Have you been getting weighed at your doctor/the bariatric clinic over the past couple months at all? See if you can use any of those weights, maybe you can cut down some of the time!

Sorry you just found out -- but 6 months of pre-op weight loss monitoring is very, very common. A lot of people begin this process by calling their insurance company first to find out the requirements, and all of the surgeon's in my area ask for your insurance information at the information session or before the first visit. You might want to call your insurance company and find out exactly what is covered, how much you'll pay out of pocket, etc.. That way you can be sure you have followed all of the rules -- like most also require a pysch eval too.

Your insurance benefit book will have some of the info, so check that before you call. If you look through the boards, you'll see several insurance-related posts. I've been reading them all, so I can make sure I've jumped through all of the necessary insurance hoops!

Good luck!

I myself was upset too when I heard about the six months pre-op weigh ins, which many require you to chart your food.

If you are not ready yet, then let it go, however, each insurance company is different, and the truth is, most people really need the six months to start making the changes they need to in order to succeed.

Start charting your food on something like myfitnesspal.com - start drinking 64 ounces of Water a day, charting how much actual exercise you get in. You will most likely need to have psychological testing, a nutritionist, a group meeting, medical testing (sleep apnea) upper gi, blood work, some need ekgs.

Many people have been around the block so many times that this is what they feel is their last hope and are ready to jump through every hoop to do this.

WLS is not easy....at all. It takes discipline, it takes hard work and dedication. The sleeve is only a tool. It doesn't mean you won't be addicted to fast food anymore, not want pop, not want caffeine, not want to overeat, it just makes your stomach smaller. It's not a cure all, most of the work comes from you. It's how you deal with the situation.

If you are serious about changing your lifestyle and your life, and wanting to change for good, then go into this six months and make the changes that you need before surgery. It sure makes it easier after surgery. I did the six months and lost 10 pounds a month pre-op. I was so proud of myself. I even had days I went out and overindulged once in a while, but I made sure I got my 64 ounces of Water in, I started out by marching in place for 5 minutes a day, then 10 then when I lost enough to fit on my gazelle I did it 5 minutes a day, 10 minutes then 15 minutes, then 15 minutes twice a day. I learned to stop drinking my water with dinner and eating my meat first, my vegetables seconds and I learned to chew everything well.

You have six months to make a difference in how well you do after surgery. If you are not willing to do that, think about self-pay and perhaps going to Mexico to do it.

Truth is, I think most people should be made to go through a six month program, because many people need to learn the sleeve doesn't make you not want food, that's up to you and this is not a diet, it's a lifestyle change.

Best of luck.

Thank u for the info guys. Yea i guess it was my responsability but since i dont kno no one that has done a gastric surgery im basically lost. But im going to call n find out the list of requirement. Im mad because shouldnt doctor kno these things and inform the patient before giving a referal. But oh well like i said not giving up.

I had to the 6 month supervised weight loss.. Look at it as a way to prepare you for your new life!!! Trust me, it goes by very fast... I wish I would have been more diligent about using my 6 months to jump start my weight loss and prepare myself a little more..

You can do this... Trust me!!! Best wishes!!

So i found out i need 6 months of weighing for my insurance to approve my surgery. Im so mad because no one told me. Not even the people from the gastric office. I cant believe my luck. But im not giving up. I make appt for weight ins and a new second consultation.

That's really odd that you didn't know that. That is one of the main requirements. My nutritionist told me about the whole weigh-ins as well. My insurance only required 3 months but I was weighed by my nutrionist and by the surgeons office. I hope you didn't already start the process because that would be terrible!!!

I suggest you get written information from your insurance company about what is needed before approval for the surgery. I am glad I did that. Mine included the three months visit to my primary care provider for weigh-in, but also required that he document our discussions about diet and excercise and my actions to improve my diet and exercise. If you don't have exactly the right information documented in exactly the right way, the insurance company can deny your application for approval of the surgery and you would have to start over. The insurance companies are very rigid about their requirements.

The 6 months is very common. It's a good time for you to start your life changes

My insurance doesn't require that; just a weight history. But that sucks. Does this mean you have to pay co-pays just to go in and get weighed?

Just finished my 3rd visit last week. It's annoying but since there is nothing you can do about it you might as well use it to learn how to eat properly.

I agree, take the next 6 months to really commit to some of the new habits you'll need to adopt! :-) I remember when I first heard that I needed the 6 months worth of weigh ins and it almost pushed me away. Then I realized that 6 months is going to pass whether I move toward this goal or not....best to make the most of that time. I'm sorry you are disapointed but try and spin it to a positive. You now have 6 months to kick soda, start a new workout plan, reduce carbs, not eat and drink at the same time....You've got this!

Take care!