Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Naysayers.....do It Naturally! How To Handle Them.

Hello everyone I am in my very early stages of Pre op I am ordered to wait 2-3 months before I begin my appointments with the NUT and the Psychologist etc. Meanwhile I have been reading and researching like crazy!!!! The few that I have shared this interest with recommend I eat smaller portions and do it the natural way~ this only causes me more frustration because I can NOT do this on my own! I have tried, I am trying with little success I am 5'3 255lbs~ I seem to go up 5lbs and drop 5lbs I attend a kickboxing academy 3-4x a week and utilize MYFITNESSPAL to track my meals~ { add me sensationallysassyt}

My question is what has made the sleeve a success for you when so many other diets have failed in the past?

What can I do to prepare myself for success both Pre and post op for not only weight loss but for a healthier lifesyle as well???

Thanks

T~

Hi there, welcome to the forum. I made the decision after I gained almost 75lbs after I retired, As I turn 40 this wt started creeping up slowly and I just could't get it off no matter how many step aerobics and spin classes I took. I also ate small amounts but I could never get full and would end up consuming too many calories. I have been con constant diets my entire adult life froom 17 years old to 43 years old. I would say at least two crash diets per year because I was in the military and I had to starve myself twice per year to make weight. Upon retirement and my 45h birthday I was at 250lbs my highest wt ever, I took a look at a photo from my gym and I said it's time to do something drastic so I started researshing the gastric bypass. I ran into someone who was researching the sleeve and I did also, I liked what I read about the sleeve and got the surgery in Jan 2012. I am now down to 182lbs in 6 months and I could NEVER HAD DONE IT WITHOUT THE SLEEVE. I could not do this alone not even with all my military discipline, courage, blah, blah, blah. My best advice is to read and gather as much info as you can and prepare yourself mentally. It is an emotional experience, I have lost friends because of this surgery, they think I am better than they are after I lost the wt. My lifestyle is changed now and I can't be around all the food any more, they can't understand that. Thank God my husband supports me and he is the only friend I need. So get strength and knowledge because you will need it, Good luck to you and I wish you success and happiness. I know I found it with the sleeve and only wish I had the operation done earlier

I think the sleeve helps because it reduces our hunger and gives us a fighting chance at making the lifestyle changes that are necessary for long-term weight loss. In the beginning, it definitely seems like a magic spell has been cast upon our bodies because the weight just falls off. As we get further out from surgery, the responsibility transfers back to us, though. The key, IMO, is to make those changes and commit to keeping the changes for life. The sleeve's restriction helps, but it doesn't do all the work. WE have to do the head work to recognize and resolve whatever the underlying problem is that made us overeat or we're at risk for a crossover addiction or two.

As for preparing, read everything you can. Learn what your post op diet will be, including specific instructions for early post-op, right down to what foods are allowed and not allowed. Start now to adopt the habits of successful sleevers: 64 oz of Water and 70 grams of Protein daily, detox from caffeine and sugar, quit drinking with meals, start chewing your food 30 times before you swallow it, slow down while eating and start some kind of exercise program, even if it's only walking. All of these habits will stand you in good stead post-op.

Take your measurements pre-op, keep using MFP to track your food and exercise (I'm Lissa912 there if you want to add me), and enjoy the success you will have! :)

As for the naysaysers, screw them. They aren't living in your body or living your life. You know what you've tried before and you know that it didn't work or you wouldn't be contemplating surgery. Thank them for their advice and keep right on trucking! :)

Most of all, enjoy the journey. This isn't a race. It's a nice steady walk to get to your goal and there are lots of changes to notice and appreciate as you get there. :)

Thanks soooo much MeMe for your openess and honesty! As a military Spouse I understand the ups downs and emotional trials this lifestyle offers. I am looking forward to being FREE from this weighed down lifestyle and addiction called obesity~

Welcome to the forums!!

I hate it when people just think I've decided to have the sleeve overnight. I'm surprised that people would think that I have not exhausted EVERY available option before going under a knife! 'Try harder' is a very relative term. Small portions on my normal sized pouch is a death-trap for me! Like many here, I was a yo-yo dieter and whenever I had a really strict diet my blood sugar also yo-yo'd and my physician was very concerned that I'm walking a dangeorus path with the way I handled my body. But after researching sleeve I was very happy to know that I would not be so hungry anymore. Like Lissa said, it was my only fighting chance to stay on track. Being a life long yo-yo dieter, it is easy for me to get back on track even if I slip and eat something I shouldn't. I have learned to make better food choices and staying focused on the goal. And this forum has been my cheerleading squad! :)

I'm so glad you are doing your research well ahead of your appointment. I'm sure you'll be ready with so many questions to your surgeon and NUT after you've read through the pre-op and post-op forums here!

