Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Making Your Final Goal

I just hit Onederland this morning and now I'm faced with making a final goal. To those who are now on maintenance, how did you pick your final goal? Did you pick a final number and worked to hit that? Or did you just let your body do what it was going to do and once it stopped that was it?

My goal was 175 but the weight loss has been so quick with no stalls or slow downs that I'm starting to think maybe I should go lower. But I can't imagine my body at less than 175. It seems so weird and foreign to me.

So what do you think? What should I do? What did you do or what do you plan to do?

Thanks!

I found a website that realllly helps: www.mybodygallery.com

The website lets you put in your height and body shape then it show you women at each weight class. I could see 10 women my height (5'9) and see what 140 lbs looks like compared to 165 lbs. it really opened my eyes and helped make my weight goals. My first, second, and third goals I made off of this site. Seeing the numbers applied to real women was sooooo helpful.

I'm 5'3" I was 130 in the past but I was extremely muscular and 16 years younger.

I am thinking 140 would probably be a healthy weight. At 5'3" and almost 49 years old old, I will not be able to exercise the same way I could when I was in my 30's. I think 135-140 is where I would like to try to keep myself.

I remember being 300 and thinking, oh if I could only get down to 250. I remember feeling great at 200 in the past and then back to 300 and thinking 275 would make me happy.

I hit under 200 finally...after years of struggling 200-300+ and of course 175 is a goal I am looking forward to but I do remember when I had started to gain the weight how miserable I felt at 175 compared to how I felt when I was under 150.

Right now, 196 feels FANTASTIC compared to what 300+ felt. I just know that a reasonable goal for me is 140 and if I can hit 135 and have that 5 pound wiggle room it would be for the best.

ps: Height and Weight is not the only criteria for healthy body weight. Some people are built differently. I do have a tendency towards muscular body, I have wide shoulders, muscular arms, smaller waist, big butt, short legs but bigger muscular thighs, with a long torso.

I didn't look that good at 130, I needed that extra 5-10 pounds to look healthy. If I was smaller, I would look horrible. There are others at 130 that have longer legs and arms that look chubby at 130 even at 5'3"

I just hit Onederland this morning and now I'm faced with making a final goal. To those who are now on maintenance' date=' how did you pick your final goal? Did you pick a final number and worked to hit that? Or did you just let your body do what it was going to do and once it stopped that was it?

My goal was 175 but the weight loss has been so quick with no stalls or slow downs that I'm starting to think maybe I should go lower. But I can't imagine my body at less than 175. It seems so weird and foreign to me.

So what do you think? What should I do? What did you do or what do you plan to do?

Thanks![/quote']

Well, I'm not at goal yet, actually far from it.

But my preferred methods for setting & achieving goals has always been to focus on the goal that has already been set. Then once that goal has been reached evaluate and set a new goal.

I almost never change a goal. You need to feel the satisfaction of achieving the goal you have now, it will give you the motivation to complete your next goal.

I'd like to add why do you feel the need to determine your goal weight now?? I say go for the 170 and reevaluate once you get there. Good luck to you.

I was just wondering how other people attacked it and when they felt they were close. If 175 is my goal, then I'm pretty close to it. This whole process has been 5 pound goals at a time. Now I feel like looking a little further down the road.

Or I can just keep doing what I'm doing and see where that road leads me. It's not like I'm on a "diet" and can just quit when I make goal.

What a fantastic site! I love it! Thank you so much for sharing that.

My doctor set a goal for me of 70kilos (150 pounds) which at 5'8" seems tiny! But as I lose the weight it seems more and more realistic. However part of me wants to wait and see what my skin decides to do.

Congratulations on onederland :-)

Sent from my iPad using VST

I said 170, my doctor said 180. I am over a year from surgery and weighed 169 today and now I want 150 to 160. I am 5'11". You should be happy wherever you are, but push yourself for more. In order for me to get to 150 at this point I would have to eat like I did the first couple of months...800 calories. I might try it, but I think I might be too hungry. We shall see.

My first goal was a normal BMI--not because I believe in BMI so much, but because my doctor gives her "above normal" BMI folks a lecture, and I didn't want to hear it anymore, So I hit 160, a normal BMI for me, and then thought, well, I spent my late 20s and early 30s in the 150s--let's aim for that. So I got to 150 and had my gallbladder out, and after I recovered from that I was 144 and looked good. I thought I'd try to get into maintenance there, but my body kept losing a little bit until I hit 137. I've been here for about six months now, up a pound, down a pound, but mostly 137. I feel great and I think this is where my body wants to settle.

I think you will know when you are done. I also think that getting really thin is scary for some people, which is why some are more comfortable at higher weights. Really, your goal should be what is easily maintained and makes you happy in your mirror and in your skin.

See, that's part of what I meant by letting my body do what it's going to do (as long as I stick to eating healthy). Wow, 137 does seem scary but if that's where I end up then so be it.

Congratulations to my sleeve sister since we had surgery on the same date this year. I'm so happy for you. I have 4.7 more pounds to go to join you in Onerland.