Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Aussie Roll Call

Hi Bonnie

I am seeing my surgeon on Monday 27th and am already booked n for surgery on March 23. I went 2 years ago and then was talked out proceeding by a girlfriend who thought I was having a stomach staple!

Can't wait until it is all done and I am losing weight - I have tried everything and really think this is the solution. All the best!

Cleo

Hi Goannabanda, I only just found this site last night so I am delighted!!

I am in western Victoria and looking forward to changing my life on a positive way. Can you please tell me about the incision scars? There isn't much info on how big they are and where they are placed.:) I have heard there is a small support group in Warrnambool so I suppose that my surgeon will refer me onto them. Biggest change for me will be all the clothes I won't be able to fit into..haha.

Cheers Cleo

Hmmm...thanks for that, nothing to be worried about, the prospect of wearing a 2 piece in the pool in Balia in September isn't too far fetched, I thought that one of the scars would be over 10cm - the pics on the thread look minute. One more worry allayed.

Cleo:sick

Hi, What have you found was the hardest thing that no-one warned you about or was a surpise? Cleo

Cleo, the hardest thing for me was actually getting my head around the fact that my body COULD be sustained on a 5th or so of what I had been consuming before my surgery. I was an overeater and binger, and so this has taken some time to get used to, but I am getting there. I mean I FEEL full after about 1/2 - 1 cup of food now, which is the point of the band (and I knew this!) but it took a while for my food addicted head to catch up and realise that this is ok and I can put the fork down when I feel this way.

I've been lucky in that I haven't had any of the issues that some bandsters have (touch wood!) with reflux and PBing and unsupportive Drs, friends and family and such.

I think we all face our own challenges with the band. It is a life change, and we all make the decision to go ahead with it for our own many and varied reasons. That said, not a day goes by that I don't think to myself "I wish I had of done this sooner".

Hey Meredith, Should you use cream on your scars to make them less visable quicker? If so which one? I ask you this coz at 3 months out you are on old timer to me!:)

Susannah

Susannah, my advice is to wait until they are properly healed before you put anything on the incisions. Make sure they look scar-like and not still cu- like. I use Merderma gel on my surgery scars. It seems to have faded them some, but then I am only 3 months out. My Dads scars are skin coloured and you can see them but only if you know they are there. He didn't use anything on his, and is a year out from his banding, so who knows! I also use "Palmers Cocoa butter lotion for stretch marks" on my stretch marks (I have them on my hips, lower tummy and upper thighs) and I use Bio Oil (I think Jacqui recommended this??) on my tummy area too to promote the firmness here (I'm fighting an uphill battle I think).

I don't know if any of it is working at all, cos I have nothing to compare it to, but I hope it is. I was looking at my tummy in the mirror today and decided I will almost certainly need a section of skin removed. Unless I get really lucky and it shrinks back some how (HIGHLY UNLIKELY!). Its starting to hang over already. This is the only thing that depresses me about my weight loss thus far, the excess skin situation, and where I will find the $ to get it removed.

Thanks M for the advice. I think I saw Mederma cream being advertised on tv recently. I think I will go out and get some. Susannah

She Smiles

:clap2: " I Wish I Had Done This Sooner " Here , Here,:clap2:

Cleo,

The hardest thing is >>>>>>> Remember to chew and break up anything in you mouth into smarty size pieces, or ELSE...

sussanah - I use Bio Oil. It's very good, was recommended by my surgery. I have heard others suggest using pure Vit E, if you can't get it in a bottle, they open the capsules and tip the liquid onto the scars. There is also a silcone type gel dressing that is reusable and washable that has been used with success. Can't remember what it was called, but someone on LBT (Aussie section??) suggested it once. If you asked at the chemist, they'd know what it is.