Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Northern NJ's out there??

Hi:

Just thought I would throw this out and see if there are any other bandsters from northern New Jersey who would be interested in sharing great food finds, great grocery stores, restaurants that are accomodating, great walking paths or fat-friendly gyms, or just chat. I KNOW there must be some because there were 8 people in my pre-surgery conference alone!!! And there were 100's at the seminar!!!

Come on you New Jersey folk. Say hi!!

Ruthie

Banded 7-11-06

First Fill scheduled 9/5/06

Dr. N. Bertha/St. Clare's Dover Bariatric Center

I'd quote our state slogan but wasn't the last one a bust because it was borrowed from another state?? LOL You HAVE to love New Jersey!

I'm from dirty jerzey :rolleyes:

Well there are really no great finds, everything pretty much is the same as before banding cept I cant take big bites or eat as much. But all in all, I eat everything. I've heard of Dr. Bertha..... is he/she also associated with Morristown?

Hi! Welcome! I am from NJ, Morristown, was banded by Abkin exactly 1 year before you. I am down about 75 pounds. I was banded at MMH I don't know if they did it at St, Claire's when I was banded. How are you feeling? are you losing? Have you been to the support group meeting? I missed this last one. I will be there in September. Hope to see you there.

Hi NJChick and Seppi:

Yes Dr. Bertha also works out of Morristown NJChick and no, St. Clare's Dover just opened their bariatric surgery unit in January Seppi.

I chose St. Clare's because I had out-patient knee surgery at Morristown and woke up to about 50 people recovering and the grumbling horrified me. Call me odd but I have that in my head so decided to try St. Clare's. My primary insisted I go with Bertha because he has done so many surgeries. I personally thought Dr. Abkin was a bit more friendly at the seminar but anyway. I trust our primary. And Seppi- that's cool we share the same band-date though different year. I hope to do as well as you have!!!!

Hey, it's GREAT to hear from "youse Jersey girls"!!! We go out to eat usually once a week and I have found Quiet Man Pub in Dover is so nice about accomodating my needs as well as two chains Lone Star in Whippany (they actually drained their Soup for me while I was still on liquids) and Red Lobster in Roxbury. I contacted Morris Co Parks (we live in Morris co) and they have about 5 parks with paved trails if you are interested in walking. Also in Rockaway, there is paved path around Parks Lake which is just lovely, again if you are in to walking.

I have my first fill on Tuesday....am so ready for it. My port can be easily felt so I am hoping for a non-nightmare. How have you guys done with fills???

Again, thanks for responding. Any ideas about stuff us northern NJ folk can do please share.

Ruthie

Banded 7-11-06

Dr. Bertha/St. Clare's Dover Bariatric Center

They Ruthie, good luck tomorrow with your fill. I'm sure it will go well. My fills went fine, they don't hurt and was pretty quick.

I don't live close enough to be able to meet you but its cool being able to chat and its wonderful that your local food establishments catered to your needs. I never asked for anything special when I went out (in the beginning) I just ate what i could like Soups or chili's, anything mashed. I stayed away from places to eat until I was on mushies.

The hospital I went to for support group was hackensack, it really was a joke b/c of the people there... IMHO it wasn't run well. There was one woman who hogged the entire meeting and well.... I never went back b/c other folks had told me she does that ALL the time lolol.

If you'd like to join us on the Monthly NJ chat (September's Chat) we'd love to have you. Although the girls are from all over the states, we share a nice support group right here.

Have a happy Labor Day

Good luck on the fill, it was really easy for me. Dr. Bertha is wonderful when doing them, he explained everything . I was really anxious but he put me at ease almost immediately. Patriots path is also good for walking. I haven't walked it yet but I know it goes forever. Also the track around horse shoe lake in Roxbury is nice.

Hi Ruthie! Another Jersey girl here, and another Abkin/Bertha patient. Don't worry about your fill; Dr. Bertha is extremely practiced at them and it will go like a charm.

WRT walking trails: I just heard that Split Rock Reservoir up in Rockaway/Btn Township has 13 miles of trails. I can't wait to explore them, but haven't done so yet. It's gorgeous up there!!

Hi Guys and thanks for the encouraging words about my first fill. I am actually excited about having it because I eat and then could eat again. I am ready for that "full feel" I had when first banded. I hope Dr. Bertha will be doing the fill--- really don't know who is scheduled. He has those little perfect "surgeon hands" so I am sure he does a superb job (okay I confess- I think he's too cute and stared at his hands during the pre-surgery conference...lol). Their office hasn't given me any direction as far as preparing for the fill so I am thinking maybe only liquids after midnight and nothing to eat or drink (except sips of water) at all 5 or 6 hours prior. I also understand from reading other people's post that I should be prepared to stay for an hour to drink Water.

