Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Northern NJ's out there??

HI everyone my name is Rita-Ann I too was banded by Abkin on 8-11-06 lost 16 the first 2 weeks I dont get that full feeling as easy as I did now that I am on mushies,going for a 6 wk on the 28th I guess we will chatt about a fill. what actually happens the day of the fill. very nervous.:D :help: :help:

Hi all, I'm Fran, also northern NJ. I'm from Butler. I was banded by Dr. Pupkova in Aug of 05, but she left so Dr. Bertha took me on. It has been an experience, but I never will regret it. I have lost 98lbs in a little over a year and feel great. Eating still can be tricky, but learning to stay away from what I know I personally can't eat. The best part of all of this is the compliments, the energy to keep up with my three kids (9, 7, & 19mths), and my new found confidence in myself.

I've had four fills so far and they were a piece of cake. What helps is that my port sticks out and is very easy to find. Usually once I step into the Radiology room they have me out in 20 minutes. They are very good at what they do. Hope everything goes fine.

As for the walking, I'm trying to walk more but am always running around. Both the older kids are on traveling soccer teams and I am head coach for my daughter's team and assistant for my son's. This keeps me active for at least three days a week.

I also haven't been checking this site that much, but I will be looking forward to checking it more often. Talk to you soon.

RitaAnn: as Fran said it really is a quick and fairly easy thing. I have had one fill. The hardest part for me was waiting for the surgeon to get to Radiology. He had a problem in surgery and we (the 4 people getting fills) had to wait for him to finish. Well, they told us we had an option to reschedule but none of us wanted to do that. Anyway- they take you in, lay down, he numbs the area of the port, inserts port syringe and saline and then let's you test how it feels. You watch the whole thing on a TV type monitor. I was chicken and didn't get enough of a fill. I need another!!

Wow Fran you have done great!!!! What an inspiration. I had heard Dr. Pupkova had left and wondered why???? She was at my seminar in March. Hmmmm....who knows. I love Dr. Bertha though he is all business. He's so cute he can be forgiven for that...lol.

Glad you guys said hi. I live in Morris County in Rockaway Township. Nice to have others in the area to chat with!!

Ruthie

:clap2: It's so nice to have local woman to be able to share with. I have very few people to chat about this with since I told only my husband, 2 brothers and my oldest son and my mom. I did't tell any friends or even my in-laws. I didn't want to hear the junk I know I would have gotten.

I alomost can't wait for a fill. I feel as if I can eat "Normal" well. not like before, but alot more than I thought. I will talk to Dr. Abkin on the 28th and see what he says. I am also going to the support group they have at no charge to the patient on the 27th. Do any of you go to that? I'd think it's a great thing.

keep in touch Ruthie and nice to meet you

Rita-Ann

Vernon, NJ:cool:

DEFINITELY go to the support group meetings! They are so helpful, I can't overstate it. There are two each month, and the second one (on the last Wednesday) is led by the nurse practitioner in the practice. I haven't been to one in a while since it conflicts with the pre-op seminars I like to attend, but maybe I can make it this month. The other meeting is held on the second Wednesday of the month, and I'm often at those as well.

Come on down!! :)

Alexandra:

thats great that you do pre-op, I am so greatful for all the support I get from all my fellow bandsters. what a great bunch of people.

I hope to meet you at a meeting I am going on the 27th hopefully we can chat there.

Rita-Ann

Alexandra:

thats great that you do pre-op, I am so greatful for all the support I get from all my fellow bandsters. what a great bunch of people.

I hope to meet you at a meeting I am going on the 27th hopefully we can chat there.

Rita-Ann:D

I haven't been to a support group because my DH is disabled and I am at home with him at night. Our caregiver of 4 and 1/2 years stayed with us until after my surgery and then basically retired. THAT was July and finding someone reliable, trustworthy and wouldn't freak because my husband wanted to take his meds at 10:15 instead of 10:00 (I am not kidding) has been a challenge. Today, Monday, I took the day off (I teach in Bergen County) to orient a new caregiver which I pray might be a good match. Whew this stuff is tough. ANYWAY.....IF this person works out maybe I can (hope, hope, hope) attend a support group meeting. One day at a time.

Rita Ann....there is another Bertha/Abkins patient in Vernon because we were in the same pre-op class together. He and I also ended up having our first fills at the same time. He was banded a week after me. I have absolutely no memory of his name though. Did this surgery take our brain cells away??? LOL

Alexandra....that is great you do the pre-op seminars. What a fine example you are too!!!

Wish us luck with out new caregiver!!

Ruthie

Ruthie:

not to sound stupid but what does DH stand for? and I am not working right now is there anything I can do to free up some time for you, or help you out with shopping? just let me know but in the mean time the power of prayer is wonderful so I will say a couple for you both

Rita-Ann

RitaAnn: How very dear of you to offer. I will certainly keep that in mind!! Wow!!! How nice you are!!!

DH stands for dear husband. It took me 2 months to learn a few of those abbreviations. Just ask....that's what we are all here for....even the newbies like me....2 months and 7 days out.

Ruthie

Hey Fran and Welcome !!!!

I'm from NJ, and not far from Butler (actually a stone throw away :eek: I had my surgery in Hackensack.

:)

Ruthie:

I guess I am a newbie too then, I am 5 wks out. I wore Jeans and high heeled shoes for the first time in years last night. I was feeling so good about myself. I was on cloud 9. My husband thought I looked HOT to. So that was even better. he said ever since the banding I have a different out look more positive and confidence. (SO GIRLS buy your self a little pair of black heels and let them work there magic!) wink-wink

NJ Chick

Hi nice to meet you, I take my youngest son to Hackensack, in the IMUS building, he has hearing issues and learning disablities. they are wonderful down there. state of the ART. you picked a great place to have your surgery.

We aren't that far from each other either. Do you go to any support groups? I am. They are very informative. wish they had one up here, there's more of US then I ever thought.:)

talk to you soon

Rita-Ann

Hello All

I live in Passaic county. I was banded and also work at Chilton Memorial Hospital. Dr.Vadim Gritsus did my banding in May 2006. He runs support groups at the Collins Pavillion at the hospital. Anyone can call there office and find out about the meeting if your intrested, 973-696-9050. I have a 4CC band and am 3CC filled but lately I feel alot less restriction and that worries me cause I have lost about 30lbs and am scared of gaining it back. Would love to be a part of the Jersey Board!!

Good Liuck to All

Cheryl