Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Aussie Roll Call

Gday Bronnie and all, My surgeon requires that you attend an information session before he will proceed any further with consultations and appontments etc. Susannah

Hello... even without attending an information session, I believe im up to date and now have the knowledge behind me to go ahead with the op. Im not sure Dr Nottle even offers info sessions at his clinics.

Bronnie....your 100% right there....Peter doesnt require you to go to an info evening as he only holds about 1 or 2 a year...he has his own website that he tells you to read up on and to me thats good enuf as we do alot of searching about it on the net anyway:)

I read Dr Nottles website and i agree that its very informative. Any queation patients have i imagine they can just ask on the initial consult day. I have a work collegue that i only found out last evening is going to have the op too but hasnt even booked in for a consult yet. Im going to give her this site as i dont believe she has done very much research and you are all so helpful. I was 90% sure of getting it done and then i came upon this site and now im 100%.

Howdy Fellow Aussies,

I can’t believe I actually replied to your post in length 2 days ago and for some reason it’s not showing, so I’m attempting to reply again. Second time is never quite the same L

Susannah: I know exactly what you mean when you say your scared. Let me share you some about me. I have a HUGE HUGE anxiety about Dr’s, Hospital, Surgery. I’ve had this always (bad childhood experiences) I would even go as far as saying, its more than anxiety, it’s a fobia. However, I was fast increasing my weight, I had fractured my knee and was aided with a walking frame. After seeing an orthopaedic surgeon, he stated I would need to lose a minimum of 30 kilos before he would consider any surgery. At that point my future flashed before me. I had already started becoming a recluse and cutting myself off socially. If I did not do something NOW, I would fast become a Very Overweight disabled recluse. The fear of this was as great as my fear of Dr’s, Hospitals Etc. Something had to change. So I bit the bullet and went ahead with the surgery. I did however let all the Dr’s etc know of my fear and ensured they nurtured and looked out for me.

Sierra Indigo: I am more than pleased with the surgery (performed by Dr Leong) his after surgery care in the hospital could not be faulted. I came home from hospital and 2 days later was suffering badly with gas pains (the day before Christmas) and rang his residence, I could not have asked for a more understanding compassionate person to be on the other end of the phone. Dr Leon performs his surgery in several hospitals, one being the “Calvary Central Districts” I live in Salisbury so, appointments at his Salisbury rooms and Central Districts Hospital was ever so convenient. Good Luck with your decision J

Fee: I can’t wait till my signature reads such exciting weight loss J Again congrats.

I’m writing this from work and better get back to what I’m being paid for. I’m heading away to the beach for the weekend. Catch you all in a couple of days. CHEERS to Happy Healthy Eating J

I have not been banded yet...1 month away. I am excited and scared about the beginning of a new phase of life! What will I leave behind?

Anyway, I have not seen anything on this website about the impact on banding on your ability to drink alcohol? I know it seems funny...but I would like to know how my life will change.

Thanks Rowena

Hi Rowena

I asked this question before I was banded as I tend to drink wine on a regular basis.

Now I am 5 weeks banded and speaking from my own point of view, I can still drink wine & champagne, but probably not as much as I used to, and I also dont feel like it as much (depending on the day:) )

Everyone will tell you that to achieve maximum weight loss you should not drink alcohol as they are empty calories - I agree as this is probably the single biggest contributor to my weight gain.

But the reality is that most bandits who drank alcohol before banding still drink afterwards.

Chin chin :bandit

OH NO!! how can i give up my Vodka and Orange..

----------------------------------------------------

yet to be banded

1st consult 12/2

dietician appt 14/2

physician appt 14/2

HI everyone, I found this thread today, and wanted to introduce myself also.

I am Fiona, from Auckland NZ, banded last April 18th in Auckland. I am doing well on my journey, plugging along slowly, have lost 24 kgs so am really pleased. Also have regained interest in life again and started dating (now that's scary hehehe) and love going to the gym again. I am so thankful not to be obsessed about food anymore.

Glad to see an aussie thread going on this site, this is a great site, I love it.

Hi to you all!

XX Amourette!:D

Welcome.... this is a very supportive group. Some are banded and then we have those that are counting down how many sleeps until their big day (thats you, susannah)... as for myself and a few others...this is the early stages for us and we are just in the stages of visiting surgeons, dieticans etc

----------------------------------------------------

Yet to be banded

Dr Nottle: Melbourne

1st Consult 12/2/07

Dietician appointment: 14/2/07

Physician Appointment: 14/2/07

Thanks getonsamsom - Its always comforting to know that a couple of small vices can continue to play a small role in life. I will keep a close eye on the booze.

G'day Rightsize:)

Welcome to the Forum :D

There's not a lot of activity on this Aussie roll call thread, however there are many threads for you on this forum site. A few are from Melbourne Australia and made there own Melbourne chat thread. So I look forward to and welcome some chat and activity in here at "aussie roll call" :)

Now to answer your question about Alcohol, I guess I'm a casual social drinker and get drunk probably 3 times a year hahaa. So alcohol does not play a big part in my life. Since my surgery of course it has remained the same to pretty non existent. Like a few have mentioned alcohol is empty calories, so I guess you will weigh up your choices at the time. I'm working really hard to stay low calorie and low fat as possible. I can't afford the luxury of alcohol calories lol. I can't see how if your careful a few drinks will do much harm.

Amourette: Welcome to the Forum :) Feel free to drop in and share your journey anytime. I'm still in early days of my banding. I struggled for the first 2 weeks. I seemed to bounce out from that struggle for the past 3 weeks and been on cloud nine (heaven) However I had an extremely emotional day today and wanted to fall back into "Bad" habbit eating. I was looking for food for my comfort. It shattered me becuase I thought I had passed through that stage. I guess it's always around to remind and taunt me.

CHEERS to all Happy, Healthy Eating :)

I guess in a way food is similar to cigarettes... I gave up smoking 3 years ago and still occasionally think about them and even look around the house for one. Food... i most probably will look around and want it way after im banded but its just being strong enough to say... no!! and looking at the achievements made and those going to be made.

-------------------------------------------------------

yet to be banded

1st consult: 12/2/07 Dr Nottle. Melbourne

Appointments with physician and dietician: 14/2/07

Welcome to amourette and Rightsize and Gerbera!!!

Feel free to come and chat with us in the melb chat thread:)

Hope to see you all in there