Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I haven't had the surgery yet, but I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I was apprehensive about the machine as well, but I'm starting to like it. With regular use, I have been sleeping very well with it. The facial contraption takes some getting used to, but overall, it's not too bad. I was told to bring the machine to the hospital on the day of surgery.

Ditto. I downright refused to use the stupid thing because it was uncomfortable at first. Now, it isn't pleasant, but I definitely wake up refreshed - which hadn't happened in a very long time. I was tired all.the.time. I have to use the machine before surgery and take it to the hospital with me as well.

Oh man.

Well I wish i could contribute to answering you r question, but I am pre-op and have not yet had my study. HOWEVER, i am pretty sure I will need the CPAP and your description kinda scared me there lol.

Well I sure hope it gets better for you, and that you are able to move forward with surgery!! Keep us posted!

No my intention was not to scare you at all. Just wanted you guys to know how I felt. However my son just told me he didn't hear me snore and his room is next to mine. My husband is away for another week so I know that when he comes back and I won't be snoring he will be one happy man...LOL!

It does take a little while to get used to. Does your machine have a "ramp up" on the air flow? I know with mine when I first start it the air flow is very gentle. I have it set so that it takes about 40 minutes to get up to full flow. That helps a lot. Also, if your face was swollen your mask might have been too tight. Did you get your CPAP and supplies through a medical supply company? I found that if one mask doesn't work there are many, many others to chose from. I use a mouth only mask with nose "pillows" to provide air flow through my nostrils. It's so comfortable.

As to the OP, I can't live without my CPAP now. I sleep better, don't snore, and I wake up more refreshed. I do need to see my pulmonologist to see if my machine needs to be adjusted as I've lost a considerable amount of weight. As I have severe apnea, I'll probably be on it for a while but the hope is one day I won't need it any more.

No the machine I have is a borrowed one from Kaiser. We get to test it out for a week, go back and purchase ours. I did start off with a level 4 and in the middle of the night I noticed it was a 9.5. Don't know what that means but I will have to ask the Dr.

Thanks for the encouraging comments.

I feel the same way! :)

Just got my machine a couple weeks ago. The first 4-5 days I was able to use the mask without any (major) problems. Now the mask has developed a seriously loud whistle every time I exhale which is unbearable! It only happens after the machine "ramps up" and usually just as I'm about to fall asleep - which wakes me up. I've tried dealing with the noise but end up yanking the mask off and not using it. I finally gave up after trying all the troubleshooting tips in the manual (cleaning with vinegar, tightening/loosening straps, etc.)

I did contact the DME company that issued my mask and machine and I have a 30-day window to exchange the mask. I made an appointment for tomorrow night so I'm hoping they can either issue me a new mask or adjust the pressure on the machine (I think that's the real problem!).

You may want to call the company that issued you the mask and machine and let them know! Don't worry about thinking you are being whiny! This is your health at stake here - you are your own best advocate! If something isn't working for you, let your voice be heard!

Thank you. I will be speaking to the nurse practitioner today. I will mention it to him. I have heard about the nose mask with pillows have no clue what it is or even looks like but I will research when I get a moment.

Thanks. I hope you find a mask that helps you.

Ditto. I downright refused to use the stupid thing because it was uncomfortable at first. Now, it isn't pleasant, but I definitely wake up refreshed - which hadn't happened in a very long time. I was tired all.the.time. I have to use the machine before surgery and take it to the hospital with me as well.

I hope that once I have the surgery the OSA goes away. THey say it's a possiblitly. Crossing my fingers. Besides, it's not very sexy..

Is sleep apnea only considered a comorbidity if you need a cpap machine? What if you have sleep apnea but not bad enough to need a machine?

For me I had my machine for a little over a year on the highest setting my doc told me I was one of the worst people he had seen in 4 years I stopped breathing every 60seconds.

I had to have the machine and be used to it for at least 3 months before the op so I was fine by the time mine rolled around I had to take it in with me and have my doc make note of it so he could reinforce the line with sutures so the air pressure didn’t stretch or blow anything.

I was told to hold off using it for as long as possible so in hospital I didn’t used it for the 3 days or the next 7 days at home when I did try it I hated it though I was more than used to sleeping with it for some reason I just hated it, it felt high and just not good.

I tried it one more time a month and half out and same thing I slept far far worse than without it and not like before haven’t used it since it feels to high and like I can’t breath now.

