Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Bad Is The First 6 Weeks Postop?

I'm scared and trying to prepare myself as I think about planning my life around this...work/childcare/other responsibilities. Any insights welcome.

I was tired for a couple of weeks, but didn't think food planning was a big deal.

My first three weeks were really tough. Week 4 seems better Just nerve pain top top of my stomach near largest incision. I couldnt have made it thru week one and two without help.

My first two weeks were horrible. The pain wasnt too bad but emotionally I was a wreck. I was useless for the 1st two weeks and had to have help taking care of my children. Family was a huge help.

Everything went well for me..... I was driving within 2 days after surgery, I guess it depends on the person. I kept telling myself that i was going to have a painless recovery and so far its worked

i had a little discomfort initially but i did not take any pain pills after i left the hospital

lets just hope your recovery goes nice and easy as mine has been

im heading into my 3rd week post op on july 26

I am 11 days Post Op and Honestly the first week was hard now the begining of the second it gets easier the only thing is if u have the people to help u with ur family that is great if not it is going to be hard but keep up the positive attitute things will work out for the best ???? Good Luck

I hit 5 weeks tomorrow since I had surgery. The 1st week all I did was sleep. 2nd week I was a bit better but still very tired and sore. 3rd week felt alot better until 2 days before I hit my 4th week and all of a sudden I had some extreme pain occur on the left side of my stomach area that hurt even to the touch, Dr sd it is normal when things are healing. 4th week still had pain until mid week and had to take pain meds to eleviate. No pain at all last 4 days. Will start back to work tomorrow. Biggest issue is I run out of steam pretty quick, I get tired very easily and have to sit down alot because I start feeling weak.

Surgery on Monday out of Hospital Thursday at 7 a.m. Slept most of Thursday with the occasional get up and walk walks...then Friday went to the Movies with my sister and nephew, then Saturday went to the El centro Fair and toured all my nephews entries, Sunday I went to church and flew home to Oregon ...Monday morning I drove myself home while my hubby6 slept in the passenger seat! Drove 2 hours and went to work for the remainder of the day and then it's all history from there! Work work work....

I had my surgery in Mexico and there was literally ZERO pain associated with my surgery....AMAZING my surgeon was a master and My master had his hands on him during my surgery....The Lord gave me a great surgical teram and placed his healing hand upon me....

It greatly varies, I had a few cravings the first week or so, & one of my incisions was a bit sore for about 10 days. But other than that, it's been a breeze.

I didn't have any incision pain after surgery but I did have a little gas pain in my left shoulder but after walking a couple of hours after surgery it went away by the next morning. I didn't have problems with pain when I came home either just a little tired for the 1st week. I went back to work though and managed ok =) The thing I wasn't prepared completely for was the complete no interest in food. Then you know you have to get Water and Protein in but can't, I mean literally can't! Couldn't get it all in until week 3, you have everyone tell you about that part but until you experience it, well, it just didn't register for me lol! Then around the 4th day of week 2 I wanted food, but couldn't have it =( Sooo I started freaking out about the restriction for the rest of my life like OMG! what have I done to myself! lol Anyway, you get the picture! I wasn't so much out of commission for my family but I did have some head games going on that were sometimes more of an issue than anything physical... I am now almost 4 weeks out and loving the sleeve, those weeks were totally worth the 34 weight loss =)

It all depends on the person. I did not have any problems or pain. I was able to drive in like a day. I compare it to my C-section. It wasn't bad at all. No meltdowns. I accepted way back that I was doing this to get healthy.

The first week was rough for me but I think a big part of it was actually the cold turkey caffiene withdrawls. I was pretty deligent about getting my protein/fluids in and getting up and walking even if it was just walk through house several times a day. I went home with a drain which I kept for nine days (very untypical post op) but it really wasn't much of an issue. It will be two years next month and I still love my sleeve. My weight has stayed stable I bounce up and down maybe 5 pounds. I still have to watch what I eat and exercise but it is so much easier. If I am going to a party or something I'll eat something with high Protein like a hard boiled egg and I can walk away from temptation. I still drink a Protein Shake every morning (I do a little doctoring and love them).