Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Leaving Belongings When In Surgery?

OK, so I already know I will not be bringing any "valuables" such as jewelry and hubby will have any cash we bring in his wallet with him, but we will have iPhones and laptops, etc. When I am in surgery, unless hubby stays right there in room they will have to be left unattended. Also, when walking the halls and any time I may not be in the room, etc.

Has anyone felt unsafe leaving these things or any advise on where to leave, etc.? I am just winding down these last few days and getting everything in order. I know I wont think of everything, but it certainly helps to have already asked these type questions and seeing responses from those of you that have been there!

I had a lock on my suitcase that I bought before flying. It was one of those locks that are part of the airport security system (the inspectors have a universal key to open and then relock at the airport when you're not there to open it for them.....protects your bag from theft by other staff, baggage handlers, etc.).

It won't prevent a determined thief (they'll just break or cut off the lock), but it should prevent spontaneous theft and it would leave evidence that there was tampering.

In my case, my surgeon was Dr. Kelly in Tijuana, and his assistant Omar offered (before I even had a chance to ask) to take my bag with him and lock it in his car until after my surgery. I wasn't really concerned about leaving it in my hospital room, but I let him take it "just in case" and it gave me extra piece of mind.

I got it back right after surgery (I was still asleep in my room!) and all was good. Perhaps you could ask for something similar from your surgeon's coordinator?

My auntie took care of my things while I was in surgery...when they moved me to my room, she only left me my cell phone, a book and my clothes for when I get discharged....she took my purse home with her

I have been wondering the exact same thing but I'm going alone, so I won't have anyone there to keep an eye on anything. I want to keep in touch with family back in Canada, so taking my laptop is a must for me!!! I'm not overly worried about it because I'm going to only take one travel bag and I guess I could keep a lock on it, but suitcase locks aren't exactly super secure. I hope someone who has gone to Hospital MI has a great answer for us!

Maybe a lock would be a good idea - I dont think the room will be left unattended for too long. I am sure that hubby will walk with me until he has to stop going into OR and then, Im guessing he will wait in the room....I dont know the situation for waiting rooms, etc.

I am also sure I am worrying for nothing, I have not heard a single word about theft being a problem especially at Mi Doctor or with Dr. Garcia and his staff....I just dont think it would be worth their reputation.

jh5497 - I will barely miss you. We will be leaving on 8/7...I wish you the best and I plan to update as much as possible while there as you are getting ready to come to Mx!

I know, we will barely miss each other! I will get to MX on August 8! I will be lurking and watching for your updates on here! Good Luck -- you will definitely be in my thoughts on Friday!

This is an interesting subject. I never even though or worried about my stuff while in Mexico last month. I did give my phone and wedding ring to my friends husband to hold while I was there but not for fear of it getting stolen while I wasn't with it. To be honest the thought of anyone stealing my stuff NEVER crossed my mind. I left my stuff in my room several times while shopping and sightseeing and out on strolls. Never had ANY problem!

I was told that Dr.Lopez's assistant will be responsible for my things. I am supposed to make an a list of items and both of us sign off on it before surgery. Hopefully all will be well. I will be very disappointed if I lose my Ipad, phone, money , and OMG my passport.

We never felt like we needed to worry about our things at Hospital MI Doctor. You can put your things in the closet and also in a locked suite case if that makes you feel better. I walked around the hospital with my I Pad, I Phone and Laptop sitting out. When my daughter was sleeping I'd go downstairs to the cafe to eat leaving everything out in the room. Never felt worried about my things being stolen. A theft there would really hurt their reputation so you can be sure they don't want that to happen.

I never worried about my stuff! My g/f went with me and took my purse. Our suitcases were tagged and put in the hallway until we went to the hotel/recovery house. I kept my Blackberry with me and left it in the bag with my clothes. Its a good thing because I wanted it as soon as I came out of surgery to text the world and tell them I survived!