I was told by the chest hospital who deals with it 3-6 months out of the op I could be completely off using it anyway.

I developed it when I hit 400lbs a lot of boob weight and neck weight come in to play at that weight I am at 323lbs now and the boobs are deflating fast so I think mine is gone.

Is sleep apnea only considered a comorbidity if you need a cpap machine? What if you have sleep apnea but not bad enough to need a machine?

I think anything over a 5 is considered comorbidity because that's when they give you a CPAP machine to use. I have 9.3 and I have to use the machine. I just spoke to the dr. and he said he can almost assure that once I have the sleeve done and lose weight it will go back to normal...I hope so.

For me I had my machine for a little over a year on the highest setting my doc told me I was one of the worst people he had seen in 4 years I stopped breathing every 60seconds.

I had to have the machine and be used to it for at least 3 months before the op so I was fine by the time mine rolled around I had to take it in with me and have my doc make note of it so he could reinforce the line with sutures so the air pressure didn’t stretch or blow anything.

I was told to hold off using it for as long as possible so in hospital I didn’t used it for the 3 days or the next 7 days at home when I did try it I hated it though I was more than used to sleeping with it for some reason I just hated it, it felt high and just not good.

I tried it one more time a month and half out and same thing I slept far far worse than without it and not like before haven’t used it since it feels to high and like I can’t breath now.

I was told by the chest hospital who deals with it 3-6 months out of the op I could be completely off using it anyway.

I developed it when I hit 400lbs a lot of boob weight and neck weight come in to play at that weight I am at 323lbs now and the boobs are deflating fast so I think mine is gone.

It's good to know there is hope for us who don't want to use it forever. I am sure the quality of sleep is was better with it than without it. I have a mild case of OSA 9.3 and the dr. just told me that if I use it for at least a month I will be able to set up my surgery. I am hoping I am able to do it. He also said that since I was able to sleep with it for the entire month chances are I will be successful at it. Wish me luck. I sure do need it. It wasn't easy.

You are like ugh hate this to start with but when your used to it the quality of sleep is a million times better than without it that’s a major fact!

I would stop breathing and sit up then fall asleep instantly sitting up then wake up throw myself back and start all over again.

Not to mention being like a narcoleptic and just falling asleep all the time at my desk in the middle of typing or something and bam I am asleep, or having a conversation!

No joke I would be talking to someone and just go to sleep couldn’t stop myself from doing it either I was so bad.

Now I sleep fine like I did before no finny stuff no headaches no fuzzy head nothing just like before and its frigging great!

Sorry I was also going to say I think you need at least a month of it because you have to learn to use it, your body adapt to it, know if it’s the right pressure and the right mask and you in yourself know if the position you are sleeping in means the air is going in your stomach or lungs.

If you wake up and feel burpy and gassy then its going into your belly and you have to adjust your sleeping position by either elevating your head or lowering it, it all depends I sleep on my front with my head up so I never had the issue with air in my stomach.

Last night was the first night I used it. The NP recommend I try the nose (darn it I forgot what it was) with the nose pillows. He said that, that is what he uses and he loves it. Much more comfortable too. I don't know. All I know is I HAVE to use it if I want to have the surgery. I don't have any symptoms but maybe I've just learned to cope with them and don't realize it yet. Maybe a couple of days after I use the machine I will see an improvement. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

i had a nose mask not full face but not the pillows first mask was bad second bad 3rd was comfy all gel padded didn;t leak, then they tried me on the nasal pillows HATED that was the much better one on your head and face but for me it made me open my mouth like i couldn;t breath with the air directly up my nose so i went back to the gel mask.

it really all depends on you and how you are i am a nose breather and i am funny about my nose feeling blocked or pushed on even my glasses bug me like i feel my nose is being pintched so the pillows didn;t work for me lol

I go back next week to order mine. I am hoping that by them I have gotten used to the mask it not I will def. let them know I want to try something different.

No my intention was not to scare you at all. Just wanted you guys to know how I felt. However my son just told me he didn't hear me snore and his room is next to mine. My husband is away for another week so I know that when he comes back and I won't be snoring he will be one happy man...LOL!

Hahaha thats awesome! I cant imagine sleeping around someone, and nobody complaining about my snoring. I hear that i snore like a beast so that will be a new experience -- no complaints about my noise!! lol i cant wait, even if it means i have to have a machine on my face for a while (hopefully the apnea will go away after i lose this weight!!)