Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Super Nurses With Sleeves (Support Group)

Just wondering to all the nurses, how long did you take off work? I work on the respiratory/ventilator and on the palliative floor. So as you all know lots of lifting and pulling, heavy patients, have a couple bariatric patients as well, 400 + lbs.just not sure how much time off to ask for.

I took off 3 weeks and i work in NICU (no heavy lifting). Ask your surgeon for his recommendations.

I wish I could have taken longer, i still didn't have my energy back at 3 weeks.

Just wondering to all the nurses, how long did you take off work? I work on the respiratory/ventilator and on the palliative floor. So as you all know lots of lifting and pulling, heavy patients, have a couple bariatric patients as well, 400 + lbs.just not sure how much time off to ask for.

I took off 3 weeks and i work in NICU (no heavy lifting). Ask your surgeon for his recommendations.

I wish I could have taken longer, i still didn't have my energy back at 3 weeks.

I took off 6 weeks, but I had plenty of ESB to use. I'm ready to go back! I feel good. I work in the NICU, but I transport babies to procedures and sugery. I also do PICCs. I'm glad I took off that many weeks so I could be ready when I go back.

I am a rehab nurse I took 8 weeks because I am the only nurse with one aide at night and I wanted to have all my strength back Im going back in September.

I am taking pre-reqs for nursing and am scheduled for 9/22/14. I'm excited. I was in a car accident a few years ago and a nurse told me I was wasting my time getting the sleeve and that i should just eat better and exercise. I was very put off by her comments, it's 2 years later and I'm still heavy and want this as a tool to help me. I don't want to go through nursing school (if/when I'm accepted) as the fat girl

Are you a nurse? I am starting a support group for nurses that are contemplating, undergoing or are now 'old pro's' with their sleeves! By way of introduction, my name is Jana & I live in the DFW area and am currently undergoing the approval process. I have been a RN for 38 years--18 years in Surgery & 18 years in Case Management & as a Manager for a major health plan carrier. So feel free to jump on board!

glad I found this thread. I am an RN in the DFW area as well. Sleeves June 30th. Love seeing how well others are doing!

Are you a nurse? I am starting a support group for nurses that are contemplating, undergoing or are now 'old pro's' with their sleeves! By way of introduction, my name is Jana & I live in the DFW area and am currently undergoing the approval process. I have been a RN for 38 years--18 years in Surgery & 18 years in Case Management & as a Manager for a major health plan carrier. So feel free to jump on board!

glad I found this thread. I am an RN in the DFW area as well. Sleeves June 30th. Love seeing how well others are doing!

Hi, I'm JJ and have been a nurse for 8 years. I am currently the nurse manager for a transitional care unit and acute inpatient rehab. I started my sleeve journey in May and have my last appt. with nutritionist aug. 26th. Once insurance gives the go ahead I will get my surgery date. I am at my highest weight of 255 and can't wait to feel better. I live in Idaho

I'm an ER nurse and I took 7 weeks. I was able to get full pay with disability and sick time to supplement it.

I'm Lori and I've been an RN for 14 years. 10 years ER and 4 years urgent Care. I finished my BSN in 2012 and tomorrow I start FNP school. I'm not currently working. I had back surgery-3 level lumbar fusion and suffered complications causing the surgery to have to be completely re-done 10 days later. I walked with a walker for 6 months. I'm doing better these days but have gained a lot of weight due to physical inactivity since the back surgeries. My sleeve surgery is scheduled for October 14th and I couldn't be more excited. I'm hoping I will be able to lose weight and alleviate some pain. I'm scared about keeping up with school while going through sleeve surgery. Heck, I'm also scared about school for the obvious back issue reason and wonder daily if I will be able to do the job physically. The sleeve is my hope. October 14th can't come quick enough!!!!!

Lori,

I am hoping for a surgery date around October 13th. I would love to have a sleeve buddy. I should have a date within the next week or so

friejenn, that would be awesome!!!

You can do short term disability for sleeve recovery?

I'm pretty sure you can. The FMLA source I talked to asked if I would be applying for it. I didn't since I had enough PTO/EIB banked I wouldn't need it.