NJ Chick I teach close to Hackensack (Fair Lawn) so I am familiar with Bergen Co. I totally hear what you are saying about someone taking over a support group. I too have had that experience and I get "squirmy" and bored. And thanks for the invite to the chat....I will check it out.

And no Seppi, I haven't been to any support groups. DH had a stroke a while back (yes, it sucks) and his former caregiver didn't work at night. We have a new caregiver starting Tuesday who will be living here during the week so maybe I can get out and check out the groups. Do you go to the one at their office, at Dover or at Olde Mill??

And hello Alexandra and thanks for saying hi. Wow you've done great on your weight loss journey. Congrats!!!! What an inspiration. Haven't checked out trails at Split Rock. I take DH with me and push him in his wheelchair so he can get some fresh air too so I look for paved trails. But that is a beautiful part of the county.

Have a great week....with the fill, the new caregiver (especially a live-in) and starting back to school on Thursday it's a rather crazy week. Yikes.

Ruthie

I am having my first consultation with Dr. Abkin tomorrow and am looking for any info I can get. I have been researching this surgery for about 14 months, did the seminar and was all ready, but I have to admit the closer I get the more nervous I get. I hoping everyone gets the jitters and not just me. :faint: Also worried about insurance, I hear its a pain in butt to get approved.

Thanks

Hi Tiger,

Come to an Abkin/Bertha banding support group! you'll get to meet a bunch of bandsters face to face and ask all the questions you want. Don't worry about Dr. A; he's very nice and will put you at ease. (Tell him I said HI and that I'm doing fine! :biggrin1: )

Hi Alexandra,

I am in the sussex county area. are there any local meetings around here you know of. I would love to go one and get as much info from people who have had it done. You guys are the experts at this seeing as you've been through it already.

Thanks so much

tigger

Hi Tigger!

Yes, there are lap-band support groups at Dover/St. Clare's Hospital. I know it meets twice a month but am not sure when or what part of the hospital. Call the main # and ask for the Bariatric Surgical Center and ask them.

I too researched it for a long time but knew me well enough if I kept putting it off I would keep putting it off longer. So, as the saying goes, fish or cut bait, I signed up for the consults and met with the surgeon and set a date. I wanted to wait until school was out for the summer so I had from April to July to think about it. It was way too long. I almost backed out but am SO glad I did not. The closer I got to surgery date the more nervous I was but again.....I am soooooo glad I did it. I am out 8 weeks and have more energy than I have had in years. Personally, it took me a few weeks to adjust to whole thing but I admit I don't do change easily. And it is change. You still have to make food choices and make yourself get off your duff and move!!!! You don't have to adjust overnight just inch by inch.

Good luck!

Ruthie

banded 7-11-06

Dr. Bertha/St. Clare's-Dover

Sorry, I don't know of any out in Sussex specifically. Are you close to Port Jervis? There's a very busy practice up there, Dr. Kwon I believe, and they may have a support group going. Sorry I don't know more. :couch2:

Dr. Abkin has asked whether I would like to have my surgery done at Morristown Memorial Hospital or at St. Clares in Dover. I was wondering if anybody here could give me some pros and cons of each hospital. Trying to figure which one would be better. My insurance Company will fully cover both Hospitals so I can't even use that as a medium to make my decision.

Thanks

Tigger33:help:

Hi Tigger: In my opinion Morristown is the better known and more respected hospital, which it deserves. It has a wonderful reputation and has been well-managed. Again, this is my opinion. When I first became acquainted with area hospitals (too acquainted via my DH's heart attack, heart by-pass, heart transplant at Col-Presb in NYC, etc) I was so impressed with Morristown.

Now, all this being said, Morristown is also one of the area's largest. I had out-patient knee surgery there. I woke up in extreme pain with stuff all over my knee (huge ice bags and stuff) in a recovery area of about 50 people in one large room. One guy was yelling because he had tried to pull out his catheter and generally it was so noisey I felt a panic attack coming on. I chose Dover St. Clare's purely on that experience. Their recovery room is cozy and only holds like maybe 10-20 people. There are fabric dividers between each patient and you don't feel like you are in a cattle yard. The nurses are incredibly attentive checking on you every few minutes it seemed. It was so quiet and calming. It was much more to my liking. St. Clare's was mismanaged for many years and their reputation has suffered. MY DH has told me to let him die before ever going back to their ER. However, they have spent a lot of money creating the new bariatric surgery center and have hired great people. The director of the center has called/e-mailed me every 2 weeks to check on me. The nutritionist came to see me in recovery to check on me. Dover-St. Clare's is small and the parking is literally right at the door. For me, I definitely made the right decision.

Again, just my opinion.

Ruthie