Keep in touch and let us know about your progress! :)

Thanks a million ladies! I value and appreciate your advice~}}}}

Looking forward to this journey~}}}}

I understand that the naysayers may really think they are being helpful. What I would like to say is, "oh crap! Eat less and exercise more? WTH didn't I think of that?" ....and go from there with some sarcastic remarks about them being on the verge of a great discovery that could change mankind forever and having the means to end obesity once and for all with this amazing knowledge. But I don't. What I often say is, "If I could do it on my own I would have done it by now." That one shuts them up pretty fast. I have also prefaced my sharing about the surgery with, "I am telling you not because I want your approval or blessing, but because you are important to me and I would like your support with this very important decision I have made." That one is for family and good friends that will be supportive but concerned for my safety.

The decision to proceed with any medical treatment is highly a highly personal one. As heavy people we are often judged based solely on our size.That's not to say we have no responsibility here. But making assumptions about someone is just plain wrong.

I'm not ready ready to list my weight here, but it is unbelievable. But my blood pressure, cholesterol ,triglycerides are perfect. I am a type 2 diabetic with a currant A1c of 10.4. I'm on many meds including two insulins four times a day.

You can understand why I am taking this route because in at least some small way, you can relate. Those who can't , can't . And I'm trying to learn to be okay with that.

We don't fully understand what we've never lived.

If we had a heart problem or cancer or kidney disease, a radical procedure to save our life would be expected.

My close friends and family understand and support this.

Those who aren't educatated in what we are about to do, don't get it . That's ok. Just be sure that you understand, and come to peace with whatever you decide.

Welcome SensationalsassyT. I'm a military wife also and plan to have my sleeve performed at a mtf. I can't answer the other questions about the benefits of having the sleeve, since I haven't been sleeved yet. As for the naysayers I haven't told anyone that I plan to get the surgery except for my husband and the lady who I met at my kids bday party who had the sleeve. I haven't shared with anyone the fact that I'm getting the surgery because I don't think it's any of their business. I'm not trying to be private but I see it as a personal health decision and I don't have to share my health or choices with anyone. Plus when you share your plans then people take it upon themselves to put in their 2 cents lol. I don't want the negativity from my family so after the surgery is over and done with and I start dropping loads of weight then I may share my choice with them but it all depends :)

Thanks ladies for all of your responses! I will continue to move forward in the process of getting sleeved! I have to wait about 2 months to begin the process of appointments psyc, nut etc. Until then I am going to work on me internally and try and uncover the psychological reasons I overeat~ I will check in on this site daily to learn as much as possible~ My scale is being put away and I am going to begin living my life and not allowing my weight to hinder me anymore!!!!! Again thanks ladies~

T~ :wub: :wub:

P.S~ Feel free to add me I could use the support!

What I would like to say is, "oh crap! Eat less and exercise more? WTH didn't I think of that?" ....

I wish I had said that on Friday morning when I had 3 personal trainers telling me not to have the surgery...ugh. I get it! But I'm having the sugery for me, not you!

" What I would like to say is, "oh crap! Eat less and exercise more? WTH didn't I think of that?" ....and go from there with some sarcastic remarks about them being on the verge of a great discovery that could change mankind forever and having the means to end obesity once and for all with this amazing knowledge." Texarkolina I seriously burst out laughing after I read that, thank you =D There have been a few people close to me that I've told that have had the "Well, you could do it on your own, you know....You don't HAVE to have surgery" response, and what you posted there is almost exactly what ran through my head!

Thankfully, I have a filter and what actually came out of my mouth was something more along the lines of "I am doing this for my health, and I appreciate that you're concerned. I understand it's a scary thing, but I feel like I'm giving myself a chance to succeed where I have failed many times before"

Sensationally, don't let it get you down and adopting some of the eating changes pre-surgery can help you keep the momentum going after surgery (I haven't had mine yet, but I think that holds true in most things). Maybe finding a buddy to share weight loss journals/food logs with would help keep you on track for the time being?