Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Aussie Roll Call

Gday, Thanks for the tip Anna. I have ordered some Mederma gel from the chemist. It costs 45 bucks I think. You have to order it in. Susannah

Thats about what mine cost too Susannah, but I bought mine online from a Chemist in Sydney, I couldn't find any here and didn't even think to ask them to order it in!

Hey Girls, I got the Mederma gel. It was forty dollars. It should help to make the scars more faint. I won't be wearing a bikini any time soon though.:)

Susannah

Hi

I'm magii from Adelaide (South Australia) I have been banded a week ago today and have lost 1.5kg so far. I'm so glad I have found this site, it is full of great information.

Magii

Hi Magii and welcome. Most of us ' hang around ' the Melbourne thread. Feel free to drop in there. A few of the girls have recently been banded and also you'll find those banded a while ago with heaps of experience and knowledge. As for me.... Im being banded on friday.

Hi Bronnie Thanks for the welcome. you must be excited about friday, I was really scared before my op but, didn't need to be woke up in a bit of pain but nowhere near what I expected.

Magii

Hello Everyone out there! I have been slogging my way for the past 2 weeks through a combination of ReduceXS, Macleods Dietary Formula and Optifast. I have lost nealry 4 kgs but don't have a great deal of energy though I do feel better about myself already. I am being banded on March 23 and trying to be as vague as possible about why I am going into hospital and missing out on work for a few weeks. Have told everyone that I am on a bet with my husband to lose 30kgs before going to Bali in October. How up front have you all been with family and friends about having the lap band inserted, do you try to keep it a lifetime secret or does it eventually not matter at all?

I have 25kgs to lose, on a 180cm frame, I can't wait until I can fit back into those precious "small" items of clothing that I have not been able to throw out over 15 years of weight gain- then I can throw them out - hahah.

A general question - how much pain when you wake up from the op? Do you know that something major has been done ? - I have had laproscopic surgery for endometriosis but really didn't feel anything, and How soon before I can drive a car? hugs to everyone.

Hey cleo, well done on the pre surgery diet! 4 kilos is awesome!

As for who I have told, my family knows, and a handful of close friends. I told my employer I was going in for surgery and took 2 weeks off (but didn't say what kind) and haven't told any of my workmates at all. They see me trotting off to the gym and eating healthier smaller serves of food for lunch so they all just attribute my weight loss to my lifestyle change. I don't anticipate telling anyone new at all. And it hasn't really come up that I've been in any situation where I have had to explain it. I had a couple of negative reactions from a couple of friends I did tell, which is why in the end I decided to just keep it a secret between myself and the select people I chose. Because while we are all educated about the band via seminars and this site and our surgeons etc, the general population is not and will jump to conclusions - its surgery and drastic and blah blah blah. I just didn't want that negative energy floating round in the universe about my band which I personally think is the bees knees!!!

As for the pain when you first wake up, I was in pain, sure, but with in minutes of waking up they pumped me full of meds and I was fine. The first couple of days it was uncomfortable pain (not agonising though). And I had no energy to do anything but lie on the couch and walk a few laps of the lounge room each hour haha. I'd have to say my worst day was maybe 4 or 5 after surgery. My port really ached, and I had pretty bad gas pains. But by the end of the first week I was ok. I think I drove on day 4, which may have attributed to my bad pain that day. I was just sick of sitting around the house!! Apart from a slight ache in my port site, I was feeling pretty ok by day 10. But I say all of this with the fact that I have a very low pain threshold in mind - so you might go through it and think its a piece of cake (no pun intended!).

Good luck for the 23rd! :clap2:

Congrats on the 4kg loss!

How up front was I with my family? Err... I don't think I could keep my mouth shut about it! I was lucky and the majority were very supportive, but the few who had doubts now tell me they were just worried that I had my hopes up for nothing. They had my best interest at heart I guess.

Post op pain? I don't remember a whole lot of pain, but I am good with pain so I may not be the best person to answer that one (and my surgery was more than two years ago now, so the old memory is a wee bit fuzzy)

I waited a week before I drove, but I am sure I could have done so by about day two if I really had to.

Good luck!

Thanks Chickie and Meredith!

Hi, Unfortunately I have gone off the powder wagon over the past few days. Was at a 3 day seminar and starving at lunchtimes so had Sushi...yum. Then the friends I was staying with cooked meals for me every night...so I ate them. I am into hospital tomorrow , Monday, for a pre-op ECG and weigh-in, then have to be at hospital on Friday am at 7.15. I bought a two piece that I intend to wear in Bali in September, so my husband is going to take some pre-op pictures to keep me honest. I have a cross-trainer machine in the study ready to go and am trying to get the housework out of the way.

Chickie you look amazing! Where did you have abdominoplasty and do you mind telling me how much it cost? You must be so proud of yourself. I think that I need to start saving. Thanks for your message, only a few days to go until the old "me" gets a big shake-up. Hugs to everyone.

OK here I am on Sunday afternoon, back safe and sound at home after 2 days in hospital. I was "done" on Friday morning March 23rd 2007, 8.00 to 10.30 approx then have been in bed for the past 2 days. I had compression stockings, big inflatable boots that massaged my legs to prevent clots and a daily anticlot needle. I am walking as though I have a back ache and my abdomen feels as though I have been in the boxing ring! Quite windy as well but feeling terrific. Still feel quite sleepy, I recommend two nights in hospital to everyone- I am only just starting to feel better. The nurses were terrific at St John of God Hospital in Warrnambool-and Panadol Forte was marvellous to quell the pain. I am quite bloated in the abdomen but pleasantly surprised by the tiny incisions - only 5 small cuts. They stay bandaged for a week. No probs with drinking liquids though I am teaching myself to sip,sip,sip rather than my usual guzzle. Will start on walking machine tomorrow when I am not quite as unsteady on my pins. Weight down to 100kgs with 25 tp go- now I feel it will be achievable! Hope you are all well, and thanks so much for your support this is an awesome site. Bear hugs to you all for sharing your stories so freely!

Hey Cleo, Yay! Welcome to the land of the banded. The first week after banding is a bit painful and uncomfortable, but it all looks up after that. Weight loss to follow!:biggrin1:

Susannah

Hey Cleo... welcome to the world of the banded. I found the first 4 days post-op were a bit of a challenge r/e pain but after that its been really good.

Yayy! Congratulations Cleo! Let the losing begin (or continue, lol)

To answer your questions (sorry I didn't get to them before now) My Tummy Tuck was billed as reconstructive surgery, and was covered by my health fund and Medicare, so I was roughly $1800 out of pocket. I had my surgery at The Wesley in Brisbane.

Congratulations again!